Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Getting starting with a CC-01?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

Default Getting starting with a CC-01?

Hey everyone. Over the past few weeks I've been getting more and more into RC, and after doing some looking around I've ended up here looking on buying my first 'proper' RC Truck! Although I've got a few questions I'm hoping you guys can answer for me

What I'm interested in: After looking at several hundred pictures of the CC01 models, I want to build myself a Pajero...

My questions as of now are:
- as a beginner, have you got any intial and a must recommendations for me?

- when I realised that I wanted to build myself a Pajero based off an CC01, I looked around many RC sales websites trying to find one I liked, but after looking at the picture thread, I saw that most people are buying theirs as kits and being able to paint a fresh design onto the body, this is what I want to do myself. Being from the UK, can anybody direct me to a good place to start when looking for a kit? (doesn't matter if its out of the UK, just trying to look around really)

- What are the benefits of building your own kit instead of buying a RTR?

- That leads me to this, if I want to build a kit intead of a RTR, would I have to buy the kit without the body, and then buy the body seperately that fits the CC01?

Thank you for taking your time to read this if you do!
Tierra.
Tierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Getting starting with a CC-01?

Beginner recommendations, uh, have fun and stuff? :p It's an excellent rig for a first timer. CC01 was my first RC car and first kit ever. As for kits and RTR its like this for the CC01. Every kit comes with a body shell, be it lexan or proper styrene hardbody which the Pajero is. The benefit of building your own kit is that you get a much greater feeling for how the whole thing works and it makes it easier to diagnose issues and perform rebuilds and repairs. Plus you have the option of installing upgrades as you build the kit instead of having to tear it down to do a mod. The other benefit is that its awesome to build the kit. Plus you really should use ball bearings everywhere and a RTR will come with some plastic and brass 'bearings' that are pure crap.

Have a look throught this recent thread and see if it doesn't answer some of your questions. Also you should be searching and reading this forum as most of the answers to your questions have already been answered before. ESC, Motor, Wheels/Tyres & GRU Set Up
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I say get a kit and build it using bearings, add some decent tires that fit the look you like and go have some fun with it.

When I first picked mine up I had planned to buy a bunch of upgrades for it, but it does surprisingly well with some good tires and keeping the weight down low.
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1 View Post
I say get a kit and build it using bearings, add some decent tires that fit the look you like and go have some fun with it.

When I first picked mine up I had planned to buy a bunch of upgrades for it, but it does surprisingly well with some good tires and keeping the weight down low.
Yeh 100% this. Tyres make the most difference to a fairly stock CC01.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Great place to start, this cc01.

Kit helps you understand how it all works. On cc01 you're just paying more for less so to speak. Get the kit. It has everything you need to start, except a charger I think. You should be able to build it in a few hours or an afternoon. It's not difficult.

I recommend building it stock. No upgrades. It's actually quite capable. Once you've lived with it a bit you'll have a better understanding of what you want to get out of it and then make smart upgrades.
Of mine, the most fun ones are the ones that are all stock except for tires and a gear reduction.

Have fun!
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply guys, I think I'm soon to buy my first RC truck then haha!
It seems it's similar to building a PC then rather just buying a ready made one, you get to see how everything works ect.. I think I'll definitely be getting the Pajero kit, and keeping it stock for the time being. And see how it goes on from there!

A quick question about the pajero kit, you mentioned that you think it comes with everything in the box. Does this include radio controls ect? Being completely new to the advanced RC's, I don't really know much about the controller set up's and if/what I'm going to need to buy as well as the kit.

If there's anything else I need I'll just ask here, thanks again.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

It doesn't come with much electronics at all. You'll need a steering servo, a battery and a transmitter and receiver as bare minimum. I would recommend the FlySky GT3-B and its receiver. Both can be had for about $65 and replacement receivers are $7. Servo about $40-50 and about half that for a battery.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 AM   #8

Thanks derb. After looking around it seems that they've got loads of different types of servos for mosters ect.. have you got any recommendations for a good servo for this? and what does that exactly do for the RC?

EDIT: I looked up a better explanation of the servo than the one I read before, doesn't the kit come with a servo considering how important they are? Or does it but the stock version isn't very good?

Last edited by Tierra; 01-08-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

CC-01 doesn't come with a servo, don't go crazy on torque, stock CC won't handle it. I use Hi-Tec HS645MG, cheap, durable and really water resistant.
If you want a pejero body, get it with the kit, you'll go broke buying it separately.
I bought a CC after a RC4WD TRail Stomper and an Axial SCX10, looking for something less-capable for not-so hard terrain. Not hatin' just saying consider terrain you want to conquer.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #10

Thanks for the reply man, I'll look into that servo then and yeah I can see where you're coming from about the terrain deal, i don't know the exact technical way to put this, but the CC01 seems a lot more realistic to me in terms of the way the wheels are positioned inwards? I've looked up a lot of videos on YouTube of the CC01 and I think it looks great! The terrain around my area looks like the same kind of terrain the guys on YouTube seem to be using theirs in, mud slopes ect, and less rocks.

Is this because of the flex on the CC01? I'm assuming its not as free as other models like the SCX10, where the wheels seem to be further out from the fenders? Does this really limit the climbing aspect when it comes to the CC01?

Also, whilst I wait around before actually ordering the RC, can anybody recommend some good accessorie websites for stuff like, light/roof racks, bumpers and other stuff? Just so I can start getting some ideas on how I want mine to look

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #11

Thanks for the reply man, I'll check that servo out now
And also on the terrain, I've been watching a lot of vids on YouTube of the CC01 and I've got to say it looks impressive, I don't really think I'd have the chance to use it on the terrain that the scx10 can handle anyway based on where I live.
Another reason why I'm more leaning towards the CC10 is because of how to me, it looks more realistic, I think it's got something to do with the wheels not being so far out from the wheel arches/fenders like they are on other models is this why it doesn't seem to be so good on terrain that the scx can handle? Is the flex restricted quite badly because of this, or by rising the body can this problem be avoided?

In the mean time whilst I wait around before actually ordering, has anybody got any references/links for me so that I can look at some accessories for the car? Stuff like light/roof racks, bumpers ect... I've been going through the CC01 image thread and have picked out the kind of accessories and how I want mine to look, but its proving kind of difficult when it comes to finding those parts

Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Front flex is obvisouly limited by the independent suspension setup, but you can space the body up by putting spaces between the tub and the fron skid that the lower control arm all attach too, and then just space the ball joint for the upper control arm down from the tub as well.

As for parts, start browing RC4WD and ProLine for accessories. There is heaps to choose from from other places just get googling. Also check out asiatees.com for the full GPM hopup range.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #13

Yeah after doing some looking around at other threads, I see what you mean. Now I'm interested in upgrading when I haven't even got the kit yet haha!
I just need to make this clear about everything I'm going to need to get the RC running when it comes. So far as what I understand I need:

The kit itself
Transmitter and receiver
Servo
The tamiya paint for car body specific
And of course tools! I just need to know, will I need my soldering iron?

But is there anything else? I'm seeing a lot of people talking about ESC and GRU. Will I need these for stock? Or are they a future upgrade.

As of now that's it really. In the meantime I'm going to look around more threads at the kind of mods others bought first for theirs after problems they got, to try and avoid these myself

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to find out as much as I can so I can understand everything really. Thanks for your time btw.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I think you are leaving out the battery and charger.

The kit comes with a basic ESC that some people use without problem and the GRU is something that can be done at a later date.

My opinion would be to build the truck and see what it does prior to upgrading anything, that way you can spend your upgrade money on what matters to you most.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #15

Haha oh yeah! completely slipped my mind then that did

That's it then. I'll be back here or in a new build thread when the kit arrives I suppose until them I'm just going to keep browsing around... Thanks again to everyone for your input
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #16

Just wondering, instead of me going through pages and pages of threads looking at different models, and because not everyone listed their specs in the image thread,
Would those of you who are reading this and own a CC01 model, care taking a few photos of your RC, like your under carriage and modded components ect and possibly listing the kind of mods/brands you've used? Also if you wouldn't mind, could you give me an estimate of how much you've spent on your CC01?

Whilst waiting around i keep coming back to the forums trying to get some ideas/inspiration for mine! I'm just trying to get an estimate of prices ect and how much I'm going to want to save up for mods now if I decide on getting them.. And trying to find out the best/popular brands for each component.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Funny. Reading this thread makes me want to buy a new, unmodified chassis tub and start over. Mine's so tweaked I get lost sometimes.

I still can't make up my mind on steering, though. Everyone's so split on GPM vs stock vs front mount servo vs...
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #18

Haha do it man I'm certainly getting mine! Should be placing the order by the end of the week. I'm actually finding one of the hardest decisions choosing the colours but seeing as the pajero shell is a hardbody and is painted on the outside, I can always change it if I reallllly didn't like my choice of colour.

And yeah, that's why I keep asking about mods because on a lot of threads I've read that the main problems people address straight away from the stock are the wheels, rear suspension/links and steering! I'll just have to see how it goes.
I just can't seem to leave the forum alone, I'm so interested in it now haha
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierra View Post
Just wondering, instead of me going through pages and pages of threads looking at different models, and because not everyone listed their specs in the image thread,
Would those of you who are reading this and own a CC01 model, care taking a few photos of your RC, like your under carriage and modded components ect and possibly listing the kind of mods/brands you've used?
How do you think we know about these things? By reading threads and doing searches, etc. You can't expect us to babysit you when no-one did so for us. Just go through the first 2 pages and you'll find heaps of info. I don't mean to sound rude, and I'm more than happy to tap out a quick diatribe on the basic mods and problems, but I won't write a thesis on modding a CC01.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I still suggest you assemble a basic kit and go have fun with it. If you look at my build thread you will see that I put my money in nice electronics and went at it with a stock truck!

I hav tried a couple sets of tires and I have another set on the way. I promise that you will be pleasantly surprised at the capabilities of this platform, as have I AND several of my scaling buddies.

Getting starting with a CC-01? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just starting blmptek Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 10-14-2011 01:23 PM
Starting out drgrcr74 Redcat Crawlers 7 11-11-2010 05:35 PM
Im starting not to like my cc-01 traxxas4fun Tamiya XC/CC01 28 12-07-2009 01:41 PM
Im starting to wonder Kraqa Chit Chat 20 09-10-2009 08:42 PM
Starting Jigsisme Paint and Body 4 09-06-2009 09:52 PM