Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC01 Fest..3 builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default CC01 Fest..OS's CC01 fleet thread.

It's a CC01 fest!

I build a little off road course in the backyard, and turns out it's pretty easy for the 2.2's. The 1.9's on the other hand have much more of a challenge getting around and it's a ton of fun wheeling them around. I have a fleet of CC01's in various states of construction, and since spring is here, it's time to get them up and running. Plan is to get a few rigs up and running here, and do a couple of different builds, from mild to wild. The goal is to build them up without spending another dime!

Here's what I'm starting with for the first build..only the F150 on the left is a runner at the moment...have 4 total chassis, and 1 partial to experiment with.

Decided to take the Jeep body and the green Pajero chassis and start the "mild" build. Chassis was already modded a bit with a mini body lift, modded lower links that need work as they steered horribly, brick mod done, and to my suprise, an RC4WD GRU that I didn't remember putting in there at all.

Decided to start in the back. Saw a mod somewhere where someone shimmed the rear axle with a pair of bushings. Tried it, and it works like a charm! Will be adding this to each of my builds.

Next, wanted to do something about the lower links. Seen a ton of ways to do it, and wasn't sure which way to go, just knew I wanted to relocate the links from the bottom of the axle...was fabbing a bracket from scratch and it dawned on me that I was reinventing the wheel. Took the stock lowers, popped the ball out and press fit in a plastic shim. Using a screw to keep it all aligned, I epoxied the lower link to the axle. I used "Plastic Weld" - never heard of it before, but seems to work very well. After it set overnight, I made
some aluminum reinforcement plates for the bottom that moved the lower link to just in front of the axle.

Triple walled brass tube bent up into a truss for the top.

Mocked up..

And painted up and installed. Had to keep the 5mm ball links at the bottom as the TRX ball ends I was going to use limited flex...geometry worked out perfect, was worried about the little upper links, but no axle steer at all and just enough downtravel for a CC chassis. Still have to sleeve the links though.

Wasn't happy with the rear shocks, so hacked up an old CR01 trans mount and bolted it inside the chassis. Cut some holes in the chassis and used some TLT shocks. Get a little over an inch of direct rear wheel travel with this set-up.

Now for the tricky part. I hate how the jeep body sits on the CC chassis. The front wheel tucks too far back into the wheelwell imo.

So took off the lower arm mount and hacked off 10mm at the back. That takes some structure off, so I CA'd some styrene in there to beef it back up. I mounted the arms and used the pieces I cut off up front as a spacer.

Worked out pretty well. I had to trim the C's a bit, add adjustable uppers and swap the lower shock mount for a ball end as it bound up, but looks like it's going to work out ok.

Only issue is I'll have to trim the front fender a bit. Not even sure what that indent was for, but it's going to have to go.

Much better!

and the chassis as it sits. Looks like it has a lot of rake, but I tweaked the body mounts so it sits fairly level (ish)

Front completely clears, though the rear still needs some trimming...quite a bit of it.

More madness to come

Last edited by OSRC; 08-06-2014 at 09:32 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: CC01 Fest..3 builds

I'll be following this build, what exactly does the bushing mod do for the rear axle?
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Think I saw it here somewhere, though I forget who posted it (or I'd give him credit!) The diff can slide back and forth a bit on the axle splines and doesn't always make consistent contact with the pinion. The bearings shim it right up. Never even noticed it before, but definitely picked up on it when I pulled it apart and checked it out.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looking great mate, I hate to big note myself but the axle bearing mod was mine. I couldn't believe that two bearings fit in there so perfectly and they take the lash down to almost zero.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Derb, I applaud you sir. Never even noticed the shim was even needed till I read your thread and tried it myself. I've built nearly a dozen of these rigs and never gave that a second thought. Great thinking mate!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

will be watching, love the cc-01's eventulaay id love to have as many as you, but my one will suffice for now
scorpion ax-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Very cool mods there!!! I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure!!
the-gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've got RC sickness...I'm at work staring at the pics thinking about what's next...lol. Jonesing to get back in the shop and get to work!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i think those bumps on the chassie is so the stock palero lightl buckets have plenty of clearence
Koldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

You are probably correct sir! Good thinking.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Made a little progress.

Bodywork has begun, nothing fancy - sticking with a mostly stock look for this one. Trimmed the steps off the sides, clearanced the rear fenders a bit for the tires and cleaned up the bumper. Work in progress.

Trimmed out the front fenders to clear the tires as well, and since removing the fenders takes away some of the chassis rigidity, fabbed a cross brace for the suspension.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Why not trim the side steps all the way back to the front flares? Also that is the smoothest looking body chopping I've seen.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

If you look at most of the 90's jeeps, this is the fender style. Very few have the full runner boards. Thought it looked decent, and if nothing else it gives a little visual difference from most of the other jeep bodies out there. Plus, I suck at bodywork Have no patience for it.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

more progress..

Turns out moving the arms forward 1cm is a lot more work than I thought.

I picked up some universals (Eracing Pro? Rebranded GPM?) and they totally don't fit. They are a bit wider than the dogbones right at the Chub, and they rub terribly. Can't get more than 20 deg. steering, so they are not going to work. I wet back to the dogbones and went to work clearancing the hubs. I took a lot of plastic off for clearance, so I got out the epoxy and some 1.5mm styrene and reinforced them. Pretty strong, time will tell if they hold up ok. If not, some aluminum hubs will have to go on.

Total steering with the universals. Uh-oh.

Reinforced hubs

Painted and mounted. No more rubbing and full steering lock.

Started working on paint and some details. Roof will be black once the tan has set for a few days. Added a bit of detail to the front bumper. Modding a PL winch so it only looks 1/2 cheesy and a little bull bar. WIP of course.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

not like it maters now those indents are where your wires for the lights on the light kit have a little space so they do not get pinched going into the tub.

also.. I like the color.
Absurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

You are exactly right bud - good call!

1 down, 3 more to go (Found enough parts to build a 5th chassis, heaven help me, but I am going to get all of these running). Mild build is done...going for a stock jeep look, with a little more capability than the stock chassis can offer. Think it's there. Didn't go crazy with details, just tried to finish it off nice and clean. Runs a 4:1 GRU and a 65t motor on 2S...going to have a nice scale speed.

Unfortunately, it's pouring out so some bench shots will have to do

Pushing out the front wheels was totally worth the effort.

And of course, mandatory flex shot.

and on to build #2 - WILD! Goal here is to push the boundaries of the CC chassis.... This chassis was pretty hacked up from the PO, so I had no qualms about hacking it further.

Chassis got a major haircut:

Front skid shaved down and TL01B arms added:

Front and rear suspension..rear axle is shimmed, and a 3 point truss added. Needed a little more strength here then the Jeep so went with a stronger design here. Spacers added to match the front track. It's pretty close, may have to tweak it a bit.

More to come.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

WOW! Can't wait to see hoe the wild build turns out.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Hell Yeah that Jeep has a nice stance to it. And Idk what it is about these little cc01 tubs but there just plain badass and I Like the looks of the extended arms. Can't wait to see it come together. Are those stock axle shafts or custom made? Wonder if they will work on mine. I wouldn't mind grabbing some cv's and cut them in half then sleeve them and weld them up.
balln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Love these little rigs. Everyone and their mom runs an Axial now, nice to have something different. I like the challenge of modifying them...I've had 12 over the years, all different.

The parts are all stock Tamiya. TL01B (Wild Dagger, Blackfoot, etc) parts with the stock CC knuckles. Drilled out the arms for the 4mm inner shaft, though I need to source a slightly longer one for each side. Keeping my eye out for a set of universals too, the plastic ball ends with drive pins won't last long under a high torque situation.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Put on a set of 2.2's and there was no way they were going to clear. So I narrowed out the wheelwells.

Hacked off the rear of the wells. Kinda tricky as it's close to the gearbox cover.

A little plastic weld and some styrene later...tried to follow the contours of the chassis as much as possible. Looks a little rough, will spray the chassis black later to blend it all together. Do have a bit more fill to do here too.

From the top compared to a stock chassis. Much narrower now - should clear up to about a 5" tire now at full lock.

Time to work on the bottom. Did a bunch of dremeling and fab work this morning. Wanted to get rid of the driveshaft hanging down, and get as much of a flat bottom as possible.

A Highlift chassis steering block was a perfect fit.

Now that I had room, fabbed up a set of skids for the bottom. The drivehshaft cover will be welded on later.

CC01 Fest..3 builds - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for prerunner builds. post builds here wcdfmt510 General Scale Talk 19 06-27-2013 09:48 PM
1.9 What I wanted to take to axial fest.. Absurd Axial Wraith 6 03-09-2013 10:49 AM
River fest Docwolf Kansas 2 06-10-2012 11:28 AM
Sunday Crawler Fest JEFF THE JET Missouri 36 08-06-2008 03:48 PM
e-fest jetboat Chit Chat 0 01-04-2007 09:57 AM