Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Problem in drivetrain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #1

Default Problem in drivetrain

I picked up a CC01 in trade about a year ago. It had some issues when I got it and I can't for the life of me get the bugs worked out.

I put in all the electronics and it seemed to work okay until I tried to go over some rocks. What happened is that when the drive train is put under tension, the front diff clicks and the tires won't turn. Whats really strange is that if I move the pinion backward on the motor shaft the problem will move to the rear diff.

A couple of the chassis screw holes are a bit worn. I also think that the motor mount is flexing under torque thus causing the strange issue with the pinion placement.

What I think, and please let me know if you have any experience with this, is that if I epoxy shut the chassis mount holes and re-drill/tap them and get a metal motor mount the problem will cease. Anyone encounter this before?
Topekacrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Problem in drivetrain

Yup. Screws are not holding the cover down tight enough allowing the internal gears to walk a bit. Very common issue.

Slightly longer machine screws may help, but will wear out eventually too. Best bet is to drill them out completely, get some longer machine screws, and then bolt them from the bottom of the chassis. Holds the cover tight and is far easier than filling, drilling and tapping.

Might be a good idea to pick up a new set of gears too while you're in there. Usually they just click - if they are skipping that bad, probably a good idea.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #3

Default Re: Problem in drivetrain

I'll try that. Thanks OSRC.
Topekacrawls is offline   Reply With Quote

Problem in drivetrain - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EXO drivetrain problem. Please help. Soulo747 Non Crawler RC's 3 04-12-2012 10:19 AM
Help with Drivetrain! Reaper09 Large Scale Rigs 6 05-01-2011 12:31 PM
Losi Mini Crawler drivetrain problem ausjethro General Crawlers 2 04-26-2011 02:22 PM
Drivetrain problem with my R1... iheartoldskool G-Made Crawlers 6 08-08-2010 08:37 PM
drivetrain problem wojin Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 08-17-2008 01:20 AM