Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: About to Start My First LCC Build...HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #1

Default About to Start My First LCC Build...HELP

Hey guys,
I'm a new guy...first post. I'm a big Losi fan and and own a heavily modded Aftershock and the new 810 buggy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hey_h1DoYA
I am eager to break into the crawling world and wanted to start with the LCC. Its a little daunting with all of the chioces, but I like options and enjoy the hobby. Can you guys please give me some recommended parts to complete my build. I could spend all day reading, and plan to; but just wanted to ideas to start. Money is really not really an issue but I dont want to go crazy b/c I'm sure to break a few things. Also I will only be crawling for fun, no comps. I know this is a vague request but any help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Drew
drusierdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

well you can start with the stickies at the top of this section, lot of good stuff in those. and like you said, just read, read, read. I've learned a buttload of stuff by doing that, there's seriously a wealth of information on this board if you look for it.
steeltoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #3

Yea after spending the last few days reading, I think maybe the LNC will be a better starting point. Then upgrade from there.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

my son and I just got a LNC and love it. If you have a spektrum radio, just go with the bind n drive!
norcallump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #5

Ah I think I may copy ehills live build featured in another thread....

Comp Crawler Race Roller
Losi TiNi Steering King Pins (LOSA1518 )
Losi Front CV Driveshaft "V3's" (LOSA3196)
Losi Front Spindle Set (LOSA1035)
Losi Hub Carrier Set (LOSA1040)
Losi Rear Hub Carrier Set (LOSA2032)
Losi Graphite Shock Tower Arms (LOSA1114)
Losi 2.75 Spring "Gold" (LOSA5144) x2
Losi Aluminum Center Trans Shaft Set (LOSA3164)
Losi Non-Slipper Top Shaft Gear (LOSA3172)
Losi Aluminum "Dig" Shaft (LOSA3180)
Losi 15t 48p Pinion Gear (LOS4115)
Losi 40 wt Silicone Shock Oil (LOSA5226)
Losi 50 wt Silicone Shock Oil (LOSA5227)
Lunsford Titanium Steering Links
Rocksmith Gear Jelly

But first I want to get her up and running so I still need some help.
I am bidding on a spektrum dx3r w/ 3100 receiver as we speak/type.
I will get the MSX12 Digital Dig Servo. I wasnt sure on a good steering servo but Im sure the Hitec 7950 wouldnt hurt. But here is the question...What motor/esc/battery. It seems like the excelion is OOS at HH. How is the novak goat system?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i wouldnt reccomend the goat system since there have been some problems but their motors are fine. for an esc i would suggest a mamba max pro with your choice of motor 13.5-21.5 or a tekin rs system 13.5-21.5. the hitec 7950 is a great choice. instead of the normal aluminum front c's get the 20* c's and would likely leave the lundsford steering links out unless you can get a good deal on one. for a battery check cheapbatterypacks.com and get one of their elite 3s batteries, for the price they cant be beat
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #7

Perfect just the feedback Im looking for. ok, I know im going to sound like an idiot but what is the difference b/t 13.5 and 21.5. Just put it in laymens terms. I assume it has to do with engine gearing ie more top end - less torque or vice versa. I know nitro and I wonder what would happen if I slapped a nitro mill on one of these, lol
Old 03-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

i was suggesting a motor in the range from 13.5t -faster/less torqu to a 21.5t-slowest/most torque. most go with a 17.5t or 18.5t. i would stay away from the novak ballistic crawler motors as they are very slow and their added torque isnt needed. i would suggest a tekin 17.5t or losi 17.5t to get the best balance of speed and torque
Old 03-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #9

Okay what are your thoughts on this...
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB9553

OR this...
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...o-onecell.html
plus this
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB9406

which setup do you like better? Do I need a a BEC, should I get the MMP instead of the 1 cell?
Old 03-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

the losi setup is good, i have heard good things about it. i would go with a mmp or the mmp1cell and a tekin 17.5t as they seem to be the smoothest out there and you will definitely need a bec with a mmp or the one cell because they have more adjustability with a castle link and depending on your steering servo will determine if a bec is needed with the losi system.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i run a mamba max n titan 21 from a e-maxx cheap n rc bros dig plate to move the weight i had the goat 3 n brushless hated the esc been havn good results with the setup but watch temps
thomass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Default My opinion

I would go with the LCC over the LNC . Losi 17.5 Xcelorin Brush-less motor . Great torque & good wheel speed. Dont forget to order at least 3 pinions. 13 14 & 15. tooth. The kits does not include a pinion gear. I would suggest a MMP for your ESC . Turnigy 1300 mAh 3S Nano packs from Hobby King. Once you set up your Crawler drive it for while and get use to it. Then you'll have a better idea what upgrades you'll want. The LCC has dig too and that to me is whats make Crawling so cool and fun. Get good electronics the first time out , no need to buy twice then. Good luck and welcome to the sickness.
T/C Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #13

Thanks guys I really appreciate you advice. I will place an order soon and post results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/C Hunter View Post
I would go with the LCC over the LNC . Losi 17.5 Xcelorin Brush-less motor . Great torque & good wheel speed. Dont forget to order at least 3 pinions. 13 14 & 15. tooth. The kits does not include a pinion gear. I would suggest a MMP for your ESC . Turnigy 1300 mAh 3S Nano packs from Hobby King. Once you set up your Crawler drive it for while and get use to it. Then you'll have a better idea what upgrades you'll want. The LCC has dig too and that to me is whats make Crawling so cool and fun. Get good electronics the first time out , no need to buy twice then. Good luck and welcome to the sickness.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #14

Okay guys here is the order, please advise if I am missing anything:

LOSB 0822 - MSX12 Dig Servo
LOSA 1114 - Carbon Shock Arms
LOSA 3180 - Aluminum "Dig" Shaft
LOS 4115 - Pinion 15t
LOS 4114 - Pinion 14t
LOS 4116 - Pinion 16t
LOSB 9553 - Xcerlorin 17.5 combo
Hitek 7950S steering servo

I also need a Mamba Max Pro and 3s lipo batt/charger (not sure about the lipo/charger yet?)

(I have already ordered a DX3R and 3100 receiver)

Thanks for taking a second look and for your advice!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
Defy Gravity

i think the xcelorin will work fine for a while...as for a charger, the hyperion eos606i is a great one, and if cheapbatterypacks.com ever gets their elite lipos back in stock, great choice there, if not the hobby king brands are actually decent quality (most of the time).
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
i think the xcelorin will work fine for a while...as for a charger, the hyperion eos606i is a great one, and if cheapbatterypacks.com ever gets their elite lipos back in stock, great choice there, if not the hobby king brands are actually decent quality (most of the time).
I do a lot of business with a shop called overdriverc and would like to continue to support them. They stock losi parts with a focus on LST (1/8th scale monster trucks). Would this charger work:

MultiPro Intelligent Balance Charger
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetai...Charger&cat=49

and are there any decent batteries here:
http://www.overdriverc.com/categories.php?cat=192

If not I will go hobbyking and follow your advice. Just trying to support the good guys! Thanks
Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #17
Defy Gravity

i think you can do better with your 100 bucks than that charger honestly, looks like a dc only version of my imax b6ac that i picked up for 45 bucks.....and nothing jumping at me in their batteries either, the may be good with monsters, but as far as a crawler store, i'm not seeing it lol. check out rpphobby.com in there chargers, checked cbp.com and they're still out of stock, holmes hobbies would be another place to look stateside. i've had great luck with my imax, only complaint is that the manual royally blows. search on here for about the eos606i, a lot of guys run them, and its a very very good charger.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

if you already bought the losi 17.5t/esc combo there is no need to buy a mamba max pro
Old 03-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #19
mrG
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusierdmd View Post
Okay guys here is the order, please advise if I am missing anything:

LOSB 0822 - MSX12 Dig Servo
LOSA 1114 - Carbon Shock Arms
LOSA 3180 - Aluminum "Dig" Shaft
LOS 4115 - Pinion 15t
LOS 4114 - Pinion 14t
LOS 4116 - Pinion 16t
LOSB 9553 - Xcerlorin 17.5 combo
Hitek 7950S steering servo

I also need a Mamba Max Pro and 3s lipo batt/charger (not sure about the lipo/charger yet?)
(I have already ordered a DX3R and 3100 receiver)

Thanks for taking a second look and for your advice!
Skip the xcerlorin system, go with a MMP a tekin motor and 4s batteries I guarantee you won't be disappointed
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #20

looks like xcerloin systems are being discontinued..maybe something new is on the way. But I want to build now, not wait. So the MMP is OOS at HH but they do have the 1 cell.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...=CSEMMBMAXPRO1
Will I have any problems with that? Do I need a seperate BEC?

Which Tekin motor do you recommend
http://search.horizonhobby.com/index...000&N=824+5203
I going to guess its one of those that are OOS
If it is I can order it elsewhere. Thanks