Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: My First Rock Crawler Buildup w/ Losi Night Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My First Rock Crawler Buildup w/ Losi Night Crawler

I'm thinking about removing the stock battery tray and using 1/4" delrin rod to provide cross brace support instead. Do you think this would help to eliminate some of that unused space and weight? I'm thinking something stronger for the steering, personally. Flex I guess is good for not breaking stuff, but I'd prefer something more accurate. Looks like Amazon.com carries all sorts of delrin, so that's easy enough.

Chris
ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys,

Instead of buying more stuff to make some custom battery trays, move the steering servo, etc, I decided to use what I had from the stock truck. Here's some pics:

Here's the trimmed stock battery tray. I figured I could still use the larger 2s 6 cell batteries I have when messing around for longer run times, or use the smaller battery when wanting to compete or just have a more optimal setup.

I haven't fully cut the zip ties yet, because I wanted to make sure they were secure enough first.

Here's a picture of the re-used piece of battery tray to make the new battery tray.

It's a Losi 1650mah 2s Lipo and seems to fit in quite nicely with no binding at full flex either side and only a little rubbing on the bottom side of the receiver at full compression.

I also wanted to experiment with the anti-squat, so this is how I first had it setup, which resulted in low anti-squat front and rear, and when climbing a lot of un-needed flex in the rear with lots of binding when approaching the vertical climb.

I ended up liking this setup better, which had low anti-squat up front and high anti-squat in the rear. It seemed to bind less when hitting the wall initially, and the flex from front to rear seemed more proportional to each other when climbing.

I'll post the little video of the changes in the morning.

Chris
Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Oh, I also removed the rock lights. Tomorrow I'm hoping to solder up the BEC, so I don't have any more initial power-up binding issues and it should be good to go.

Chris
Old 01-03-2012, 01:11 AM   #24
Gold Star Baby!

That aluminum servo mount you were lookin for.... CKRC sells them. I got one for my LCC about a month ago
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #25
Defy Gravity

you're off to a good solid start. only things that really pop out to me are: plastic servo horn, ditch the lowers for something more solid (they will start flexing), and a cheap and easy one is to file or sand the ribs on the skid off, they do hook on things.

the battery tray is a thing that i usually tell people to can right away, but you have your reasons there, and watch the drag link. if the drag link starts to flex it is junk, keep the tierod though, pops over obstacles nicely.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Here's a short video after the few mods I did last night:

Chris (Ravencr)'s Losi Night Crawler Battery Tray & Anti-Squat Mods - YouTube

Thanks for the heads up Redrokin00XJ. I've contacted them to see if they still have some.

ghtpdm5, I was just looking at this servo horn: https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/losa990...7da2ae5154cf3c for my 7955 Hitec. I already broke 2 or 3 of the plastic ones. The lowers are being replaced with the bent titanium lowers from DLuxFab. I'll do that on the lower skid plate...thanks for letting me know. Is there a good recommended drag link folks are using that won't flex like stock one? Thanks for the help,

Chris
Old 01-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys,

I forgot to ask last night, but how/what parts do I need to turnover my shocks? I tried it last night, but the fittings don't work. Is there a kit available with the proper fittings to flip the shocks and move them outboard, using internal springs for the front?

Chris
Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #28
Defy Gravity

no need to flip them, its just a way to avoid leaking on the stockers and to inch the cog lower. i used the ball out of a traxxas #1942 rod end to do it, but recently went wide enough with my outboarding to run the stock bits. the drag link, either make your own or a stock lcc one will bolt on.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
no need to flip them, its just a way to avoid leaking on the stockers and to inch the cog lower. i used the ball out of a traxxas #1942 rod end to do it, but recently went wide enough with my outboarding to run the stock bits. the drag link, either make your own or a stock lcc one will bolt on.
The lower the better COG, right! I don't really want to outboard my shocks on the front till I find some internal springs I can run that are equivalent to the white springs. Know of any? Thanks for the heads up on the stock LCC drag link.

If I get a Futaba 4PL for this truck, can I buy another receiver to use on my SC10? If so, will it bind to both vehicles automatically, of course at separate times?

Chris
Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys,

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm seriously considering getting the transmitter, so I can add dig to my lnc. I also found a complete LCC transmission locally I can snag, but I'm wondering what else I'll need to complete the conversion? Different driveshafts? Dig servo...which one is best? Dig servo mount...which is best? Anything else I'll need? Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Yes you can run the stock drive line , I have it in my LCC.

relic68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Did you mean to say I can run the stock lnc drivetrain with the lcc transmission?

Chris
Old 01-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #33
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencr View Post
Here's a short video after the few mods I did last night:

Chris (Ravencr)'s Losi Night Crawler Battery Tray & Anti-Squat Mods - YouTube

Thanks for the heads up Redrokin00XJ. I've contacted them to see if they still have some.

ghtpdm5, I was just looking at this servo horn: https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/losa990...7da2ae5154cf3c for my 7955 Hitec. I already broke 2 or 3 of the plastic ones. The lowers are being replaced with the bent titanium lowers from DLuxFab. I'll do that on the lower skid plate...thanks for letting me know. Is there a good recommended drag link folks are using that won't flex like stock one? Thanks for the help,

Chris

Hey I have a blue aluminum servo horn that came with my Hitec.... Give me your address and I will mail it to ya.

No need for money. Payin it forward. Let me know if ya want it.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #34
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
The lower the better COG, right! I don't really want to outboard my shocks on the front till I find some internal springs I can run that are equivalent to the white springs. Know of any? Thanks for the heads up on the stock LCC drag link.

If I get a Futaba 4PL for this truck, can I buy another receiver to use on my SC10? If so, will it bind to both vehicles automatically, of course at separate times?

Chris

Hahahaha.... I actually have a set of 4 good internal springs that I found at a hardware store here.... I have been runnin these in my LCC for a fewmonths and they work really well..... If ya want I can send those with the servo horn. LMK
Old 01-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

I noticed I have one too, but it looks like I'd need to drill and tap it for the bolt. Is this normal? If so, you don't happen to know what type of bolt is used for the drag link/servo connection do you? 4-40, by chance?

Chris
Old 01-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrokin00XJ View Post
Hahahaha.... I actually have a set of 4 good internal springs that I found at a hardware store here.... I have been runnin these in my LCC for a fewmonths and they work really well..... If ya want I can send those with the servo horn. LMK
Man, you rock! How do you do it exactly? Just pop the top and put them in on top of the piston and close it up? Do you use them front and rear? Where's a link to your LCC. I'd like to check it out.

Chris
Old 01-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Did you mean to say I can run the stock lnc drivetrain with the lcc transmission?

Chris

Yes sir, I use the LNC drive shafts with my LCC.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

I wonder if that's because the frame for the LCC is different than the LNC? I was told that I needed to run the LCC driveshafts if I'm using the LNC frame...

Chris
Old 01-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #39
Gold Star Baby!

My build is prob on the second page.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

as far as I know, the frames are exactly the same. the difference is the transmissions used in each. the lnc shafts will fit fine with the lcc trans. you may need to grind the very end of the ball off a little so they dont bind. I had to with mine.

My First Rock Crawler Buildup w/ Losi Night Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler - Post your questions here! Mad Dawg Team Losi Comp Crawler 355 05-14-2023 06:43 PM
Noob with first crawler ISSUES-> Losi Night Crawler Javage Newbie General 10 12-02-2009 10:35 PM