Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: quick random questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default quick random questions

ok iv done lots of searching, i practiacly spen everyday parusing this site. but just cant find answers to some of my questions, as noob as some may be.

- what does a bec actually acomplish, and how do you know if you need one or not? i run a 30turn motor, 4ws with 100somehting oz servos, 2s 1200 mah 25c lipo, stock lnc esc. i just dont know if i need to buy one or not.

-outboarding shocks... i understand how to do it, but the tires already hit the shocks at a full turn as it is why would you want to move them closer? do you have to get wideners to make it work? and if so wouldnt that make the axle shafts too short or am i missing something?

-shock tuning... from what i read and understand it seems my shocks are set up like this... front is set neutral and my rear are set for squat... what does that change or how is it adjusted? if uv seen my other threads, iv got homemade links on the rear upper and lower. does that affect it? i currently dont have the comp shock towers but ill be adding them in a few days.

ok thats pretty much all i can think of at the moment. im sure theres more but after 10hrs of work and comming home to a crying baby, my brain is fryed so ill just start with them. as always guys any help is extremly appreciated. thanks.
TNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: quick random questions

lets go one by one. the bec. these can be wired different ways, but we will take it as being wired per the instructions from castle. the bec supplies power to the reciever. the reciever will supply power to your servo (or servos if you have more than one hooked to the reciever). now WITHOUT an external bec your esc will supply the power to the reciever. the problem is MOST esc's only supply 6 volts and 3 amps max. some are less than that, only one i can think of that's better is the holmes hobbies brxl. when you start getting the steering in binds the servo tries to draw power to turn the tires. this draw can be more than the esc can provide. this is when an external bec is needed as say the castle bec provides whatever volts you set it to (mine on the ax10 is 7.4v, the losi is 6v) and up to 10 amps of power. keep in mind that your esc HAS a bec inside it, we are talking about EXTERNAL bec's. if your running low power servo's (under 200 ounces) you usually can get by without an external bec. the esc should be able to supply enough power. if your running multiple servos you can run into problems while using both servo's you can notice the esc shutting down or a "brown out". this is when the servo/servo's are drawing enough power that the esc/reciever will shut down due to lack of power for a second.

outboarding shocks is still a debate. some say it helps sidehill stability, some say it really doesn't help. on the losi it's best to use either wheel wideners or a wheel that has changeable offsets (like vanquish wheels with different hubs) to widen out the front end to gain more clearance for the tires to steer with the outboarded shocks.

squat and anti-squat is a huge subject. there are multiple threads here on the forum (general crawler section, search anti-squat) that go in depth on the subject. you can read till your head explodes and probably still won't understand half of whats actually going on. the shocks don't really play a role in anti-squat. when you get into it, anti-squat is achieved by link geometry.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

quick random questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4 quick questions? Mighty1 RC4WD Bully 19 06-23-2010 05:56 PM
Quick questions Silversamps85 Large Scale Rigs 1 02-04-2010 03:37 PM
Two quick questions. Breatholdiveri Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 9 10-18-2009 09:32 PM
quick questions STAT Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 10-08-2008 04:21 AM
quick questions Venturestein Newbie General 2 09-11-2008 08:30 PM