Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Nordic Crawler Design Losi 2.2s/Sportsman chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #21
WAM
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Nordic Crawler Design Losi 2.2s/Sportsman chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
When you guys mount the Losi tranny on a flat skid plate, do you use short spacers between the skid plate and the tranny or do you trim the motor plate mounting tabs?
Both for me. About 1.5mm spacer and a little nip out of that boss sticking down at the end of the motor plate to clearance my rod-end.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

So, got some drawings from Tomi.. Need to make the brace on the side different.. Because of the off-set motor there will be to much flex in the chassis if we place the brace that far.. I need to find a nice way to get the brace over the motor now.
Did some drawings already. but i don't like how it looks now....
I go and think out off the box now... ;)
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Thanks!

I have the tranny clear the skid plate with a 1mm spacer.

Here's a side profile of the chassis in relation to the rest of the car. Based on Losi pics I've eyeballed the axle shock mounts.

The idea with this chassis is to create forward weight bias by placing most of the motor and tranny weight in front of the axle centerline. By doing this we aim at being able to run an overall lighter rig as less wheel weight will be needed to achive the same weight bias. We also make the chassis as lightweight as possible and have adopted the shock geometry for the shorter shocks popular today. These are the features that sets this chassis apart from most chassis's traditionally associated with shaftys.

In these updated pics the skid plate is 63mm long and 50mm wide. I can move the lower link skidplate mounting position slightly more center if you wish. I have to leave 5-6mm of skidplate material between the lower link rod ends.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #24
WAM
Rock Crawler

Like I said before, you're doing essentially the same thing I did in converting an AX10 design to Losi hardware. When I did that with the Gatekeeper, I wanted it to stay as close as possible to the original geometry. What I found is the lower links install to the Losi axles about the same. The shocks are more AX10'ish if you relocate them onto the lower axle hole, outboarding them on the link bracket. The front uppers are pretty good as is but the rear uppers want a higher axle attach point. Losi sells one, losa1036, but it could even be a little higher, so a home-made D-mount would fill the bill. So would a shark fin but it would increase the triangulation and I'm pretty set on maintaining geometry until I change it for a reason -- and then only with A/B testing.

One difference, my Gatekeeper skid is horizontal and yours is raked. Which raises the chassis end of the rear lowers. So yours might work better with the rear lowers in the upper axle holes. Testing time.

ps -- anyone know of a production rear D-mount for a Losi? No need to reinvent the wheel if it's already out there.

Last edited by WAM; 01-25-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
BDR
Quarry Creeper

Tomi, i like your thinking mate

Making a rig as light as possible is ALWAYS better, for every thing, from the bolts to the motor

Never have understood why people feel the need to weigh down their rigs

Hurry up and take my money
BDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Looking good cant wait
zeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Hey Zeke if this happens soon are you coming down again for the canz Nats this year. Will be at least my NCD SuDu axial based sporty competing, be good to comp against a losi version

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Bruiser View Post
Hey Zeke if this happens soon are you coming down again for the canz Nats this year. Will be at least my NCD SuDu axial based sporty competing, be good to comp against a losi version

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Of course I will be coming, I wouldn't miss it for the world... I just have to finalise what dates I want to come down and come back and i will be booking my flights. Just hope my holidays get approved from work... If not I'll quit, I'm not missing it
Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post

ps -- anyone know of a production rear D-mount for a Losi? No need to reinvent the wheel if it's already out there.

Just make new holes in the axial d-mount

JENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Any news tomi
Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Sorry for my late reply. Here are the latest news.

So based on your feedback I shortened the skid plate (now measuring 50x63mm) and moved the tranny inwards. Now half of the motor is hanging outside the chassis plate.

I also did a skid plate version for the centered tranny output option. No pics of it but you know what it looks like. Its all the same as in the earlier pics except that the skid plate is shorter (50x63mm).

I also asked Douwe to redesign the chassis plates and make them a one piece design each. This creates much stiffer chassis plates. The sideplates are asymmetrical for max low cog. Would you prefer them symmetrical? The downside is that they don't work well with a bodiless design. To design a bodiless chassis, however, will be easy when the lower chassis basic dimensions are right. So if you were looking for a bodiless Losi chassis, I can make you a custom design.

So far it looks as if the tranny and motor clears everything. I am now sending the chassis and two different skid plate options to AlexG who has promised to mount a set of axles on it. When he's done and possible adjustments are done we will be ready to offer it to you.

Here are the most recent pics (I did not have 4-40 flat head screws to mount the tranny with. That's why it doesnt stand flat on the table):

Old 01-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #32
RCC Addict

I like it, it seems nice and tight, with just a slight driveline offset!

Good job
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

i believe that's the way it needs to be, i like it.
kbogger81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

The asymmetry looks a little weird but that wouldn't bother me since it's intended to run inside a body. But the dogleg theoretically is a little longer than a straight shot (shortest distance between a & b is a straight line etc). How about a lower but horizontal beam on the right side? IE, looks like the left side except a little squashed. No biggie regardless, just nits. I like it.

I'll be interested in your centered driveshaft version assuming it has room for a brushless can. My current LCC has a full tranny flip and I'd want to retain that.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

When can I pay

Tomi thAt is awesome, I can't wait to see it in cf....

Will you be making links to go with the chassis??
Old 02-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #36
RCC Addict

At this point I am not planning to offer links. This may change once AlexG has test fitted the chassis.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Maybe i can adjust some things on the chassis after the test.. I mean some looks..
Maybe its possible to do the "over the engine" side in a side with a loose brace.. But for now, was this the choice to do because of some flex...
But first some testing!!
Good luck AlexG
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:34 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

I hope it changes... I have no idea how to make/bend ti links..Hahaha
Old 02-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #39
E.Y. Designs

Maybe to make more asymmetrical you could just use 2 of the sideplates like what go over the motor... Just an idea.... Looking great as always Tomi

And BTW I'm still learning from you
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #40
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeko View Post
I hope it changes... I have no idea how to make/bend ti links..Hahaha
EZ -- use cheap allthread to decide what lengths you need. Then order Ti links from Lunsford if they offer those lengths, or get custom lengths from D_lux or Chaotic Crawlers. Done

Nordic Crawler Design Losi 2.2s/Sportsman chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nordic Crawler Design MOA Chassis Lineup for 2013 Tomy Chassis and Suspension 47 06-09-2014 09:35 AM
Nordic Crawler Design XR10 a.k.a Cannibal Zarizi Tech Axial XR10 94 01-01-2014 10:54 AM
Nordic Crawler Design Axial XR10 Steering Kit Tomy Axles, Trannys, T-case 64 09-17-2013 04:14 AM
nordic crawler design xr 10 roxx Axial XR10 76 03-10-2013 10:21 AM
Nordic Crawler Design Brake Rotor for VP Wheels Tomy Vendors Tires and wheels 24 11-29-2012 07:37 AM