Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: LCC build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

Default LCC build

just got my lcc set up and have a few questions. I'm definitely a noob to the lcc.

My setup has a novak 13.5 brushless motor and esc, 1300mah 7.4 lipo, and fs-gt3b.

Name:  picture000.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  picture001.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  67.5 KB

1. There is a lag between forward and reverse. it doesn't happen if I wait a second between the control but sucks for roll recovery. It is less noticeable when I adjust the throttle trim but this doesn't seem like the right solution. What Is the fix?

2. I got the dig set up and it works great for either front or rear but is there a way to control it, like with a 3 way switch, with the gt3b without the hack? I'm planning to do the hack but if I can do front and rear dig now without it that would be awesome.

3. I don't have the upper transmission cover, is this a big deal? I'm not running through water but a little sand.

4. The axles felt pretty warm after running for about 15 minutes. Is this normal? (havn't had a chance to inspect the axle internals yet due to stripped hardware)

Thanks in advance for the help

Mike
maquet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: LCC build

As far as the dig .I use the same radio and just use the one touch 3rd channel for front dig only. Hack it if u plan on comping as far as diffs go they will get worm b sure to grease regularly. Losi has discontinued the comp so if u are planning on keeping your rig together buy some ring and barrels.
smeesho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquet24 View Post
1. There is a lag between forward and reverse... What Is the fix?
That's a setting in the ESC. Immediate reverse is usually referred to as "crawler mode".

Quote:
2. ... the dig ... is there a way to control it, like with a 3 way switch, with the gt3b without the hack?
No. (Unless you sacrifice steering or speed control...)

Quote:
3. I don't have the upper transmission cover, is this a big deal?
There is an obvious risk that sand gets collected in there. I'd buy a new cover.

Quote:
4. The axles felt pretty warm after running for about 15 minutes. Is this normal?
Yes. The worm drives, if properly lubricated, will consume roughly half of the motor power. If they're not well lubed they'll overheat in little time!

Do check out this thread!
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #4

awesome info just what I was looking for, thanks!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #5

Did some esc adjusting and it's better but there is still a delay between forward to reverse. I didn't see the option for immediate reverse, just forward and brake and forward delay reverse.

I reversed the motor rotation (which I guess is less efficient) and then reversed my controller and now the delay is in forward which is nice for roll recovery but still not perfect.

Has anyone set this esc up with no delay forward or rear?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
RCC Addict

What make and model is your ESC?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #7

Novak GTB2 with sensored 13.5T motor
Old 03-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #8
RCC Addict

That's a racing ESC. The info publicly provided by Novak doesn't tell if there's a "crawler" mode, but since it isn't mentioned I'd guess it's not. (There should be plenty of warnings not to use crawler mode for race cars if it was present.)
Old 03-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #9

Free piece of aircraft aluminum from work, 55cents worth of hardware, and about 2.5 hours and the LCC is 100% better at crawling.
Name:  picture004.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  picture006.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  41.1 KB

I also regreased the axles and found a bearing on its last leg. Next upgrades will be bearings and hd worms (maybe just front). After that maybe the GT3B Hack kit.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #10

Alright I got a new dmg frame and ordered a mmp esc. The problem I'm having now is battery overheating. I talked with castle and they recommended a lower kv higher turn motor like the tekin rock 412 to replace my Novak ballistic 13.5.

What sensored motor combo do you suggest and will my 2c 1300mah 25c batteries handle it? Should I order new batteries too?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
RCC Addict

You do need better batteries! The reason they get hot is that you pull too much current from them.
A higher wind motor will draw less current, but also deliver less power and thus reduce the top speed as well.
- The cheap solution for you is to just get batteries with higher C-rating (read: discharce capacity).
- You get better performance by using a lower Kv motor (such as a cheapish 2-pole 17.5T, ROC412 2100Kv or Holmes Revolver S) in combination with 3S batteries. Then the current and, more importantly, power drawn from the battery is reduced while providing the same or better top speed. A same physical size 3S battery holds ~870mAh, will give you a bit more running time but also be rated for at least 60C peak.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #12

One step forward two steps back. Got my third MMP installed, bought a rock 412 motor, and upgraded my batteries to Turnigy 1.3 Graphene 50c 3s 11.1v.

It was working great for the first battery and a half but the worm stall was outrageous. I was using the front and rear drive to bump out of it but somehow I still managed to melt my main idler gear in the transmission....

So I found the replacement metal gears for the transmission and was planning to replace them but I still think the worm stall is going to be a pain the ass!

I'm thinking about replacing the axles with a more traditional setup any ideas on easy swaps? Has anyone seen these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXTYP7V/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3LXU 1E3EPDHZS&coliid=I3FW5C1MUZMYPU

I'll continue to search your builds and see what ya'll are doing but any help is appreciated. As always thanks guys!

Last edited by maquet24; 11-14-2016 at 06:27 AM.

LCC build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LCC build EricTheRitt Team Losi Comp Crawler 16 08-04-2012 04:12 PM
Another LCC Build bryco13 Team Losi Comp Crawler 47 06-20-2011 06:37 AM
My LCC build. nitroxr Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 05-12-2010 10:42 AM
New LCC build Supersubes Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 09-29-2009 10:52 PM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM