Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Question about worms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Question about worms

So I had a few minutes today to take apart my axle to throw some more grease in it. While I had it apart I noticed that the spool was metal and I'm 99% sure the screw gear was metal too. I'm at work so I didn't have time to clean it all up to be 100% sure so I just gave it the ole magnet test....

This night crawler was new out of the box. I thought the regular worm sets were 100% plastic... does this mean it may have hd worms from the factory? Any input is appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Riddler6.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Question about worms

The Night Crawler has HD gears from Losi, and they're metal. All the worms are metal.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
The Night Crawler has HD gears from Losi, and they're metal. All the worms are metal.
Didn't know that! Do they also come with the V3 HD CVDs?
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post
Do they also come with the V3 HD CVDs?
Yes.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks, good info to know as I have been trying very hard to find some hd worms. Guess I can call off that search.

That's the first I've heard that the night crawler gets hd worms from the factory though.

On a side note, on horizon it no longer shows the hd worms as discontinued but now shows them as backordered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

Well, I thought the LNC came with the HD gears. It's been a while.

The parts explosion pdf from Losi shows it's 3175, which is the standard spool and worm.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

You may be thinking of the spool upgrade that occurred early on. Something about the angle of the teeth. I don't know if even the newest LNCs come with HD's (I doubt it) but there's no substitute for simply counting the teeth. Original - 25 teeth, HD - 21 teeth. HD's are really hard to find these days. Too bad.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Not to forget: Even the standard worms are all metal, just a different metal.
Plastic is used for the micro crawler.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk now Free
Old 10-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
HD's are really hard to find these days. Too bad.
True. Looks like we need to start the ball rolling with a RCC vendor in the near future.

Hummmmm. Does any one know of a good one that continues to turn out quality, game-changing products, already has great products for the Losi platform, knows the platform well, and has produced something very similar in the past that was fantastic? Hummmmm, sure wish we had someone that we could contact like that on RCC.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post
True. Looks like we need to start the ball rolling with a RCC vendor in the near future.

Hummmmm. Does any one know of a good one that continues to turn out quality, game-changing products, already has great products for the Losi platform, knows the platform well, and has produced something very similar in the past that was fantastic? Hummmmm, sure wish we had someone that we could contact like that on RCC.
Unfortunately he has moved on to a berg and even an ar60 platform in sporty, so that vender is a dead end.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Mine didn't come with the HD worms. I bought it about 2 years ago though.
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Defy Gravity

lnc box stock is the 25:1 gearset. the hd never shipped in any factory axle to my knowledge. the hd confusion may be from the fact that the lnc has always shipped with the v3 "hd" axle.

if it didn't cost a ton of money to machine the cutters for it, i'd start making gears as a direct replacement. the cutter for the spool is the elephant in the room there. it would be upwards of 150 a set to have them machined and hardened on my end counting the cutter cost and machining time. simple fact is, the only way to make it work out is mass production to get a discount on machining, or invest in machinery and take my time as a loss.

a huge problem with the losi gears imo is that they are case hardened at a low depth. doing a proper heat treatment on them would be a solid way to greatly increase gear life, but that also costs a lot per set if you do it in low numbers. a large batch for heat treatment would save money in the end. as a test, give a drill bit test on a non-essential spot on one of the gears, you'll find that the case hardening is only about .020 deep before you hit the softer un-hardened steel. this is why worms tend to last for a while then just go, you hit the softer metal and then its game over.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
Unfortunately he has moved on to a berg and even an ar60 platform in sporty, so that vender is a dead end.
This forum really needs a 'don't like' button.

But you are right!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

I'm still hoping the hd worms will be available again. Horizon let me place them on backorder and another site would apso with and est shipping date of sometime in november. I have been looking hard for a nice xr10 though so I'm trying to decide how much more money I want to put into the LNC. Anyone know how much capable anl xr10? I like that u can still get quite a bit of parts for them

Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler6.7 View Post
I'm still hoping the hd worms will be available again. Horizon let me place them on backorder and another site would apso with and est shipping date of sometime in november. I have been looking hard for a nice xr10 though so I'm trying to decide how much more money I want to put into the LNC. Anyone know how much capable anl xr10? I like that u can still get quite a bit of parts for them

If I understand what you are asking, it depends on what you are wanting to do. I am putting money into (and will continue) my Losi platform as my Sportsman rig. I love it in the sportsman class, but I would think twice about dumping tons of money into it for being my sole rig to compete the Pro class.

Though I have thought about putting the LCC tranny back in my sportsman rig and running it in pro and sporty for a comp or two. Just to get that much more comp experience with the Losi. I have done well in the sportsman class, but just stay mediocre in the pro class. Doubt that it will do much in the pro class, but it would be a great warmup for when the sportsman are run. Hope that makes sense. I love the sporty class.

The Losi and the XR are like comparing apples to oranges. But if you had a good driver on the Losi and descent driver on the XR, I'd put money on the Losi every time.

FYI, the XR platform has been discontinued, the LNC has not. But there is sooooo much more aftermarket support for the XR, but it seems to be dwindling.

Last edited by dentonmac; 10-14-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

I'm really not planning on doing any competitions... just play around with friends so being in one class or the other has no effect on me.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler6.7 View Post
I'm really not planning on doing any competitions... just play around with friends so being in one class or the other has no effect on me.

Gotcha.

My opinion. LNC does not require big dollars to run super well (XR does). Get a good solid setup, practice, and hand your buds their butt with a shafty!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

It does pretty dang good already. My buddy has a pretty wicked wraith that will definitely impress.

His is quite a bit longer and wider then my lnc. Also I get hung up on the rear links often. Those are the two areas that I need to address and I thinkn it will make a large difference.

One thing that still is annoying is how quick it goes through batts. It makes the small batt holder on the front lower links almost pointless and I always end up running a full size pack up high within a few minutes.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

"One thing that still is annoying is how quick it goes through batts. It makes the small batt holder on the front lower links almost pointless and I always end up running a full size pack up high within a few minutes"

My LCC gets 20 minutes or so crawling all over a 40'Wx60'Lx15'H rubble pile using 1300 to 1600 mAh 2s packs on the front links. I always carry spares.
anuthabubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Question about worms - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grease/Lube question for Losi worms greener2732 Team Losi Comp Crawler 18 11-01-2011 07:10 PM
Worms outkast7222 Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 07-25-2011 04:13 PM
Worms? Tklan Crawler Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 05-24-2010 06:00 AM
the worms asw27x Team Losi Comp Crawler 3 04-28-2010 03:33 PM
worms jeepcj776 Team Losi Comp Crawler 9 09-28-2009 06:12 PM