Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Panther Cougars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #141
Rock Crawler

I was going to get claws but kep holding off, man, i'm glad I did.
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #142
Quarry Creeper

doing a test today with the nwtt rockhammer hybrid squats. thats the short wide for the noobs. pinks in the rear and reds up front. sofar the foams seem to be a bit short for the tire but only time will tell how they perform. i am only doing this test because i dont like the stock foams in the back. i was using the losis in the front and the stock mem faom in the rears. so thats why i am doing tis test. more on the test soon.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #143
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonracing View Post
i was using the losis in the front and the stock mem faom in the rears. so thats why i am doing tis test. more on the test soon.
try reversing the foams....memory stockers in the front (better foarming to rocks) and the losi stockers in the rear for better support
dirtydirtysouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #144
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydirtysouf View Post
try reversing the foams....memory stockers in the front (better foarming to rocks) and the losi stockers in the rear for better support
yea what he said^
cspyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #145
RCC Addict

That looks like an awesome course I've been thinking about picking some up for my rig, I think your video has convinced me.

Thanks
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

Ill be testing tomorrow with axial's 1/2" narrowed in the rear and proline greys in the front, the stockers are way to soft here in AZ
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #147
Quarry Creeper

well did my testing today with the nwtt hybrid squats. i have to say they were pretty good. a big improvement over the stock mem and losi foams.
the pink in back and red fronts. my wheels are weighted at 8 oz front and 5.5 rear on stock axial wheels. foreward bite is much improved and off camber (sidehilling) turns were much improved. i would say that they acted like a half flat tire or very low psi tire. the side walls still fold under but i dont think anythings going to stop that from happening anyway. i will try some nwtt rockhammer hybrid reach foams as soon as i can get my hands on some from joseph. (i get em direct). will report on that soon. so the conclusion is that they are a big improvement over the stock panther foam and the losi foams. panther rear and losi front. i am going to keep this setup for the next comp.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 AM   #148
Quarry Creeper

Default Nice, Very Nice

Just got a set from Kevin at TCScrawlers.com today. They're soft compound with memory foams.

They mounted up nice and easy, the foams fit perfect. The small bits of flashing around one bead on each tire posed no problems, they come right off with a light pull. My front rims are back narrowed 6mm with 3oz of stick on weights in each, the rears are stock Axials. They are about 3/16" taller than Badlands and absolutely dwarf Losi Claws.

I'll check them out on the rocks in the morning.
azvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:32 AM   #149
Quarry Creeper

ive had these tires for about a week. right nowi have them mounted on stock axials. with 3oz on weight in each front tire. no weight in the rears. compared to my badlands and rockclaws these tires are just a step better! and i cant imagine what there gonna be like mounted on some narrow 8 shooters should be impressive.
12flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #150
I wanna be Dave

initial test in my rock garden with stiff foams they perform better than the losi's on many areas and ability to make several climbs Ive never been able to do prior with anything but a super.............Im gonna leave the stiff foams in the rear and put Kreepy reds in the front and test again
Old 05-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #151
Winner of the '07 RCC dumbass award!

Look ma no sidewall traction!

Anyone miss the sidebite?

Last edited by WheelChair; 05-30-2008 at 02:45 PM.
WheelChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #152
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelChair View Post
Look ma no sidewall traction!

Anyone miss the sidebite?

No, there is plenty of side bite. If there was any side wall tread you would stay hung up all the time, the rubber itself gives you all the side bite you need. Try a set, you will see.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #153
Quarry Creeper

i got lotsa side bite. i even ground the side lugs off my claws, they kept hangin me up.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #154
Winner of the '07 RCC dumbass award!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
No, there is plenty of side bite. If there was any side wall tread you would stay hung up all the time, the rubber itself gives you all the side bite you need. Try a set, you will see.

Heh, I'm still stuck on Moab's here. My truck does some amazing things with them. Been meaning to try another tire and I was thinkin about the claws, but now I think I would have to get these.

I guess it all depends on the terrain, because there have been a few times I needed the sidewall traction of the moabs to get through a section.

With out the sidewall tread, I can see not getting hung up, but I can also see being stuck if sidewall is all thats griping.

Also, I'm pretty sure the sidewall traction helps me get the rig back onto its wheels when I roll. When I ran tires with out sidewall traction, the rig would just stay on its lid no matter what.

Just an observation...

These sound really good for straight up vertical traction though. Can't wait to enjoy better sidehill performance!

WC
WheelChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #155
MODERATOR™

The Northwest Traction Hybrid Reaches fill the tire a little better than the Squat, so that helps keep them from wrinkling under on sidehills. Mine work good. The outer edge foam part could be a little stiffer though, I guess.

WC, the wrinkling action is the real key to the sidebite. It stays a slick like tire in those jammed up moments so you don't drive backwards, but when you need it to bite, steer into the wall, the sidewall wrinkles, and acts like a lug, and there ya go.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #156
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
The Northwest Traction Hybrid Reaches fill the tire a little better than the Squat, so that helps keep them from wrinkling under on sidehills. Mine work good. The outer edge foam part could be a little stiffer though, I guess.

WC, the wrinkling action is the real key to the sidebite. It stays a slick like tire in those jammed up moments so you don't drive backwards, but when you need it to bite, steer into the wall, the sidewall wrinkles, and acts like a lug, and there ya go.
Yep, I really like the tire for the lack of aggressive side lugs, here they tend to pull you up and over more than help, Im taking lines now that I could not before because the ability to "engage" side wall bite as I need it and then turn away a tad to releave the stress..... I think once you "learn" this tire its prove itself in many situations
Old 05-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #157
Pebble Pounder

you know i really think that this is a good thing for the community because now that we got Panther, Proline, Losi, RC4WD, and Imex in the whole crawling tire deal, maybe we we'll get some pretty nice tires that i think will fill our need for scale and ultimate somp tires. i think that this tire is the tire to beat hands down and is on my shopping list to get for my mayhems!
clod & bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #158
Rock Crawler

Great tire. No complaints. Have not found a rock that they don't excel on. I will be keepin them on my rig for a while.

raul duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:08 PM   #159
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12flex View Post
and i cant imagine what there gonna be like mounted on some narrow 8 shooters should be impressive.

good luck on that, i tried mounting one on an 8 shooter, wouldn't hold the bead.
HITMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #160
MODERHATER™

Does anyone have these in stock??
666 is offline   Reply With Quote