Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Panther Cougars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Ran the Cougar tires with NWT Hybrids #8 in the front #5 in the rear at the MNRCRC comp yesterday. They improved our comp performance and the rig made some lines in practice afterward that it hadn't been able to make before with no other changes made to the rig from the previous comp. The tires would roll over heavily when side hilling but still held. The wheels were heavily weighted 11 oz per wheel front and 9 oz per in the rear. The truck would side slide a bit, I might lighten wheel weight up a bit for the next comp. But the Cougars aren't coming off.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 06-03-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #202
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddill View Post
The only thing that that video shows is you need more belly clearance ..Not a very good vid for comparing tires....
ive got plenty of clearance (2.75")
dirtydirtysouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #203
Quarry Creeper

you are the only person that thinks there is no sidewall bite to this tire, maybe you are the one smoking something?
bulzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #204
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulzeye View Post
you are the only person that thinks there is no sidewall bite to this tire, maybe you are the one smoking something?
Thats what i was thinking.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #205
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulzeye View Post
X3

IB..
I B RACIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #206
I wanna be Dave

Recieved my set of cougars w/memory foams today, man these things are soft. They feel more like a silicone than rubber. I believe this compound will be around for a while. Thinking about ordering 2 dozen pair are so to make me a pillow.
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #207
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob_superman View Post
oh there is some sidewall bite, its just not enough for me. i would love to see panther come out with another tire with side bite that way there will be options for both sides of the fence.
so you like so much bite that when you get in a crack your rig goes backwards?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #208
I wanna be Dave

got mine today!! and firat impression is very good! hey are soft and very tacky. feel like twice as much traction as i run my fingers over them compared to my flat iron m3's

easiest tire i ever mounted on a beadlock rim by far!!

cant wait to get out to test them!!

only problem is one came to me with a tear in the side wall :-(:-( waiting to here about what to do with it, hopefully i can get a new one sent out to me.
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #209
Pebble Pounder

anyone run them or mount them on 8-shooters? those are the rims im lookin at. i like the reports so far of the tire. i plan on becoming an owners soon!
clod & bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #210
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod & bruiser View Post
anyone run them or mount them on 8-shooters? those are the rims im lookin at. i like the reports so far of the tire. i plan on becoming an owners soon!

MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #211
Quarry Creeper

ok ive read enough to get a set to ad to the arsanal, but ive yet to read any comments about the smooth sidewalls, doesnt that hurt, or shall i say make it a weak point, the last set of badlands had a few cuts on the sodewalls, the panther sides look a little vonurable, has anyone had a prob with this, i drive pretty hard here at home, like 5x rougher stuff than iv seen courses set up on some of your comps, im talking jaged edge hard to crawl stuff, i wore out my badlands in like 4 months, how durable are these? or should these by held as a comp only tire
lizard017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #212
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Every tire we have been using in the past 3 years for crawling has had side bite and it works well with no one complaining. Maybe once in a very rare occasion side bite will hurt in a certain climb but 9 times out of 10 it helps.

again you are saying these tires don't have side bite just because they don't have lugs.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #213
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard017 View Post
ok ive read enough to get a set to ad to the arsanal, but ive yet to read any comments about the smooth sidewalls, doesnt that hurt, or shall i say make it a weak point, the last set of badlands had a few cuts on the sodewalls, the panther sides look a little vonurable, has anyone had a prob with this, i drive pretty hard here at home, like 5x rougher stuff than iv seen courses set up on some of your comps, im talking jaged edge hard to crawl stuff, i wore out my badlands in like 4 months, how durable are these? or should these by held as a comp only tire
I'm in the same boat as you, the rocks I crawl on rough/jagged lava rocks, I want something that wont shread to bits but give good traction?
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:23 AM   #214
I wanna be Dave

Ok guys the smooth sidewall gives plenty of side bite. The fact that it is thin and extremely soft does make it a little more likely that you may cut a sidewall. But on a good note they glue back together easily.

IMHO it is kind of like this with the thin sidewall it allows you to tune the tire way more than any other on the market. The soft sticky compound makes for more tread wear but provides better traction than any other tire out there.

Just like with anything else you have to take the good with the bad. If this tire sucks why is there so many comps being won with them? The truth is they are most likely the future.
Look at any other motor sport and they have to keep fresh tires on hand and replace the old when needed. Go to a Outlaw 10.5 drag race, to stay competitive those guys change tires every time they go down the track or at least every 2 passes because the sidewall of the tire starts to break down and the 60ft time does dot stay consistent. So they take a tire off that has two burnouts and two 660ft passes on them and put on a new set. That coast those guys about 600-700 bucks a pass just in tires to stay competitive. If we have to replace tires lets say once a month or maybe twice is that really that bad to stay competitive?

It does not bother me a bit and i made sure to order several sets when i placed my first order and i have a few more on the way.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #215
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
who cares what I think.

I agree.

Last edited by dezfan; 06-04-2008 at 10:10 AM.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #216
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
who cares what I think, get over it and move on.
you could do the same you know... everyone is just voicing an opinion, just like you, and answering your questions. , hell i'd rather you not buy the tires, more for me and one less person running them i have to worry about being competitive.
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #217
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post

those look great man! they hold the bead good? and hows the hex on them with the tires?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #218
I wanna be Dave

I have torn a side wall with my ocm, just because it hung the steering arm, but the tire went around at least 1.5 turns befor it finaly tore, even then its always a clean tear and a drop of glue fixes it right back. A rock isn't going to hurt these tires at all. The will wear depending on how much you spin them, which from my experiance doesn't happen very often. And once again on the sidewall bite.......just run them and see.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #219
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod & bruiser View Post
those look great man! they hold the bead good? and hows the hex on them with the tires?

From what I've seen so far they hold the Panther bead alot better than they did with the Claws that I just took off of them. Hexes seem to be good and tight as well, and held up better than the stock Axial wheels I have on another rig of mine. They took a good beating weekend before last on all sorts of different things at all different wheelspeeds, and even though I'm gonna be upgrading to some aluminum ones of some sort before long I'm still gonna be using these with some other tires mounted up so I've got some options for the places I'm running. Claws came out of the bead a little in a couple of small sections of 2 different wheels that weekend, but still stayed on. Panthers seem to be locked in a whole lot better with them though.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #220
Pebble Pounder

well this is really good to hear. i plan on getting some mayhems later on this summer buuut due to money issues and my need for some beadlocks i plan on gettin some prolines. my neighbor has both axials and prolines but he's had some trouble with both. mainly the hexes got stripped but i think its because the motor he's running =D i run a 55t novak and its got an ass load of torque but i dont think ill be able to strip anything. thanks again for the insight!