Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: 1.9 Growler Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 01:32 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

The mad beasts stock foams are way too soft. These seem to fit well with motoworx wheels.

Sent from my LG G2
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 1.9 Growler Review

Nvghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

These pics were taken during a speedy pass on a hardpan road with a semi-loose surface. Even with this rigs locked front diff steering and course corrections appeared to improve greatly with the more appropriate tread pattern and moderate foam denity. On a few passes I found myself under steering in demostrative passes. Not one traction roll was observed turning the speed passes. Very positive results, but a tire cannot be great at everything.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Old 06-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

This incline included very loose/sandy surface with intermittent golf ball sized lava rock gravel and short green tumbleweed. Wheel speed was necessary to make progress. Any sort of stoppage necessitated lateral movement to continue; occasional restart was also utilized. Performance was similar to that of other chevron or directional 1.9 tire patterns; higher maintained wheel speed was key in most cases of progressive movement. Slow wheel speed produced negative results.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Old 06-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Loose to hard transition on inclines presented a few issues where again, wheel speed was made necessary. A few half resets and hard throttle bumps pushed the rig right over the obstacle. Driving characteristics of these tires really lends to higher speed driving/race application, quick and slow rock climbs, and high wheel speed hill climbs when loose or sandy surfaces are present. No one tire can do it all, but driving methods can be adjusted accordingly.
To me, this tire is well suited for most styles of driving, bashing, or trailing. It especially shines on higher speed, multi surface, and "race" style applications.
Low traction inclines aren't the Growlers strong suit. Wheel speed is definitely their friend in such situations.
These factors hinge strongly on rig factors and driving methods as well. But as many of us have several sets of tires to adjust for driving situations it isn't much of a concern. Those that might be purchasing Growlers as a sole tire for a rig may serve well to consider the normal driving surfaces they encounter.
To me, rock, hard surfaces, ULTRA style track conditions, and a mix of surfaces with higher wheel speed capability really shine with these tires. This set is far from being "broke in", but they are definitely demonstrating a better level of performance compared to other directional tread pattern tires I've used.

Video footage coming soon!
Old 06-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Well, I'm jealous ! I've already thrashed my Compass tires from Axialfest, and It looks like these wont be available until mid-July . I'm hoping to use the single stage foams from Crawler Innovations. What's the weight of your test rig? My Blu Bastard is a dead 10lbs, and might need a stiffer set-up.
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Burrito has to be running a pound less than the Bastard: no winch, lights, and only running 3000mah 3s. With the cage/slider setup, wraith chassis, solid R2j links, aluminum trans case, Steel gears, MIPS, etc., it's gotta be pushing 9 pounds. Wheels/tires are unvented, stock foams are relatively firm, and 4 oz per front, 2.5 oz per rear. I'm planning on running them through the ringer before hitting up CI, but they told me the Swamper XL foams are a perfect match.

Side note: still had 52% left on the Turnigy 3000mah 35c 3s lipo yesterday after two hours of trail riding, camera setup, speed runs, hill climbs, and traction demo. MMP, BEC, 3100kv ROC 412, Savox 1283, 75-80 degree weather.
That was a very favorable result.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Man,,Im Surprised at Your Results,,All Weekend at The N.E.N.Q I Was Showing People How Much Better They Were At Slow Speeds And Let Multiple People Drive My Rig For There 1st Time And Let Them See it For Them Selves Behind The Wheel of The Rig I've Done All My Testing With,,,
dezmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:24 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

It has a lot to do with the rig also. Slow speed on hard surfaces with various inclines and switching lines are awesome. Super loose inclines with scrub and small rocks seem to be the only areas with less favorable result. Everything else has been a pleasure to drive. Not that wheel speed on loose hill climbs isn't fun. I'm thinking these tires/foams will be an awesome combo for 1.9 Ultra and Terra X drivers needing forward traction with moderate lateral slide ability under higher speed situations while retaining traction for climbing tough obstacles.
If YouTube would finish processing the current vid I could get to work on the trail footage that was also taken. Great performance in my test control area that consists of hard surface obstacles of various traction and incline.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Vid! I did slow it down in a few spots to better see some of the tire in action. This vid was a lot of fun to make as was the footage for more trail/rock action coming soon.

1.9 Growler/1.9 Wraith Review Part 2 - YouTube
Old 07-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Trail test area vid up next, but I do believe a wet run may be in order.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Still so much vid to edit, but these tires are getting better the more they are ran. It feels as if the surface has releasing agent still on them out of the bag. Pulled some slow lines this morning that took some speed a few runs before. Edges of tread are starting to round off but foams are feeling softer as well. May be hitting up CI sooner than I thought.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

When will they be in stock? Got wheels sitting here waiting on the tires to come in!

Sent from space
Crawlininga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #36

How does the rubber compound compare to the RC4WD compounds (X2SS and X3)?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:29 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Very good question, not sure when they will be in.

Compound feels similar to the Gladiator x2ss. They even stuck in the bag the same.

Here is more of them at work while testing the interim camera to hold me over for a GoPro or sony action cam.

Quick And Dirty: Nabi Square HD Test - YouTube
Old 07-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Tires are breaking in nicely.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:46 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Previous photo was from a few weeks ago.
Though smaller, here is one from last weekend. The grippy granite was AMAZING with the Growlers. So good in fact that I decided to adjust weight on the rig by moving the electronics from the rear to the passenger seat area.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Now in stock at RPP

PIT BULL GROWLER AT/EXTRA 1.9 SCALE TIRES & 2 STAGE FOAM (2)

1.9 Growler Review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Review - Pit Bull Growler - 1.55 dezmoon Tires and Wheels 396 07-25-2015 02:53 PM
Review,, 1.9 Pit Bull Growler, Prototype dezmoon Tires and Wheels 206 10-16-2014 11:31 PM
2.2 growler poll THEPITBULL Vendors Tires and wheels 36 07-11-2014 10:20 PM