Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Drill My Wheels? Where?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Drill My Wheels? Where?

Hi. I got some new steel beadlock wheels and when installed with my tires (and foam inserts) they're air tight and the tires sag/go flat. I did some searching on this forum and saw guys talking about different methods for fixing this like cutting the tires or drilling holes in the wheels to let air escape. I was thinking drilling the wheels may make the most sense(?) Here is one of my wheels, any suggestions on where to drill a hole? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. -KYLE

Last edited by GiantsCheated; 12-07-2014 at 02:27 PM.
GiantsCheated is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Drill My Wheels? Where?

If you're insistent on having vented tires, make a small hole in between the treads in the tires, never drill holes in the wheels. Look into better foams.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
If you're insistent on having vented tires, make a small hole in between the treads in the tires, never drill holes in the wheels. Look into better foams.
Not sure what you mean by "insistent"; the wheels are not properly functioning otherwise. Is there a third choice I'm missing here? Better foams the answer?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

This is what the wheels do. Completely airtight and flat.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Then pop a small hole in the tire in between the treads. I've had many beadlock wheels and haven't had one that wouldn't spring back and I don't have vented wheels or tires. Those stock foams should go though. I'm not sure why that tire is doing that...it's a new one to me.

Last edited by Johnnysplits; 12-07-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I vent my tires with a leather punch. 2 small 2mm holes is all I do with crawler innovations deuces wild foams.
nitro5514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I also have the rc4wd steel wheels. I drilled 4 holes in the wheel and 4 in the ring. 1/8" holes. It will take care of that problem.
Kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Drilling the wheels will create a hell of a problem if you plan on driving through water though.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

How tight are you squeezing the tire when you install it? If the rims are air tight the tire wouldn't let air out to deform! When tightening them together just be sure that you are not squeezing the tire, you should also look into some CI foams as they will help hol the form much better.

If you still want to vent them, just use a small drill and put a hole in between some treads and you will be good.

-Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcivic95 View Post
How tight are you squeezing the tire when you install it? If the rims are air tight the tire wouldn't let air out to deform! When tightening them together just be sure that you are not squeezing the tire, you should also look into some CI foams as they will help hol the form much better.

If you still want to vent them, just use a small drill and put a hole in between some treads and you will be good.

-Dan
Do you think that the problem was with my install? That I must have been squeezing the tire when tightening the rim? Honestly, I don't think that's the case as they were fine initially after install. This happened after sitting in one spot for a few days, they started to go flat on the bottom and when rotated or moved they wouldn't go back into shape, they stuck there.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Drilling the wheels will create a hell of a problem if you plan on driving through water though.
Couldn't the same be said for putting holes in your tires?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Flat spotting from sitting is completely diff from them just loosing air. They will do that from the weight of the truck sitting on the soft playable tires. If you get better foams like the CI they hold the form and fill the tore much better so you may see less. When it's stored leave the rig on a platform so the tires aren't holding the weight and then you can avoid it all together
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Not sure of this is from sitting, or from being out in the cold, but this is very common up here in the colder climates.

If it happened on a run, when the wheel/tire is sealed and your out running in the cold the air cools inside the tire and condenses. It sucks in the tire creating flat spots. We had a Wraith out last weekend and we had some snow on the ground for the first time...his sealed tires sucked in so bad by the end of the run he had 3 distinct flat spots per tire - they looked like triangles! Of course, in warmer temps, the tires get bouncy as the opposite occurs.

Even if they are not fully sealed and just a bit of air is leaking in or out somewhere, sitting on the bench will flat spot the tires as others have said. After taking the weight off it will take time for it to get back to full round. (Put them in a sunbeam on the window or some other place warm and they'll bounce back quicker.) For sure, support your truck on its axles or center skid when not in use. A nice stand is not too expensive....scrap 2x4's are free and work fine too.

In any case, I always, always vent the tires somehow, either with a small hole in the inside of the rim, or a small one in the tread of the tire depending on what makes sense (for steelies, easier for a small hole in the tire tread). Allows the foams to do their job and it is no longer affected by ambient temps/variable air pressure.

There's a lot of threads on "to vent or not to vent" and I'm in the vent camp myself since I'm not in water or mud too often. Worth a read.

Last edited by OSRC; 12-08-2014 at 12:17 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsCheated View Post
Couldn't the same be said for putting holes in your tires?
Holes in the tires make it easier to get most of the water out (you can position the hole as the low point and squeeze or spin the water out.)

If you put the holes in the wheels the water will still get in to the foams but be nearly impossible to get out without taking the wheels back apart.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
~THE SCALE SHOP~

vent the inside sidewall of the tires. not the wheels. i prefer two 1/8" holes 180* apart
you have internal beadlocks so you would actually have to drill the outer hoop and one wheel half. dont do it.
plus holes in the buldge of the sidewall make draining water out a breeze.
for best performance you should always vent.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #16
RCC Addict

yes as dostradamus said

when the tires have the holes then the water will drain or even be spun off as you drive the car.
if you drill the wheels it is a lot harder for the water to leave, you have to wait for evaporation.
if you don't go through water then it is a tossup. lots of wheels are already vented.

looks like you need oversize foams for those tires, I have had some rovers look like that until I used
oversize foams, same with the sedonas and panthers.
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #17
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
If it happened on a run, when the wheel/tire is sealed and your out running in the cold the air cools inside the tire and condenses. It sucks in the tire creating flat spots. We had a Wraith out last weekend and we had some snow on the ground for the first time...his sealed tires sucked in so bad by the end of the run he had 3 distinct flat spots per tire - they looked like triangles! Of course, in warmer temps, the tires get bouncy as the opposite occurs.
X2

I've got a few non-vented tires I mounted this summer and fall. Right now they're sucked down pretty good because of the temperature change.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I have always drilled the rims not the tires - Sorry but being a 1:1 guy, holes in tires aren't good.
But which ever you pick - they need to be vented to work properly.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
they need to be vented to work properly.
In almost six years of running crawlers, I've never had to vent a tire to make them work properly.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
In almost six years of running crawlers, I've never had to vent a tire to make them work properly.
Vent a tire or vent a rim?
And I'd you've never done it, how do you know what "working properly" is?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but it's pretty common know how, crawler and 1:1, you want a tire to flex.
1:1s let the air down to very very low psi, crawlers we use proper foam setups, and vent.

Without doing this, it will not work as well as possible.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote

Drill My Wheels? Where? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what kind of drill bit do i need to drill out Rc4wd gears? Rox4life Axial XR10 5 11-07-2012 08:34 AM
Drill Breather Holes in Wheels YES or NO ???? remydegreat Newbie General 16 06-24-2011 06:36 AM
What size drill bit for drilling wheels to use with Axial Hex's? BigB_117 Tires and Wheels 15 03-31-2009 06:00 PM
wheels, air tight or drill a hole srx Tires and Wheels 17 03-08-2008 12:20 PM
how to narrow 2.2 wheels by an erectric hand drill H I R O Tires and Wheels 26 02-02-2007 11:53 PM