Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Trimming CI closed cell foam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Trimming CI closed cell foam

Have anyone tried to adjust the width of CI Deuce's Wild foam?

Need something to suit my Vanquish OMF Wheels and have a set of standard 2.2 laying. Thought of trimming it down in width with my Dremel.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2014, 02:07 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Trimming CI closed cell foam

The actuall size of Vanquish wheels just irritates me. It's a shame they make so great looking wheels and fail to make them in a size that fits most common tires and foams..
Old 12-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-M View Post
Have anyone tried to adjust the width of CI Deuce's Wild foam?

Need something to suit my Vanquish OMF Wheels and have a set of standard 2.2 laying. Thought of trimming it down in width with my Dremel.
Great idea! Use your dremel with the 120 grit sanding drum attachment.

Start with medium speed, and slowly sand the closed cell foam at angle going towards your narrow wheel.

It doesn't take much. The foam sands very easily. I would suggest to leave 2mm over the bead lock to keep the inner foam tight.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-M View Post
The actuall size of Vanquish wheels just irritates me. It's a shame they make so great looking wheels and fail to make them in a size that fits most common tires and foams..
I totally agree. VP makes some of the best looking and best quality bead locks. It's sad they only come in .7 width. Apparently no one else cares how they perform, just as long as they look good. The average manufacture tire is 2.00" in width, if not wider. Why would you want all that tire hanging over the rim unsupported? Plus the narrow wheel stretches the tire, creating a crowned tire profile, and it increases the bounce or rebound of the foams. I have never seen a need for a rim narrower than 1". Oh well, what would I know? It's not like anyone would listen
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Great idea! Use your dremel with the 120 grit sanding drum attachment.

Start with medium speed, and slowly sand the closed cell foam at angle going towards your narrow wheel.

It doesn't take much. The foam sands very easily. I would suggest to leave 2mm over the bead lock to keep the inner foam tight.

Good luck

I totally agree. VP makes some of the best looking and best quality bead locks. It's sad they only come in .7 width. Apparently no one else cares how they perform, just as long as they look good. The average manufacture tire is 2.00" in width, if not wider. Why would you want all that tire hanging over the rim unsupported? Plus the narrow wheel stretches the tire, creating a crowned tire profile, and it increases the bounce or rebound of the foams. I have never seen a need for a rim narrower than 1". Oh well, what would I know? It's not like anyone would listen

What did you say something?
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. I'll fire up the little drum and see. I'm not sure im describing this well in english but my guess is that the stiffer core in these closed cell foams will build a "bridge" and transfer forces between the wider tire and narrow wheel, and that it will function well after all. I actually prefer 1,25"-ish wheels. Got these "for free" with a trade and have to give them a try.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:31 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I ended up mounting them without trimming the foams. Looks kind of funny with the narrow wheels. Tried a Superswamper 2.2 XL and it just looked really wierd..

Trimming CI closed cell foam - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C.I.'s Deuce's Wild 1.9 Single Stage Closed Cell Foam urnot2brightru Tires and Wheels 14 06-29-2016 04:28 PM
Tuning CI C.I.'s Deuce's Wild Single Stage Closed Cell Foam noname0383 Tires and Wheels 5 02-22-2014 06:39 AM
Crawler Innovations SS closed cell foam for Pitbull 1.9's ROLANDROCKSHOP Tires and Wheels 18 08-17-2013 05:52 PM
Cheap closed cell foam tire mod. Werty Made Tires and Wheels 15 01-11-2013 08:10 PM