Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Pit bull growlers. Alien compound, worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Pit bull growlers. Alien compound, worth it?

Hey guys. I'm getting close to being done with my 1.55" full leaf spring custom ascender build. I've got a set of brand new growlers I bough second hand and iim not sure of compound. Willing to bet they're the comp compound and not alien. I'm also not running bead locks so once they're glued, they're glued. Just wondering how to tell what compound I've already got, and if it's worth the money for a complete set of alien compound ones when I've got a new set sitting on my bench.

Also, I'd like input from guys running 1.55" growlers on how you like them, what foams you're running and weight of rig. I run mostly bare rock. Mix of smooth and jagged natural ledge face rock. The truck is geared slow but should have some wheel speed as I'm running 4s power with Holmes hobbies crawlmaster motor. Thanks!
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #2

Default Re: Pit bull growlers. Alien compound, worth it?

i wont give foam advice but the comp compound tires are very good and get better once you get a little wear into them. i wouldnt hesitate to run them.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If they don't have the alien puppy on the sidewalk then they're the older comp compound. The old compound is still great, and has performed REALLY well for many years. I personally ran some cut down 1.9 Rock Beast foams in my Growlers for years. Crawler Innovations also has some great foams, and he can point you in the right direction if you know the weight of your rig and it's intended purpose. Just don't glue them up on the inside of the rim until you get the foams figured out.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'm interessefelt in the same thing. Is there any of you that's tested both compounds in the 1.55 Growler? An comparsion would be great.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:33 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I have not got to run these yet, as I'm still building. But here you can see the alien puppy as mentioned above.
I will be running the foams supplied with these tires. They are softer than deuces wild foams but firmer than Lil novas. I think they will work well on my heavier hard body cherokee with curries.
littletoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #6

Growlers are great on some surfaces, but not so good on others. If you have clean, dry rocks you'll love them. If you mud, loose dirt, or wet rocks you're not going to be a big fan.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks. I don't do mud, period. Mostly dry natural rock and hard packed trails. Sometimes at the beach the rock is wet from the surf but at that point. No tire is really good on slimy algae covered beack rock.

Mostly wondering if the alien compound is THAT much better for me to warrant buying a set insead of using my brand new set in komp compound. Thanks!
Ben
Old 03-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Thanks. I don't do mud, period. Mostly dry natural rock and hard packed trails. Sometimes at the beach the rock is wet from the surf but at that point. No tire is really good on slimy algae covered beack rock.

Mostly wondering if the alien compound is THAT much better for me to warrant buying a set insead of using my brand new set in komp compound. Thanks!
Ben
I can't answer the part about the compound. I am awaiting the release of the OG Rock Beats in Alien Kompound and then I'll be able to compare.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

The original growlers work great. A friend runs them on his class 1 tf2. Honestly his seem to work good on the wet Creek beds also. I'm hoping the alien compound is even better.
littletoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Once the komp compound tires are broken in, they should be good for the intended purpose. Komp compound gets better as the tires wear more but alien compound gives you that same broken in performance straight out of the bag for immediate gratification (obviously the new compound will get better as it wears too but I'm not yet sure how much better). Unless you are in a hurry to extract maximum performance, use the tires you have and drive them as much as possible.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #11

They all preform well, but the Alien Compound is awesome!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
oleroycluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I have used the 2.2 Alien growlers for an entire summer. The more the tires wear, the better. The only tire I have used when it's wet it performs as good as it does dry. I highly recommend them.
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
If they don't have the alien puppy on the sidewalk then they're the older comp compound. The old compound is still great, and has performed REALLY well for many years. I personally ran some cut down 1.9 Rock Beast foams in my Growlers for years. Crawler Innovations also has some great foams, and he can point you in the right direction if you know the weight of your rig and it's intended purpose. Just don't glue them up on the inside of the rim until you get the foams figured out.
X2 to what Tim said.
I also ran 1.9 Rock Beast foams in my 1.55 PB Growlers in comp conpound and they filled the tyre nicely . They have been the goto tyre for a long time and even by other drivers of other brands. Many RC4WD drivers run them too.
That alone should tell you how good they are as a goto tyre.
As others said the more you run them the better they get.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Oz Bruiser; 03-21-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I have the 1.9's and 2.2's and they work great. Like everyone has said the longer you run them the better they perform.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:45 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Thanks guys. I have a set of 1.9" rock beasts with the ci rock beast foams. Single stage and LOVE them. The foams are amazing with the tires. How are you guys running 1.9 foams in 1.55 tires? More specific, are you running 1.55 tires stretched on 1.9 rims with 1.9 foams? Or doing something to the foams or rims to take up the space since the run is 1.55" and the inner circle of the foam is 1.9". I'm running 1.55" rims with these 1.55" Growlers. Thanks!
Ben

Pit bull growlers. Alien compound, worth it? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pit Bull PBX A/T Hardcore Alien compound review and video new2rocks Tires and Wheels 10 05-18-2016 07:13 PM
Pitbull 2.2 Growlers in alien compound SoCal Crawlr Axial Yeti 4 05-16-2015 11:46 PM
Alien Technology 2.2 Pit Bull Growler dezmoon Tires and Wheels 38 05-02-2015 10:57 AM