Notices

Thread: Which of these torches

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Which of these torches

Well which of these would be the best

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3687

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gll.0&MID=9876 this one bu get some more tips

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Victor-Oxy-A...QQcmdZViewItem or this

I am just talkign bout the torch not bottels

Last edited by Skippy; 11-23-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I've been researching and researching for the last couple days. There have been a few threads on this subject but not really a single answer as to whats best. I have really been looking into this torch at home depot. I'm not sure if its overkill but I don't want to spend $7 a bottle on mapp and not know when the bottle is going to be out. I rather have gauges and spend a little more upfront to get something good. I'm just trying to find tanks that i need.....

hmmmm that home depot link takes you to some crazy generators or something.

go to www.homedepot.com and type in "brazing" for the search. It will bring up a unit made by lincoln electric for around $170. It's the one i'm curious about.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yes, u can get that same set up at harbor freight for $90 it might not be as good but a lot cheeper bottles in Fort Collins are about $150 for both filled first time and like $10 each refill after that.
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy
I've been researching and researching for the last couple days. There have been a few threads on this subject but not really a single answer as to whats best. I have really been looking into this torch at home depot. I'm not sure if its overkill but I don't want to spend $7 a bottle on mapp and not know when the bottle is going to be out. I rather have gauges and spend a little more upfront to get something good. I'm just trying to find tanks that i need.....

hmmmm that home depot link takes you to some crazy generators or something.

go to www.homedepot.com and type in "brazing" for the search. It will bring up a unit made by lincoln electric for around $170. It's the one i'm curious about.
so not one thread tells you what you need? Brazing question
filling holes in tubing...

you dont need oxy/act. torch unless you work on a 1:1 truck also. I have a set and they are just too big for this. as for running out and not knowing when, that is why you already have a 2nd bottle of mapp gas.. but since you already mad ethe comment you don't want mapp gas, that already answers your question as to which one to get. get the first one skippy posted and hopefully that will be a small enough tip. I use 2 bottles of mapp on a tuber( thats axles and all).. how many tubers are you planning on turning out anyway?
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:29 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Well I have 3 projects I want to do for sure. I'd imagine I would have more as time comes also. I seen the mapp/oxy torch at home depot for $50. So $50 plus $35 for 5 extra tanks. Twisted, how much oxy do you use? I thought it required a lot more mapp than 2 bottlers per chassis.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
Colt Python/SR9c

i dont use oxygen unless it is a thick material.. i only use mapp gas.. i have the oxy/mapp kit, but i just go through oxygen like i was breathing it
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Is this JUST for brazing? Seems a bit of an overkill.

I thought the oxygen was just for cutting metal. You heat up the metal cherry red with the mapp/acet. and then blow oxygen throught the metal to cut it.

Or does it use a little bit of oxygen while just heating?
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
RCC Addict

We have an oxy/act in our shop, my dad says he has tips small enough for brake line, and he's willing to teach me to braze. Is there any problem in using a regular oxy/act torch?
On an oxy/act torch both are run at the same time, there is a valve on the torch body for the extra blast of oxy to blow metal away when cutting.

Last edited by Trike Kid; 11-27-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote