Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Fastenal has acetal!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #21
Suck it up!

I live in BFE, so no plastic supply shop. There are a few plastic component mfg's, but trying to talk to someone there about thier scraps is nearly impossible (I've tried).
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

thanks Eritex and Duuuuuude...

your guys Fastenal must be way bigger than our POS store here...its in a hole in the wall that is maybe 80 x 80 room with like 5 shelves in it and the people that work there are COMPLETE morons..went in the other day (cause it was close to the job site) as asked for white flag markers...she had no idea what I wanted....I pointed to the crap load hanging on the wall and she just giggled and wanted to know what I was using them for...our store sucks....
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #23
Suck it up!

Mine has a fair amount of stuff, though I can't say I was blown away when I first went in there. Doesn't sound like its much bigger than yours though. The people that work there seem to be on the ball, which makes a world of difference.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
thanks Eritex and Duuuuuude...

your guys Fastenal must be way bigger than our POS store here...its in a hole in the wall that is maybe 80 x 80 room with like 5 shelves in it and the people that work there are COMPLETE morons..went in the other day (cause it was close to the job site) as asked for white flag markers...she had no idea what I wanted....I pointed to the crap load hanging on the wall and she just giggled and wanted to know what I was using them for...our store sucks....
Yeah, when I first discovered our town had a fastenal, I had high hopes that the people would have more knowledge about their products than say Lowes or Home Depot. The guys at my local store didn't know what Acetal and Delrin was, and they thought Dupont only made paint and tyvek. One guy didn't even know what a cap head screw was supposed to look like.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Default Delrin #

There are a couple of fastenals that are near me and they have no idea what Delrin or acetal are. They ask me if I have a part# for the rod and maybe they can help me. Does anyone have the fastenal part# for 5/16,3/8, or1/4 inch rod?

Thanks,
Neil
nsg1rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

The 1/4" is 0955850. I just went by my fastenal today, they didn't know what it was but took the time to look it up for me, said they would have to order it...

So I just ordered it from McMasterCarr
slam49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Why buy and use acetal when seaboard is just as good if not better. It's 1/3 of the cost and does not absorb moisture and is just as slippy.

The only draw back is that it's only comes in white.

This stuff is cheap: http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=344&

my two pieces of 3"x12"x3/8" was only $5.

compare the prices of acetal:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=337&

to the above link, more for less.
zoojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoojunkie View Post
Why buy and use acetal when seaboard is just as good if not better. It's 1/3 of the cost and does not absorb moisture and is just as slippy.

The only draw back is that it's only comes in white.

This stuff is cheap: http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=344&

my two pieces of 3"x12"x3/8" was only $5.

compare the prices of acetal:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=337&

to the above link, more for less.
Seaboard, HDPE (high density polyethylene), is to flexible. It is more of a waxy plastic that deforms to much in link and some chassis applications. Also, it does not hold threads well at all. I have used it in the past and try to steer clear of it anymore.
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
Seaboard, HDPE (high density polyethylene), is to flexible. It is more of a waxy plastic that deforms to much in link and some chassis applications. Also, it does not hold threads well at all. I have used it in the past and try to steer clear of it anymore.
Thanks for the info Germane, but for short pieces seaboard works well enough. I'm experimenting with seaboard, see how that works out, but for prototyping, seaboard is cheap! VHMW would make a great torsion chassis material though, so I will probably get some of that over acetal just because of price.
zoojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Polyethylene also seems to gouge easier than acetal in skid duties
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

FYI guys, if you had prices from say...another supplier that is perhaps not local to you, you can take that to fastenal and if they are anything like my local store they will try their best to beat the price. They have taken all of the business I was sending to McMaster along with a few bulk vendors.
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Hmm, good idea, thanks Don!
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #33
Rock Stacker

i get all the delrin i want from my wifes dad. its all scrap to his company, ive gotten pieces as big as 1 in thick by 6 feet long. it takes a while to cut it all down but hey its free!
low_down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #34
RCC Addict

well fastenal called to come pick up my delrin today and they cant get any acetol, my 3/8 x 48" rod was shipped uh 3/8 x 12 inches. all totaled was 27.00 and change when I ordered it and 36.89 when i picked it up today without my 3/8 x 48" . so all I can say is small buyers beware the handling and shipping was expensive on something they should have in stock. just another scammin type deal i guess, never never never again...
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Fastenal is WAY overpriced! On everything.
Try RTL fasteners.

Your welcome.
muddauber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #36
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddauber7 View Post
Try RTL fasteners.

Your welcome.
Tried RTL, no acetal or delrin came up in the search.

No thanks needed.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Online Metals carries several different kinds of acetal, the delrin (black) stuff is 44 cents a foot for 1/4" and 76 cents a foot for 3/8" with no minimum order. The 1/4" X 12" X 12" plate is about $22.

I also get tool steel, aluminum, titainium, brass etc from them because it you need 1" of 3/4" stainless steel rod they'll sell it to you for 76 cents, instead of making you buy 3 feet of it for $20. They do a have minimums on some things (like acetal plate is 12" x 12" minimum size) but most of what us crawlers normally use you get get by the inch. The service is great and the shipping is fast and reasonable.

Thier web site also has tons of information about the types of materials. They sell tons of stuff I had never heard of, including 3 crazy expensive composite forms of acetal.

Here's the site.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=2&top_cat=181
MystRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I'll second the plastics suppliers, if you have one in your area. I get all my Delrin/acetal pretty much for free, as I'm usually picking up other items (like 4'x8' sheets of lexan for cheap!) and they just throw in the scraps. Saves them having to haul them to the dump !
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddauber7 View Post

Try RTL fasteners.

Your welcome.
The Fastenal in my town has very good prices..I payed $5.85 for 6' of 5/16" black delrin rod.They actually had it in stock too..Most cases they have to order it for you.Plus I am pretty damn sure that Fastenal will price match too!

Tried your RTL recommendation,and came up with nothing.

There is always www.smallparts.com also...Good selection of metals and plastics in sheets or rods...Good prices too!

I have just been dealing with Fastenal though since I have a store in my town.

Last edited by Jeepial; 10-29-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

great thread-

My old housemate was a plastics salesman and brought home tons of samples & scrap (urethane, acrylics, nylon, etc in all shapes & sizes). He left most of it when he moved.

I've been using it now and again, and used some unknown black plastic sheet for the skidplate on my buggy. I had heard folks talking about Delrin, but this stuff was what I had on hand. It was hard, ridgid, slippery, & machined well, so I figured it was almost as good as Delrin.

The other day, I was cutting a piece out of a sheet of it, that had been buried in the scrap bin, when I noticed a small sticker with 'acetal' hand writen on it. I thought nothing of it, but figured that was the type of plasic it is.

thanks to this thread for the education!
Jeep-Power is offline   Reply With Quote