Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Fastenal has acetal!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #41
Suck it up!

FINALLY got my order today. Almost 3 weeks to get 25 3mm nuts is stupid. Not thier fault though, the store that was supposed to transfer them dropped the ball, repeatedly.

My small shipment of Acetal arrived in two pieces and took over a week to arrive. Somehow the 3/8 rod slipped out of the package and ended up with its own UPS tag on it. But I got it, so all is almost good.

The 5/16 rod is true acetal, but the 3/8 is Acetron. Guess its time to start shopping online...

The good news is it was such a clusterfawk that they dropped all the shipping charges and I got out the door for less than $8.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Colroado Plastics in boulder stocks sheets & rods. I'll track down the #...

(303) 443-9271

They seriously have everything
30percent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Default Delrin and Acetal are the same thing. no differences.

Polyoxymethylene [ commonly referred to as POM and also known as polyacetal or polyformaldehyde ] is an Engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts that require high stiffness, low friction and excellant dimensional stability. It is commonly known under Duponts trade name "DELRIN'. Sorry for the long version, but just so it's clear Delrin and Acetal is the same stuff. One is not slicker or stronger than the other. It's like name brand and generic. It's the exact same thing your just buying the name.
slashbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
About a buck a foot for 3/8" rod, and $30 for a square foot of 1/4" sheet.

Don't know about the sheet cost, but the rod sounds fairly cheap.
That's pretty high for sheet but that's probably what you're stuck with for places like that. There's a local plastic shop where I get it and I get the sheet for about a third that cost because they have pieces around that fit what I need for my small scale stuff. Don't know if they sell as cheap online or not. Their web address is www.plasticsupplyinc.net
RAM2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #45
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashbasher View Post
Polyoxymethylene [ commonly referred to as POM and also known as polyacetal or polyformaldehyde ] is an Engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts that require high stiffness, low friction and excellant dimensional stability. It is commonly known under Duponts trade name "DELRIN'. Sorry for the long version, but just so it's clear Delrin and Acetal is the same stuff. One is not slicker or stronger than the other. It's like name brand and generic. It's the exact same thing your just buying the name.
I knew that, but acetal and acetron is not the same. I think it was Offroader5 that gave us that little nugget. One was a copolymer and one was a homopolymer. I forget how that affects us...
Old 11-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #46
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashbasher View Post
While some of what you said is true...acetal & Delrin are not the same thing. Yes, it's true they are both an acetal, but Delrin is a specific synthesis of acetal. There are many different acetal mixes and with each comes their own rigidity, absorption, expansiveness, chemical resistance, and impact properties. Like I had said in another thread...all Delrin is acetal, but not all acetal can be Delrin. You can tell the difference in the properties by just examining a 12"x12"X.250" piece side by side of each Delrin & "acetal". Also depends on what color it is as to how the properties are affected.

BTW...you do know that anyone can add info to Wikipedia...whether it's completely correct or not
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

I ordered a bunch of screws nuts and washers and 5 ft sections of delrin rod at $3.87 per 5ft at 3 pm on monday it was at my shop at 10 am tuesday now thats quick service from mcmasters
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #48
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30percent View Post

(303) 443-9271

Just came back from there.......for a price comaparison, I picked up some 1/2" solid black Delrin rod for $0.81 per foot.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
BTW...you do know that anyone can add info to Wikipedia...whether it's completely correct or not
uh yeah,,DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON WIKIPEDIA... it is only correct until it is corrected by someone who knows better...I am an electrican who specializes in low voltage and telecommunications,,and i have personally read things on wiki that arent true or would really screw ya if you tried em in the field on an install or tech repair

on a nother note the ACE Hardware at 120th and Colorado Blvd. in Thornton carries a lot of M3, M4 and M5 hardware,,nylocs,,fender washers,,bolts,,etc,,a little higher than online pricing but you dont have to wait for it,,and you can take your piece the store and compare what your need is,,buy what you need

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 11-11-2009 at 02:01 PM.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #50
Rock Stacker

i found a place right down the street to me that specializes in hardware only, its my new favorite place. now i can just go there instead of ordering and paying shipping and waiting a week for my stuff.
low_down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

CHUD, good info. Over in my neck of the woods we have SSD plastics. They have scrape bin also. But they don't give it away. They do sell it at about 1/2 price though .
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #52
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30percent View Post

(303) 443-9271

I know this only affects us Colorado guys, but I got this email from Colorado Plastics today. They are moving to Lousiville this weekend......That's better for you 30

Colorado Plastics is wrapping up it's 40th year in Boulder, this week, Monday 11/23 through Wednesday 11/25/2009.

We'll be closed on Thursday and Friday. We'll look forward to serving you again, from our new location at 500 S. Arthur Avenue in Louisville, CO 80027, beginng on Monday, November 30th 2009. Our telephone number and email addresses will remain the same.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

I think I tried to get ahold of them and was quoted a shipping price that almost doubled a $50 order.....I'm really starting to dislike my options here in amarillo :( next day off I'll go check my fastenal and see if they've got any....

as far as the plastics go.....if it's "natural" white, can it be dyed black or any other color?
dhyde79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #54
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyde79 View Post
as far as the plastics go.....if it's "natural" white, can it be dyed black or any other color?
Yup. Just gotta make sure you use Rit dye...I haven't had any luck with some of the other brands. Took about 3 minutes to go from white to black.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

Ive gotten stuck with Acetron too on a local order. There is a big difference IMO, between co and homopolymer and Acetron is a copolymer. Its not as rigid as the delrin homopolymer. Think of it like comparing rigidity of nylon over graphite. May not be the most true example of the two but you get my drift. Im still looking for a local shop here in Tucson that carries the homopolymer instead of Acetron. Online, Norva Plastics seems to be a pretty reliable company. They have a lot of stuff on the bay at ok prices. Got that from Shane_744 build thread.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

Just for giggles and grins, I got a quote on 1/4" Black DelrinŽ rod at a local plastic supply. Very resonable. Even asked me if I needed homopolymer or copolymer. Quite was 50˘ a linear foot special order and overnight turnaround on the stock order (their stock order from their supplier is overnight). Sold in 8' sticks. Minimum order is $25.00 and have to order whole 8' foot rods. That's 54 feet of rod just for one truck. I may have to go into the Delrin link business until I use it all up
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote