Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Sketchup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

ok tnx for the help
you got any tips for me aboute the build?
and how can i make chassis in
theclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #42
Suck it up!

I'd say watch all the tutorials first, then start playing around. I drew all kinds of goofy crap just trying things out and getting familiar with the program.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
FYI: instead of doing screenshots, you can export your drawings into 2d jpegs onto your desktop.

even better is to download a rendering plugin like SU Podium. It has a free version and makes the models look pretty nice.
ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #44
Suck it up!

New Sketchup version is out.

Who wants some new wheels?

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 03-21-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #45
Suck it up!

One click and you can change the style...pretty cool...

Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 AM   #46
RCC Addict

Man nice work in there! I just use Autocad 2010 student edition . Ive heard... that the paid version{s} now can export in DXF which is nice if your taking a drawing to a machine shop to have them make stuff, that way if they don't make it right, they can argue it was off your drawing and not theirs
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #47
No idea what I'm doing

A link would have been nice.....I guess I could have Googled it.

It would be so cool if they included the Pro import/export features. Hopefully in 9?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #48
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
A link would have been nice.....I guess I could have Googled it.

It would be so cool if they included the Pro import/export features. Hopefully in 9?
I didn't even think about a link...it sent me to the update page when I opened the old program.

I'm not sure what import/export methods that are available in the free version...all I use is 2d export. I guess I could look tonight and see...
Old 03-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #49
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
I didn't even think about a link...it sent me to the update page when I opened the old program.

I forgot my ""...I was giving you crap!

If the export options get included, this would be a very powerful design tool for the price. A good shop could take any drawing and make a part with Sketchup (for a price), but a .dxf file would be so much easier. The $495 price of the Pro version is what kills me. For that price I would invest in Alibre first. If Google includes the .dxf export in the free version, I would change my mind. .dxf files would lower your machine shop price considerably.

Very interested in seeing what Google decides to do.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

What advantages does SU have over TurboCad 2D/3D?
MonkeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #51
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRiver View Post
What advantages does SU have over TurboCad 2D/3D?
I haven't used TurboCAD but one big advantage is price. A free modeling package is a nice tool to have, and if Google decides to include the import/export options, Sketchup would be a great program to know.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #52
Got Worms?

Well i just downloaded it to try it, and when using inventor and auto cad 2011 everyday, i can see its limited GREATLY, but still for being free its advance, i'd like to see a version more towards small parts, not buildings.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #53
Got Worms?

I just found something interesting, which i'm sure will apply to most everyone so they can get their hands on a FREE PRO license.

If your under 18, and go to public schools (like me"mrgreen") you get a free pro license.

OR if you have a child under 18 and goes to a public school they get a free license and you can just use it

http://www.journeyed.com/item/Google...udents/1458695

I'll try it out a little later when i get time, i'll fill ya'll in. Dependent how nice it is i may start setting some cash aside for inventor ($200) or go with soldiworks since its cheaper (i've only used it once though )

EDIT;

I lied, the free version is if you already have student 7 pro

its actually $50

http://www.journeyed.com/item/Google...udents/1457961

Last edited by losikid; 03-26-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: I lied
Old 03-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #54
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Well i just downloaded it to try it, and when using inventor and auto cad 2011 everyday, i can see its limited GREATLY, but still for being free its advance, i'd like to see a version more towards small parts, not buildings.
I'm not on my desktop so I can't access the program and give you the proper terminology, but you can change the initial layout from the large scale drawing to smaller scale, which is what I've been using.

While its not the most powerful program, its free and its fine for CAD hacks like me.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #55
Suck it up!

How about a quick-lock ring for noobs who have trouble getting their beads set.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #56
Got Worms?

Quote:
I'm not on my desktop so I can't access the program and give you the proper terminology, but you can change the initial layout from the large scale drawing to smaller scale, which is what I've been using.

While its not the most powerful program, its free and its fine for CAD hacks like me.
Yea i figured out how to get units to inches, and a few things since then.

and yea its great for being free, but in the free version (not sure about pro though) theres not much to edit the solids. But then again i've been spoiled by using inventor, i wonder what all solid editing pro can do?
Old 03-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #57
Suck it up!

Quote:
Yea i figured out how to get units to inches, and a few things since then.

and yea its great for being free, but in the free version (not sure about pro though) theres not much to edit the solids. But then again i've been spoiled by using inventor, i wonder what all solid editing pro can do?
I've been doing everything in millimeters. I love the metric system, its so easy. I even went out and bought a metric tape measure.

Editing stuff is beyond me at this point...the time has come to sit and watch tutorials. Probably make my little life a bit easier.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #58
Got Worms?

Quote:
I've been doing everything in millimeters. I love the metric system, its so easy. I even went out and bought a metric tape measure.

Editing stuff is beyond me at this point...the time has come to sit and watch tutorials. Probably make my little life a bit easier.
I use engineering scale, 1/1000" 1/100" 1/10" or x.xxx. Its easy too, although the shop/construction teacher hates it when i call out dimesions by the thousandth instead of its fractional name 1/16"-.0625 1/8 .125 3/16 .1875 1/4 .250 etc. I have all those down in memory, i'm starting to get the 1/32's too But i guess that's what happens when someone reads and draws blue prints for 2 hours, then machine out parts for 2 hours a day.

From what i can tell sketch up only has the press pull command, which is all thats needed to get the idea across of what you want.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #59
Suck it up!

Quote:
From what i can tell sketch up only has the press pull command, which is all thats needed to get the idea across of what you want.
Which is what exactly?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #60
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Dependent how nice it is i may start setting some cash aside for inventor ($200) or go with soldiworks since its cheaper
Cheaper? I'd like to know where you purchase Solidworks for under $200...I'd be in for a seat myself

I had a hard time figuring out Sketchup until I started watching the tutorials, but judging from the some of the things Duuuuuuude has shown, it seems more than capable, especially for home hobby use. Not sure it would sway me away from Solidworks, but if I didn't have access to SW, I would definitely learn more and figure it out.