Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: brazing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

ya i got 3 oz from my local welding supply shop for like 70bucks and i would guess i used about 10 or 15 bucks worth. it took me 2 days to make my cage and by the end i got really good. it was so fun your gonna love it
theblackmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Hate to wake the dead thread, But I have no need for tons of solder, and was wondering if this small "kit" is worth the price, or quality?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ex-Easy-56-Silve...item4cf1081290
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

if it's the same one, the small kit was enough to get me started and then some.

in fact i'm still going on the same bottle of flux i got in my kit, just adding water if it becomes crusty.

i actually just picked up another ounce of wire, this time i am trying some really thin 1/32 weldcote wire that is 45 %. so far it's really nice to work with. perfect for smaller things. i was using 3/32 45% to replace the 56% that i started with.
i found that the 56% solder i used was taking more heat to get to flow decent. when i switched to the 45% the joints flowed smoother at temp.

now that i have this 1/32 45% the heat is minimal.
the joints feel as strong as the ones with 56%, meaning i bend the tube before the joint fails. naturally the 56% will be the stronger of the two, but i don't have any complaints with the final results using 45%.

anyone else use really thin wire ?

only drawback i have run into is if you want to fill a little to make that molded look.
oh well i guess it is time to cut out little gussets now
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

i have the same bottle of flux from my harris safety-silv 45 kit i bought 2 years ago and add water to it when it got dry....i bought it from airgas and i'm in need of more silver solder, called them and found they they have five 18" rods that are 1/16" dia of the 45 for 35 bucks....they also have the kit i bought for 28 bucks but i don't need the flux yet.........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #25
N.E.R.C.C Uncle Blinky

this is all i use to fab up my stuff..and i get my brake line in 51" lenth's

+

=

Drail
Drail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #26
RCC Addict

If your a noob at brazing, getting the metal to the right temp is critical. The solder will melt at a lower temp than is required to braze the metal togeter. after many mistakes a lot of wasted silver solder, I now get both pieces at the joint a nice orange in color, touch the solder to out but not in the direct flame. If it is hot enough, it will flow nicely. If it just slides alog the metal, add a little more heat.

Mapp is ok, just slow, use Oxy Acetalyne (SP?) and it is quick work. I would also recommend you buy your brake like in sticks instead of rolls and get it uncoated.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Not a noob to brazing, just to silver.. I've been doing brass for a while, but I have to head to my parents to do that. I'd like to setup something small in my tiny man cave(aka 1 car garage)

I'm bending up a bumper for my jeep out of 3/16 rod. Was toying with welding, but my interest was peaked with silver.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
Not a noob to brazing, just to silver.. I've been doing brass for a while, but I have to head to my parents to do that. I'd like to setup something small in my tiny man cave(aka 1 car garage)

I'm bending up a bumper for my jeep out of 3/16 rod. Was toying with welding, but my interest was peaked with silver.

I bought the Harris 45 1 ounce kit with flux, and it worked out great for my first time attempt at brazing. The kit will do quite a bit, so it is worth it to try out.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote