Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Tool Organizing - Drawers in the tool chest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Looking good man! Looks alot like the main drawer of my tool box, nice and neat. I never could understand how most of the guys I worked with had a 4:30 drawer.
lol that funny... I got a few guys at my work that have those... I'll have to take a pic of the worst guys box/cart tomorrow.
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #22
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboShadow View Post
Wow... that is rediclous. I use these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...ail-39722.html

They may not look as fancy, but IMO they are ALOT more functional. They are not near as fragile, and its really nice that you can grab the entire set of sockets and crawl under a car knowing you will have the right socket. The price is quite nice too. I bet i have 6 or 7 sticks of sockets on those things!

These things kick ass.

The individual socket holders are interchangeable on the rail. In the above photo of the completed socket drawer I have 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 on the same rail. Price isn't bad, either. Priced good enough that I didn't mind cutting one to fit that drawer.

I also got some of these for the socket drawer. A bunch of the extra crap that I don't use is on these lil' magnetic jokers and stuck to the walls of the drawer. I figure if I ever lose a socket I'll be able to grab a spare. The magnets aren't very strong on those socket holders, but they keep the sockets in place when the kids slam the drawer shut. I'm not going to pick up the holder and carry it around anyway.

I usually grab the socket I need instead of grabbing a handful.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

heres the pic... He works from this crap everyday.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #24
06 Super National Champ

Wrenches.

Bought some organizers from Sears and figured I'd try them out. It's 1/2" thick foam in a plastic C-channel with double-sided tape on the bottom of the channel. The foam is pre-cut for wrenches to be inserted from the top but the cut-outs are left in place so you can use these as drawer dividers.

Started with some of the wrench sets (ratcheting and reversible ratcheting) then did the line wrenches and stubby ratcheting. All of my regular non-ratcheting wrenches are organized in plastic trays that hold both standard and metric wrenches. I have two of those trays filled.

Got everything put in holders and stuck it all in the drawer. Still messing around with placement so I didn't stick them in place. The two trays of wrenches are stacked on the right and the ratcheting and reversible ratcheting sets are stacked by inch and metric. Front of the drawer has line wrenches and stubby ratcheting.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

The pliers rack has been around for a while but I finally got one and it works pretty good. I have a few tools so anything to keep better organized is a plus.
Steve

STJ7780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

the MAC guy must love you.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #27
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post

I like the trays on the far right. Haven't seen those before...did you also get those from Sears?

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
the MAC guy must love you.
That's actually an older picture before I moved it around. Here is a newer one. The Mac guy loved me about 12 years when I bought it. Thank god My tools are paid off now.
Steve

And just for fun, this is what I get to play with during the day.

STJ7780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post

JIA: We need more info on that bike!!!!!!! Maybe a seperate thread? (In Chit Chat)

Your tool organization puts mine to shame btw... As long as I have all my screwdrivers in one drawer I'm doin good!
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

When I was a little kid I never understood my dad and grandpas love of tools or the need for a garage full of them.

Now, between my truck and my R/C stuff, I cant get enough tools! Im working on getting my lil Sears Mechanics Kit organized in a nice tool box for my truck.
KROGOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
JIA: We need more info on that bike!!!!!!! Maybe a seperate thread? (In Chit Chat)

Your tool organization puts mine to shame btw... As long as I have all my screwdrivers in one drawer I'm doin good!
fine organizing folks... That bike looks like a Specialized Transition TT bike with a SRAM red component group.
Elastokinematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastokinematic View Post
That bike looks like a Specialized Transition TT bike with a SRAM red component group.
Some detail shots would still be rad
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #33
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ7780 View Post
The pliers rack has been around for a while but I finally got one and it works pretty good. I have a few tools so anything to keep better organized is a plus.
Steve
Diggin' that pliers rack. I have a portion of my pliers in a drawer (see below) but not happy with how few are in the drawer that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I like the trays on the far right. Haven't seen those before...did you also get those from Sears?

Yes. Link: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=1307416294314

Quote:

I'm still working on the rest of the box. A few of the drawers are below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastokinematic View Post
fine organizing folks... That bike looks like a Specialized Transition TT bike with a SRAM red component group.
Specialized Tarmac Elite with Red group with the exception of the front derailleur. That's Shimano 105. Works awesome with the Red shifter.

Quote:
Some detail shots would still be rad
I think there's a thread on it around here somewhere.

Welding drawer. Has consumables, excess shrink tubing, and some exhaust wrap for a project thrown in there.

Fasteners and razor blades. Also have a stubborn screw remover thrown in there.

Shrink tubing and tape drawer.

Screwdrivers and pick set.

Hammer drawer

Some of the air tools. Working on where these will go.

Wrenches and pliers. Got this far on this drawer this morning.

T-handle Torx and Allen (Inch and Metric)

Clamps

Various measuring crap.

Router

Some bike tools

Electrical stuff

The finished ratchet drawer. Finally added the 3/8" finger ratchet

Sockets
Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #34
No idea what I'm doing

Do you have an overall shot of this roll-away? You keep posting drawer after drawer and it doesn't seem to end
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #35
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Do you have an overall shot of this roll-away? You keep posting drawer after drawer and it doesn't seem to end

It's just a 41" Craftsman.

An older one, though. This one has the full width top drawer in the roller. Apparently this hasn't been offered for a few years now.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 09-25-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #36
06 Super National Champ

...and the kids' box that I picked up this weekend. Yes, they have their own tools. Primarily for woodworking but my son likes playing with metal too. It's bad when I have to fight with them to use the band saw, though.

The kids have been hounding me for their own tool chest. The wife and I looked at an evolv at Sears that was normally $89.99 and was on sale for $84.99. Thought about it but didn't pull the trigger.

The kids and I made a trip to Sears this weekend and they had a Stanley unit on sale from $149.99 to $99.99. It's a lightweight unit but it'll last the kids until one of them is old enough to go out on their own and then it'll make a good starter unit.

So we bought one and got it home. Unpacked it and found a dent in the top of the roller. Weird, 'cause all of the packing foam wasn't damaged. Box was also good. It's like it was damaged and packed anyway.

Took it back and they only one left in the store was the display. They gave me an extra 5% off and we left with the display unit.

I used the area under the risers to stick the garage radio. We've been using an old Kenwood receiver and some old ('91) Bose 201s for sound in the garage for years now. Those 201s just won't die.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Awesomwe setup! I like that you got the kids their own box.

Does the XD always live with the sockets?
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #38
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybuilder View Post
Awesomwe setup! I like that you got the kids their own box.

Does the XD always live with the sockets?
All of my random extras are being thrown into that box for them to use too.

XD pretty much stays there if I'm out there. Nice neighborhood and all, but I used to have some crazy-ass neighbors. The boyfriend would put a pistol in the girlfriend's face. I was playing darts one night and she came over and said "Jason, he's got a gun and I'm scared." He came out of the house, saw her in front of the garage talking to me, and he came to my house and got in my face. Kept talking about how he's a man and he handles things like a man "Do ya feel me?" Dude was/is a First Sergeant in the Army too.

They had both been drinking so I played stupid and made him explain "Do ya feel me" while keeping an eye on his hands. By that time the XD had found it's way to the winch plate on the TJ...right behind me.

I was glad to see those crazies move. On trash day you'd hear a dull thud as the cans from the neighbors were emptied - except for the crazies. Sounded like a damn beer bottle wind chime being dropped. I swear their trash was nothing but beer bottles.

Anyway...

I'm still dickin' around getting tool trays made. Finally finished this one for the big file set.

Still have a few ideas bouncing around to make the most of the space I have.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #39
06 Super National Champ

I picked up a Rubbermaid dish drain and made a Knipex holder.

Pardon the mess on the bench, the kids were doing S'mores tonight and using the bench for their assembly line.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 07-08-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #40
TEAM MODERATOR

Although my toolbox isn't really messy, I'd need another box if I organized like that. Very cool though. I like the pliers rack idea, may try that. I like the wrench holder that holds them on their sides to. Wrenches and pliers kill allot of space in mine. One thing that also kills my box is 2 drawers filled with countless drills, end mills, turning tools and boring bars.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote