Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: I love early morning FedEx deliveries..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
Check your G-Spot, Start there and back track.........That's the best way to find something..

Looks awesome Craig, I can't wait to see what that thing can make........
Now that shit is funny!!!
schmaged88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Default Re: I love early morning FedEx deliveries..

A step closer boys and girls..
Bolted to the stand, and leveled up. Need to get the electrical run and finish up the control PC...

Last edited by bigstu; 10-17-2012 at 09:33 PM.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Where's the Chips?
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #44
RCC Addict

Having trouble finding an electrician that doesn't want to rob me blind to install a couple more circuits.
Might just end up buying a conduit bender and do it myself.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
Might just end up buying a conduit bender and do it myself.
I bought my set (1/2, 3/4, 1, 1.5 inch) from a pawn shop. All Klein all damn near brand new for less then $100
schmaged88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

If you need a hand in programming feel free to PM me. Id be willing to generate the codes for you if you can provide the dimensions
crowninshield3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowninshield3 View Post
If you need a hand in programming feel free to PM me. Id be willing to generate the codes for you if you can provide the dimensions
Thank you. I'll let you know if I run in to any problems.
I used to program and work on CNC mills and lathes in the auto industry, but it has been a few years.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Ran in to a little snag last night. Moved the PC for controlling the mill down stairs. Hooked it all up, plugged it in, the mill powered up the pc didn't.
Can you imagine, the power supply and computer that has been working for 10+ years had to pick last night to give up the ghost.
Pulled the power supply out and you could smell that it wasn't pretty inside.
So, now I need to get a pc, or a power supply for a 10 year old computer, to get this sucker running.
Be patient guys. We'll be making chips soon.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #49
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
So, now I need to get a pc, or a power supply for a 10 year old computer, to get this sucker running.
Not sure what you have, but I had power supply issues on an older PC. I really didn't want to spend $60 for a new power supply on a machine so old, and didn't have the cash for a new rig, so I found this:

A+ Perfect Computers | How to fix a Dell CX305N Power Supply

Not sure if it will help, or if your problem is more than just caps, but it only cost me about $3 to fix and it's been working fine ever since.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What kind of computer is it? post a picture of the power supply, I have a bunch of old ones that work and may have something that will get you going for the cost of shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Not sure what you have, but I had power supply issues on an older PC. I really didn't want to spend $60 for a new power supply on a machine so old, and didn't have the cash for a new rig, so I found this:

A+ Perfect Computers | How to fix a Dell CX305N Power Supply

Not sure if it will help, or if your problem is more than just caps, but it only cost me about $3 to fix and it's been working fine ever since.
This is a great idea too! Though through my experience, when it has the burnt electric smell it is usually more than just the caps. Not always though, so there is hope!
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #51
Suck it up!

Quote:
Ran in to a little snag last night. Moved the PC for controlling the mill down stairs. Hooked it all up, plugged it in, the mill powered up the pc didn't.
Can you imagine, the power supply and computer that has been working for 10+ years had to pick last night to give up the ghost.
Pulled the power supply out and you could smell that it wasn't pretty inside.
Go check your local Salvation Army. I see everything from towers to ready to go desktop setups at mine for cheap.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #52
RCC Addict

It is an old school Gateway Tower. One of the first Pentium P4 processor series to come out. It uses 533MHz FSB RDRAM. So if anyone knows where some is, please let me know. I would love to buy some more, just can't find it ANYWHERE....

Here is what she looks like, minus the SATA drives. I still have IDE in this monster.

This is what the power supply looks like.

I'm pretty sure it is an ATX case power supply. Would like to stick with 350w or better. I have lots of fans and things running inside.

I wish I could fix it. I cracked the case open and there are BIG TIME burn tracks on the board. Looks like one of the caps when out and when it did, it took a bunch of stuff with it.

Figured I would hit up the local computer place and then the big box stores. Fingers crossed. Thank you for all the ideas guys..
Old 10-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

That is ATX, let me see if I can come up with a 350+. I don't know what is in storage, I'll swing by after work and take a look.

I have no RDRam.. sorry.but you can try here: Gateway 700 700X (RDRAM 533Mhz FSB) Desktop RAM Memory Upgrade
Old 10-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Sorry Stu, I have nothing suitable for you in a power supply, The 2 I have that were 400 and 450 both failed on my tester. They have been in a buddies garage, exposed to FL humidity and had visible corrosion inside.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #55
RCC Addict

No problem DickyT, thank you much for checking them out. I am going to head to Mom's house tonight and check out my secret stash.
I know I have some parts over at her house, just not sure what she has thrown out and what is still there.

I stopped over to best buy last night and checked out what they had. Suprisingly they have a pretty good stock of ATX power supplies on the shelf, the problem is the connectors. All of them were missing one of the connectors that goes down to the mother board.
Here is an image of the typical ATX connectors. Seems they don't put in the 6-pin connector, in the lower right, and I need that one to power the mother board..

Last edited by bigstu; 11-02-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Wow the 6 pin is DEAD as heck. I don't even think that connector has been used in some time. Let me dig around, we might have an old Dell PSU with all those (actually came from a very similar system). And believe it or not I believe that PC still has some RDRAM in it.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #57
RCC Addict

That would be awesome Jake. Thank you. Some Ram to go in it would be sweet as well.
Yeah, she is an old computer, but has run without any issues at all, right up till a couple nights ago.

Here's my dilemma. The CNC needs a parallel port to run. This PC, since it is VERY old, has one. The new systems generally don't have the ports.
You can get the usb to parallel port adapters, however the usb generally doesn't have enough amperage to get good signals too the CNC. Hence you loose control and bad things happen.
I am half tempted to see if someone makes a parallel port add on card, and build a new bare bones system. Thinking hard about it, that is for sure.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Tons of those exist Craig, depending on the port and how many and of course PCI or PCI Express needs. Newegg.com - SYBA PCI to Parallel Port Controller Card Model SD-PCI-1P

The PSU is a no go, brand new in a box as one let go years back so we got 2 just in case, but it too lacks the 6 pin AUX connector. I'll see if I can score any RAM from the 2 old systems we have with the RD RAM, one was upgraded once.

Last edited by binaryterror; 10-26-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

I will look at PS's I have at home. Mostly older Dell units. They were given to me by a co-worker to convert into DC supplies at home.

Same deal, if I have one & it works, just shipping costs from NJ.

PS, shouldn't be an issue to "cut & splice" the existing connector to a newer PS. Just saying.

As to plug in boards, I have to guess that uses PCI, NOT PCIe. Went through that myself looking for graphics cards. Sigh.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #60
RCC Addict

Thank you Charlie. That would be sweet.
Yeah, she is an old school PCI bus. The 6-pin is used to provide power for that if I am not mistaken.
I know the mother board doens't do much with out it, because I have forgotten to plug one in before.
Yeah, if I can't find something by this weekend I am either going to build a new machine and get her running again, or I'll see if I can hack and tap a harness together so she will run on a new power supply.
Let me know if yo have any luck. Fingers crossed...

I love early morning FedEx deliveries.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
early morning wreckluse run ax10newguy Videos! 0 07-31-2011 04:54 AM
early morning Finnigan182 Electronics 2 04-10-2011 09:23 PM
fedex ground punkfan Chit Chat 9 02-26-2011 05:42 AM
South Mtn sat early morning CRAWLER-DAD Arizona 22 09-04-2010 10:17 AM
ORCRC Early morning shakedown... 56K WARNING!!! toyofast Oregon 17 09-26-2004 09:08 AM