Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Which 3d printer and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Which 3d printer and why?

Thanks in advance for any info, I'm looking for some input on getting a 3d printer, looks like you can print in pla abs or nylon? I'm wondering what systems people are using, what materials are recommended for strength and why? Looking to purchase up to about 3500$ or so, again, any info or advice is greatly appreciated.
Liv3mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: Which 3d printer and why?

With that kind of budget, I'd get a Makerbot.

MakerBot | 3D Printers | 3D Printing
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Which 3d printer and why?

Those look legit. I was doing some research into materials last night, taulman nylon has a tested strength of 4600psi, that's seeming serious, I guess a lot of people are trying to develop delrin filament too. Are these at the top of the line for home /small office printers?

Last edited by Liv3mind; 04-17-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv3mind View Post
Those look legit. I was doing some research into materials last night, taulman nylon has a tested strength of 4600psi, that's seeming serious, I guess a lot of people are trying to develop delrin filament too. Are these at the top of the line for home /small office printers?
They were recently purchased by Stratasys who makes high end printers. We have a Stratasys at work, but it's way out of the price range for home use. We were recently looking at getting a Makerbot because our Stratasys is always busy.

Pick up a copy of Make Magazine's 3D printer guide, or read some more here:

MAKE’s 3D Printer Testing Results | MAKE
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Am taking a trip to airwolf3d on Monday to check out their printers/factory floor and possibly make a purchase. To me they look like the best all around printer for different materials, they are also semi local to me, so their parts are easily accessible. They also offer training in house for customers. Have you heard anything about them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
They were recently purchased by Stratasys who makes high end printers. We have a Stratasys at work, but it's way out of the price range for home use. We were recently looking at getting a Makerbot because our Stratasys is always busy.

Pick up a copy of Make Magazine's 3D printer guide, or read some more here:

MAKE’s 3D Printer Testing Results | MAKE

This is a great source of info, lots of info on lots of models

'

Last edited by THX_138; 04-25-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:33 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I second what CHUD said about the Make magazine 3D printer article. I picked one up on a whim at Radio Shack and they did a good job of testing. For someone in your price range I would consider the dual head printer even if you only use one head for the moment... gives great flexibility down the road. That said if you want a really basic bare bones printer to get started the PrinrBot.com (smallest one!) does a good job for its size its just a very very bare bones machine designed more for hackers and budget conscious people.

I myself have debated a Makerbot but at this point I haven't had the budget to get one but it seems very intuitive to make and you can check them out at some Microsoft stores which is pretty handy if you asked me (I think a few have been donated to local libraries too). Just know that no matter what you get there will be a little learning curve but the documentation for machines seems pretty good so any issues you encounter should be a pretty easy fix
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

After being spoiled with the higher end stuff-1200ES, 400MC, Titan, Projet 3000, etc, we bought a MakerBot for a special project. We have been surprised that it is a better machine than we anticipated. My guys have lots of 3D printing experience and that helped with figuring out the little idiosyncrasies.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

http://3d-printers.toptenreviews.com

The airwolf I'm looking at was rated #4 here, and rated highly everywhere else I have looked, the makerbot is definitely on my list next, I like the build area on the airwolf, and for the mb with dual extruders its a bit smaller, I'm trying to expand my current business in another direction, and if it works a second machine will be on order, at which time I will get a multiple extruder setup in the size I want, has anyone ever seen or used an airwolf? I have an appointment with them Tuesday and will post any info (pics if I can) on my findings. I have read about people having great success with the makerbots, but just as many horror stories, the other nice thing about the airwolf is it's designed to print 8+ different materials. I wish I could fly to manhattan to see the mb store, the Microsoft store in my area doesn't have them.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I've got the makerbot, and use the Taulman 618 nylon for my nylon parts. Nylon is tricky to work with, and tempermental. (That's why my printer is down... waiting on parts)

For the price, I couldn't find a better printer. I ended up scoring on a "used" printer (it was never taken out of the box, but since it was opened the seller listed it as used, and I got it for half the budget you listed.)

You definitely want a heated print bed (some of the newer Makerbots don't have that, limiting you to PLA only) and I recommend the dual head models. I rarely print with dual extrusion, but it's nice to be able to have one material loaded in each side to be able to switch between them.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Had a interesting morning at airwolf 3d, and I have officially taken steps to receive one of their new machines that is hitting production soon, dual extruder (upgrade able to 3) heats up to 320*, heated glass print bed, and the coolest feature; prints 16+materials including polycarbonate, print bed is 12x8x12. I'm also purchasing a 3d scanner, they are about 6-8 weeks out for production, so don't expect to see it for a bit, but it's coming.

Last edited by Liv3mind; 04-22-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

The Orion Delta look really nice and has one of the larger bases
and tallest working ability.

http://www.3ders.org/images/seemecnc...-printer-2.jpg

edit: oop too late..

Last edited by 4.3 Zook; 04-24-2014 at 09:32 PM.
4.3 Zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

That's the one I'm getting. Decent build size 12x8x12 ^^^^^^

Last edited by THX_138; 04-25-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #13
R.I.P. Chip

Get it yet?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

X2!

I would like to see how well it works for you and the learning curve to get started.
Brackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #15

Look into the MakerFarms i3V if you are willing to take the time to build it, and then learn a little about the workings. I have one and I love it.
Tachout is offline   Reply With Quote

Which 3d printer and why? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C*H*U*D's 3D Printer C*H*U*D Tools, and Procedures 78 09-18-2014 11:12 AM
3D Printer JeremyH Chit Chat 8 09-03-2014 12:04 PM
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM