Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Ready for my next step.. How to go about getting a bid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Ready for my next step.. How to go about getting a bid?

I've been using the 3d design software for a year now, I feel like I'm getting decent quality results with it. I've done 3D printing from my 3D models with great results, now I'm ready to move on to having a part CNC machined with a 3D model that I've produced.

For you guys that have alreay been here, what is the next step to getting a machine shop to bid on a file to be produced? I know that most places want a .stp file of the model, which is no problem. I just don't know how to approach a prospective shop with the files that I have. Any advice or recommendations on a shop to give an estimate to produce a part?

Last edited by BigSki; 06-25-2014 at 09:21 AM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: Ready for my next step.. How to go about getting a bid?

I would deal locally if you can. There's a big difference when you can walk into a shop and actually talk to the person face to face. Ask them what they need from you as far as the file type (more likely they will want .igs), drawings and tolerances. Ask them where the quantity break starts and what kind of lead times you need. The more flexible you are, the better your quote.

If those things aren't too important, you can find places online (still no RFQ section here though).
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

There are only a small percentage of shops that will do that "shopper" or "jobber" type of work. I would find those shops first. The few that I know are less that 10 in employees. Something about osha can come in your shop if you have more that 10 blah blah.

Anyway, like I said, you need to evaluate and find out who might take that type of job to begin with. Make some calls if necessary. Don't waste any more time than necessary.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

What type of part/machining? We might have better luck suggesting someone if we knew what kind of part we were talking about.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
What type of part/machining? We might have better luck suggesting someone if we knew what kind of part we were talking about.
It's a 2.2 bead lock wheel.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
An RFQ section here would be great...Ahem, mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
It's a 2.2 bead lock wheel.
This works in your favor since your quantity is immediately multiplied by 4.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post

Would be cool, but I could see it being overrun by window shoppers and day dreamers.

The best system is the current system IMO...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Operating a machine shop I can agree that CHUD has the most accurate info to your needs, the more local the better as you can work closer with them than through email etc. just don't be over bearing or pester them as this only annoys most. The one thing I'd add is to have a NDA agreement written up if you have any concern that they may try to market them after your job is complete this will stop that and give you a foot to stand on if you need to go back at them.

As for shop choice honestly most shops are considered "job" shops unless they are a manufacturer specific to one line or product, I'd recommend asking what machines/services and cad software they use, or check online for them if they don't have a page listing their equipment ask......... Most decent shops will give you a walk through of their facility they will also have samples of their work available for viewing, just be sure to know the shops limits especially if you plan on doing multiple jobs and becoming a base customer.

As for file types .stp files are most common and recommended ( better formatting ) followed closely by .igs basically the same just inferior quality and not as many supporting cad programs. Second would be an actual engineering print with callouts for any necessary and critical dimension. Be sure to include your min/max tolerances and any specific tolerances for the critical areas, also include edge finishing ( chamfer, break or hand de-burr etc. ) and material type. I can't recommend this enough but be sure to label all of your prints so if you modify them you can show the revision and always always be sure the shop has the correct most current one before they run the part. There's nothing like the call half way through with the question

" um did our guy send over the revised print, he was supposed to but um I don't know if he did."

If all else fails and you can't find a local shop IMO the best place for prototyping services that I know does quality work is the technology house ( www.tth.com ) their based out of Cleveland OH Area but they have tons of high quality machines and machinists......

-Dan

Last edited by sickcivic95; 06-27-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:20 AM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Would be cool, but I could see it being overrun by window shoppers and day dreamers.

The best system is the current system IMO...
Damn logic
Old 06-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

As said above but just to re-enforce...

Good prints with realistic tolerances is a must when making initial contact. Otherwise you will fall into the dreamer/pain-in-the-ass category pretty quickly.
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Proverbial threadkiller

To the other end of it, though, don't beat yourself up too much if your first few tries ain't exactly right. You really should expect that corrections/clarifications will need to be made. This is where dealing with a local shop (that you can explain your drawings to), and labeling revision levels (frickin' outstanding suggestion!), can help you out a ton.

I deal with prints day in and day out. Also had Mechanical Drawing (drafting) back in high school. Even the drawings I laughably pass off as "prints" leave much to be desired. (as evidenced HERE) The drawings I provided to Duuuuuuuude for my wheels were really nothing short of an embarrassment. Luckily, I was dealing with someone far more competent than myself, and he nailed 'em.

Just do your drawings as best you know how, have reasonable expectations, be willing to explain yourself, and be flexible to someone doing it their own way, if possible. I've made the mistake of not being flexible enough, and will probably wind up paying for it. Patience is your best friend. Good luck.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
What is a 'RFQ' ??

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I have a manual machining background and I've currently completed the first year of a CAD 3D Modeling degree, I'm getting decent at the student version of programs that I have on my workstation. (basically the same full licensed copies that industry uses, just every part/assembly drawing has a water mark on it when it gets printed)

I've done the 'proper' thing by prototyping a printed model of the wheel, so now I'm exploring taking it to the next level to see if any shop could produce them at a cost that would make it feasible to buy a little blue star and try to sell some wheels. If I could pull it off and just make enough to cover expenses I'd consider that to be a success.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #13
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
What is a 'RFQ' ??
Request for Quote.

Damn noobs

Old 06-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Good prints seem to be getting harder and harder to come by anymore. There's so many programs that can be used by pretty much anyone with basic math skills to make a "drawing" and most of those people don't have the background to know what will actually work and what it actually takes to make a part it's insane.

I love the rfq's that start with I have a model and a General idea of what I need can you guys quote this, then the cad model is sent over, without a print , and it looks like more like an Egyptian hieroglyph than a cad model..

Anyway as stated before, be ready to work with the shop and not against them, there's not necessarily one right way to make a part and every machinist has a particular way of doing things so expect some feedback or corrections or changes that may need to be performed prior to actually running the parts.

-Dan

Last edited by sickcivic95; 06-28-2014 at 07:51 PM.
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #15
RCC Addict

The shop I work for only takes parts in electronic CAD files. It makes everyone's life so much easier since if there was an issue on the file there was an issue on the file!

Few side notes is for holes say a bearing or a pin needs to go into please specify the type of fit you want and/or tolerances on it. I had a friend send me a part where an 8MM diameter part had to fit in and he drew the holes to 8MM... well no shock the 8MM part didn't fit in Thankfully I caught it and knew what he had in mind but unless the shop knows what your after (and will contact you to double check) don't assume they know what you had in mind or you may end up with a great part to spec but nothing fits how you intended it to

Other than that be realistic. Just because you can do it in CAD doesn't mean you can do it in real life!
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Ready for my next step.. How to go about getting a bid? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire Chains 101!!!! step by step. Picture Heavy!! foratm Tools, and Procedures 18 12-05-2012 03:02 PM
Making the green go away - step by step de-anodizing an AX10 for beginners. O.C.D. Axial AX-10 Scorpion 54 03-07-2010 10:15 PM
Easy step by step install of Scorpion tires/wheels. O.C.D. Axial AX-10 Scorpion 22 05-09-2008 04:38 PM