Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Lucas Red N Tacky?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Lucas Red N Tacky?

A lot of people on this forum seem to recommend Lucas Red N Tacky grease for metal gears. I almost picked up a tube today but I popped off the cap and it really smells bad! (Like toxic lol). Do people only use it because it's cheaper than "RC" grease? Or it really actually better? I will be getting a Gelande 2 and want to re-grease the gears since apparently they are pretty dry stock. I have a bunch of RC grease tubes already that came with other kits (Losi, Tamiya, Axial) is there really any difference? Should I get the red N Tacky anyways? I want to protect my gears as well as possible since they're not exactly cheap..
norco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Lucas Red N Tacky?

I started this hobby using Red and Tacky as reccomended and then went to the Lucas heavy duty GREEN grease. The problem I have with it is it would fling off and when I would service gears they would be almost dry.I don't run in water or mud only dirt. Then I tried this
TKO Eureka Pro Gear Lube [TKO-EL-1] | Maintenance - AMain Performance Hobbies - AMain Performance Hobbies
Now every time I service gears there is always a thin film of grease on the gears just enough unlike the Lucas where they looked dry. With the Lucas even using too much it would just build up in the diff housings around the gears when I would go to service them. With the EUREKA it just takes a light even coat and it works great.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I am not sure if it is better then rc grease, but I use it and so far it has held up great. I can also use it for my 1:1 Jeep, tractor, trailer, etc. and still have 3/4 of a container left over.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I use RNT in my Trans and Black N Tacky http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools...-stock***.html in my axles. You haven;t smelled bad until you smell BNT. I don't comp or drive hard like a rental but i am a freak for maintenance. Every 3 trips i change lube and Zero i mean Zero signs of wear using either one.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I use blue Marine grease, like what you get at your local pool supply house. I use it in my axles and trans and haven't had any problems. Costs 3.99 a tube, or 1oz jar.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #6
Got Worms?

I love the smell of lucas red-n-tacky...it kinda has sweet taste to it too. If it is toxic, I haven't got sick yet.

I've never had an issue with it. Although, I switched all my 1:1 stuff to the Lucas Green grease about a year ago for no good particular reason besides it was on sale. It doesn't have a smell as rich as the red-n-tacky and it's a lot more neutral tasting.

I've used some of the more expensive grease (I think it was rocksmith?). It did seem to stick to the gears better. But I tore my losi axles apart every 6-10 hours of run time. I switched back to the red-n-tacky because it was easier to get the dirty grease out of my axles. Also because I noticed it was causing the plastic to like melt kinda.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I've been using red and tacky since I got in the hobby. I never noticed the grease being completely off the gears, but yes a lot of it gets thrown off the gears. Never had issues because of it or premature wear. I service my vvds every other battery pack and diffs/trans every 5-10 packs and they all still work like new.
benster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:22 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys, but what I really want to know is do people like it because it's better than the RC grease or just cheaper and just as good? If I already have a couple tubes of Axial grease should I STILL go buy the Red & Tacky because it will protect/lubricate better?
Old 11-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Red N Tacky is made to withstand high heat and abuse in 1:1 cars by a manufacturer that has specialized in lubrication for 25 years, Axial grease is some generic stuff from who knows where that is cheap enough to include in the kits. Which would you rather trust protecting your gears?
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Well my thought was that since Axial obviously doesn't manufacture their stuff, that they would pick the best product to repackage for this specific use. Anyways I guess I'll just pick up the R&T and give it a go.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Losi Smart Diff grease, everything else is inferior!
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I started out using the Lucas red and tacky, but it is NOT water resistant. After the TTC at ecsc, I had diffs full of milky white grease.
While at the ecsc chad30w let me barrow some green lucas X-TRA heavy duty (ebay 16oz. Tub for less than 20bucks) enough to last the rest of my life. After a hard month of driven in a roc powered wraith I still had a good layer on the gears and no rustys. I use it on all metal on metal moving parts now.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #13
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post
green lucas X-TRA heavy duty (ebay 16oz. Tub for less than 20bucks)
Or your neighborhood parts store for $6
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:29 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I just use some 1:1 wheel bearing grease and pack the diffs/trans with it. Never had an issue.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:08 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

this is something you will get a different response from almost every person with.

Harly on youtube (boss man on this forum and rc crawler guru) says very often he uses regular automotive grease and if its good enough for him its good enough for me.

Not to mention i can spend under 10 dollars and have enough to last me a lifetime for an rc car.
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I typically used the grease that came in the kits. The other day while working on my deadbolt, I decided to try Engine Assembly Lube. It was stated as a grease, has moly and graphite in it, states that it will adhere to metal surfaces and it was accessible at the time. I have since opened up the tranny and axles to find a thin layer of grease still on the gears. I have liked it enough to use it when I built my new Yeti kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL333.../dp/B000CPAWP6
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #17
~THE SCALE SHOP~

been using red and tacky #2 on my RCs for nearly a decade.
I always get a kick out of these fly by night RC lubes that people buy into. thinking some guy in his garage mixing shelf made products can make a better lube than a company that's been around for decades specializing in lubes WAY more critical than RC.

I think ive still got like 85% full left in the tube. it will last you a lifetime for RC.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I use red 'n' tacky on my ascender. I packed the axle housings full of the stuff until it was oozing out of the lockout screw holes. I used it because my family's construction company uses it for all the heavy equipment...so, ya it was cheap for me, I just yelled over the impact wrenches, "hey I need this" and walked out of the shop.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I've been using it in my Losi Worm Axles, been fine for years.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Another vote for Red "n" Tacky #2. Use it, it's good stuff.
Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lucas Red N Tacky? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My name is Lucas and I'm am addict Sclfava Newbie General 5 09-26-2013 09:08 AM
*** Wheelworks Black-n-Tacky giveaway*** Reflection General Crawlers 122 02-02-2013 09:24 AM
Wheelworks Black-N-Tacky Gear Lube***IN STOCK*** chicklet Tools and supplies 4 07-19-2012 11:45 AM
***Wheelworks Black-n-Tacky gear oil*** Reflection General Crawlers 5 05-28-2012 12:43 PM