Notices

Thread: Hex bits and drivers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #41
Custom Carbon Fiber

Default Re: Hex bits and drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
Yeah but I don't have that kind of coin to just throw around.
I hear ya on that, so worth the money but def overkill on the dollars.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #42
I joined the Band!

Just going to reiterate what's already been said. MIP Thorp drivers are effing amazing. One really has to use something like the budget dynamite set that slides into the cheap ass handle or some harbor freight before really having a true appreciation for the MIP drivers. I can't tell you how many mod1 pinion grub screws I stripped trying to either get it in, or out. Even better is when it wasn't tight enough (trying not to strip the hex) and it just rolls down the damn street, in the dark (goodbye 10 novak hardened gear). Recently went through an Alza Brushless Savage XL and replaced all the screws with hex screws before I had my MIP drivers, some of which I couldn't get out to work on the front and rear bulkheads. MIP drivers arrive and BAM, just like that screws come in and out with ease.

Like most of you, I had no problem spending thousands on cars, bodies, electronics, etc....but cheaped out on the tools. Never again. Buy once cry once is my philosophy now.

Just my $0.02
omgbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #43

i use the integy drivers, had them for a few years and they've been pretty solid. plus i love the fact that they are color coded. i probably need to pick up some new tips for them here soon though.
Wrapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:09 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrapter View Post
i use the integy drivers, had them for a few years and they've been pretty solid. plus i love the fact that they are color coded. i probably need to pick up some new tips for them here soon though.
Does Integy sell replacement tips?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #45
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Does Integy sell replacement tips?
They do.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #46

On the MIP hex drivers ..... Is there a warranty. Or are they just good enough to last? Harbor Freight bits have stripped me out for the last time. I even tried a good name brand 25$ set from the local tool supply. Lasted for a few months then the tips began to wear.... So I cut some off to get a fresh tip. Negative on doing that.
YDAZOPEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:39 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDAZOPEN View Post
On the MIP hex drivers ..... Is there a warranty. Or are they just good enough to last? Harbor Freight bits have stripped me out for the last time. I even tried a good name brand 25$ set from the local tool supply. Lasted for a few months then the tips began to wear.... So I cut some off to get a fresh tip. Negative on doing that.
MIP does have a warranty, but I've never had to use it. Their tips haven't worn at all. MIP and HF tools can't be compared. MIP tools are hardened and will not wear out like HF tools.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

The tip probably was lightly heat treated. Mip is king! Or the Dynamite set with the carbon fiber handles but they still aren't mip!

149 r/c worx team driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:34 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
The tip probably was lightly heat treated. Mip is king! Or the Dynamite set with the carbon fiber handles but they still aren't mip!

149 r/c worx team driver
Dynamite has carbon fiber drivers? I've never seen those. Got a link?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

I was wrong,my friend has a set and from a distance they look cf but there knurled silver and black machined handles they are good drivers tho, but simular price to mip so to me no Brainer mip

149 r/c worx team driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Ok I am now a month in with the MIP drivers and working on 4 trucks. These drivers are AWESOME and the best hands down. Got used to the plastic handles and I just love how secure the driver tip fits the screw heads.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #52
RCC Addict

I keep a nice set that I keep in my travel gear... But far as the shop goes... I take hex wrenches and cut them down ... One long set for the drill or bit driver handle 1.5 2.0 2.5 3.0 and a miniature set for tight spaces... when ever the end gets rounded over ; hit it with the grinder and it's brand new again... I think I'll get about 20-25 resurfacings out of one bit...
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

I'm a little late to this conversation and this is a bit long-winded but maybe this thought process will help some others. Up to the point of writing this post I hadn't actually made a final decision on my everyday drivers.

I've been through a lot of drivers because I am (or was) too cheap and short-sighted to buy the best up front. At first I just used the Craftsman precision drivers I've owned for years. They were OK but too small and hard to identify. The first set I bought for R/C was Wiha and they were good at first but quickly went downhill. Then I got a set of Associated Factory Team and they lasted longer but the 2mm started to wear after about 4-5 months. I really like the lightweight, colored handles so I got one HUDY tip and one LURC Colbalt tip to put in the Associated handles for comparison. I also got a MIP bit for my power driver. All three tips fit about the same and seem to be of comparable quality (release the hounds).

I'd like to go with MIPs given their reputation here but the handles kill the deal for me. I misplace tools all the time or throw them all into my field box so it really helps to have the full colored handles. I'll probably just keep a couple for my power driver.

I also like LURC since they support RCC and make other great stuff but they only have a limited selection of metric tips at this time. They'll probably add more down the road but that was no help when I needed a needed a replacement 1/16" tip (the Associated one snapped).

So I guess that means I've made my decision. Going forward, I'll be using HUDY tips in my Associated handles for everyday use. HUDY has a great selection of sizes and lengths plus a ton of other tools and accessories. It wasn't until I wrote this that I realized just how much stuff they have.

For hex bits I have always used Chapman, these in particular for R/C: Chapman Manufacturing 27-Piece Deluxe Screwdriver Set with Metric Hex Bits. They're good for tight spots, to take on the trail, and bits are only a buck or two each. The tolerances don't quite compare to MIP or HUDY but a full 24-bit driver set that will fit in a large pocket definitely has a place in my toolkit.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

RD LOgics or Hudy.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
I'm a little late to this conversation and this is a bit long-winded but maybe this thought process will help some others. Up to the point of writing this post I hadn't actually made a final decision on my everyday drivers.

I've been through a lot of drivers because I am (or was) too cheap and short-sighted to buy the best up front. At first I just used the Craftsman precision drivers I've owned for years. They were OK but too small and hard to identify. The first set I bought for R/C was Wiha and they were good at first but quickly went downhill. Then I got a set of Associated Factory Team and they lasted longer but the 2mm started to wear after about 4-5 months. I really like the lightweight, colored handles so I got one HUDY tip and one LURC Colbalt tip to put in the Associated handles for comparison. I also got a MIP bit for my power driver. All three tips fit about the same and seem to be of comparable quality (release the hounds).

I'd like to go with MIPs given their reputation here but the handles kill the deal for me. I misplace tools all the time or throw them all into my field box so it really helps to have the full colored handles. I'll probably just keep a couple for my power driver.

I also like LURC since they support RCC and make other great stuff but they only have a limited selection of metric tips at this time. They'll probably add more down the road but that was no help when I needed a needed a replacement 1/16" tip (the Associated one snapped).

So I guess that means I've made my decision. Going forward, I'll be using HUDY tips in my Associated handles for everyday use. HUDY has a great selection of sizes and lengths plus a ton of other tools and accessories. It wasn't until I wrote this that I realized just how much stuff they have.

For hex bits I have always used Chapman, these in particular for R/C: Chapman Manufacturing 27-Piece Deluxe Screwdriver Set with Metric Hex Bits. They're good for tight spots, to take on the trail, and bits are only a buck or two each. The tolerances don't quite compare to MIP or HUDY but a full 24-bit driver set that will fit in a large pocket definitely has a place in my toolkit.
MIP surely isn't the only good driver. And I agree that their handles are outdated. But they now at least include color coded labels.

How much are the Hudy tips?

And is that Chapman set hardened steel?
Old 05-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
MIP surely isn't the only good driver. And I agree that their handles are outdated. But they now at least include color coded labels.

How much are the Hudy tips?

And is that Chapman set hardened steel?
The HUDY tips are about $10 each and the Chapman tips are indeed hardened. One thing to note about the Chapmans though - by design, the tips will snap or twist if over-torqued.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #57
Got Worms?

I have a complete set of Team EDS drivers. Metric, Standard, Ball Tip, Phillips, Flat Head, and a Nut Driver.

A very large investment but it has been well worth the money. I've never broken a tip, none of the tips have excessive wear, and they fit good in snug in bolts that haven't been wallowed out.

Team-EDS RC Tools for Cars, Trucks, Boats & Helis
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I have a complete set of Team EDS drivers. Metric, Standard, Ball Tip, Phillips, Flat Head, and a Nut Driver.

A very large investment but it has been well worth the money. I've never broken a tip, none of the tips have excessive wear, and they fit good in snug in bolts that haven't been wallowed out.

The EDS nut drivers look like they have very thin tips which is great for getting into places where nuts are recessed into tight spots. I may have to buy a set.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Can anyone recommend a handle for the MIP Speed Tips that also provides a place to carry them? Something like the team associated handle, I think the speed bits are too long to fit in that specific handle, so something that will fit would be nice.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:32 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post

+1

Been using these guys for years now.
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote

Hex bits and drivers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
metric hex drivers bits oscodawave Tools, and Procedures 7 10-30-2010 10:13 AM
Hex Bits? Fattymojo Tools, and Procedures 4 06-26-2010 06:24 AM