Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Advice on bending aluminum linkage...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2018, 10:50 PM   #1

Default Advice on bending aluminum linkage...

For a mod I am doing I want to bend a straight aluminum 4-inch steering linkage such that there is a small indentation in the middle of the link so it avoids hitting the differntial/donut when in full-turn. If I am able to make subtle bends in it I can make it the exact length and shape that I need.

My question is what is the best way to bend this linkage and is it possible without it creasing or kinking? It is a steering linkage out of an old Redcat Everest 10.

Any advice on the best way to do this would be appreciated. My goal here is to modify a linkage I already have and not drop any more cash on a new linkage or tools.
pb1592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2018, 12:24 AM   #2
Suck it up!

Default Re: Advice on bending aluminum linkage...

Bending it will change it's effective length, so keep that in mind.

Considering what you're working with, it's solid most of the way through, so it won't kink or crease. But it'll probably break. Most rtr aluminum parts are garbage aluminum with a pretty anodized coating. They don't like being bent.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:02 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I've done exactly what you're wanting to do using an automotive brakeline bender. You'll be better off with 2 smaller bends since the center of the tierod is not what touches the diff. Turn until the tie rod hits, put a mark on that part of the tierod, then turn the other way and repeat. I put my bends just outside of those marks and only needed to make small (2-3°?) bends to clear. I don't know what tools you have on hand, but there are plenty more crude methods that will still accomplish what you need.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I use 1/4" solid aluminum bar for my links and have put a 45 degree bend in some by heating the bend area with a propane soldering torch. Be careful not to get too close to the melting point or you'll be starting again. A little practice with some scrap pieces helps get an idea of how much heat to apply. Information I found said this would be the weak area after heating but I have had no issues so far and that was about a year ago.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bend, linkage, mod

Advice on bending aluminum linkage... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum 6061-T6 vs. Bending drzoo2 Tools, and Procedures 4 05-04-2015 07:25 AM
bending titanium links: any advice? jebster Tools, and Procedures 5 09-19-2013 02:56 PM
bending aluminum wslytoy Tools, and Procedures 15 07-31-2005 07:18 PM
Bending aluminum arrows JohnRobHolmes Tools, and Procedures 7 05-04-2005 12:32 PM
Need help bending aluminum schlabinski General Crawlers 8 09-14-2004 01:02 PM