Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: MIP or VP?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2022, 08:26 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: MIP or VP?

Cheap drivers give cheap results.

Are there really people struggling to save $20 when building up their rigs that will inevitably cost hundreds upon hundreds of dollars?

I don't like spending $100+ on blades for my saws, but I do it just the same. Because I hate ruining wood more than I hate spending the money.

A quality set of drivers will last years or decades. Hold that up against my sanding disc budget. I go through a couple of boxes a year, at $20-25 a box.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2022, 11:50 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

The thread is clearly asking between two brands...not a question on what people use. There is already a thread for that here as well...
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:48 PM   #23

I'm the lead Tech in a very busy Hobby service center, MIP IMO is the only way to go. I have snapped so many bits off on the other brands.

The other thing is that the quality of the MIP shows when talking out a chinesium fastener, the chances of stripping the head are a lot less.

If one is breaking off MIP bits you may need to add some heat to the fastener/around the fastener, to relax the material and breakdown any thread lock or rust.
inhissteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 12:23 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

MIP are nice, but Hudy offer a better feel as they use a spring tool steel.

https://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/...e0d31cc366eadd
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 12:55 PM   #25
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
The thread is clearly asking between two brands...not a question on what people use. There is already a thread for that here as well...
True but we gotta throw the two cents in. Lol. Luv my Mugen Seiki Hex drivers!
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 02:48 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

VP here... both with the handles and with the 1/4 adapters. Best I've ever used.
OutLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:48 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
MIP all the way. If you're not crazy about the MIP handles, or the fact that the tips aren't replaceable, buy the MIP 1/4" driver inserts and a 1/4" driver handle of your choice. Best of all worlds.

Though I can't imagine the MIPs wearing out in any reasonable amount of time-- mine are still so tight in fasteners that it's often frustrating.

This is what I have with a 1/4" drive handle and they also fit in my M12 Milwaukee driver so I can use them manually or powered. The only time I have broken one is when I knocked my Milwaukee driver off the desk and it hit the floor on the driver. The tool steel shattered. MIP sent me a replacement 2mm tip at no charge.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:12 PM   #28

I believe I'm with the majority of people here that have only used one of those brands. That's the benefit of buying high quality tools, you only need to buy one set.

I've used some cheap drivers that rounded out the inside of the screws, got a set of MIP drivers and I was able to loosen those same screws. I won't say anything bad about VP drivers, because I've never used them, but MIP's saved me from headaches of stripped screws many times. I know MIP isn't the only brand that makes high quality drivers, and I have used another brand with the spinning cap at the end of the handle. That was nice, but far from a must have in my opinion.
Bertman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:14 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertman82 View Post
I believe I'm with the majority of people here that have only used one of those brands. That's the benefit of buying high quality tools, you only need to buy one set.

I've used some cheap drivers that rounded out the inside of the screws, got a set of MIP drivers and I was able to loosen those same screws. I won't say anything bad about VP drivers, because I've never used them, but MIP's saved me from headaches of stripped screws many times. I know MIP isn't the only brand that makes high quality drivers, and I have used another brand with the spinning cap at the end of the handle. That was nice, but far from a must have in my opinion.

I’m in the same boat, only with vp. Same thing though, my vp drivers have tremendous bite, and I’ve removed some pretty rounded screws with them.

I wouldn’t mind trying some mip drivers… for science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 02:07 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I've been using the MIPs in my to go tool bag as handles are nice a small and fit in the bag nicely, but HUDY stay on the workbench. The feel is unmatched and using the MIP feels barbaric in some sense. Haha. MIP is a good tool no doubt and like they color code the different sizes. MIP is like a good craftsmen or dewalt screwdriver and Hudy is the Witte or maybe Wera or PB Swiss

HUDY profiTOOLS are based on highly-successful HUDY Professional Tools used by RC factory teams and world champions. Each tool has a special, CAD-designed tip made of world-renowned HUDY Spring Steel™ to very precisely fit the corresponding fastener, allowing unmatched torque and long life. New lightweight, comfortable molded hollow handles with machined hubs are designed to allow easy tip exchange.

Last edited by MAGNUMB; 03-07-2023 at 02:19 PM.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:14 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Okay, so here's the deal.... You're gonna need a few.

VP and MIP are both top notch, as far as quality. VP has the vital swivel end on the handle, so MIP is out. BUT!... MIP has a ball end version of their hex drivers, which is incredibly handy.

The VP drivers are in the lead, but they're annoyingly long. I use swivel end Wera (amazon) drivers the majority of the time... much better length, and more comfortable to use overall. If you think a screw head might possibly strip, switch back to VP.

VP (or presumably MIP) driver tips for your electric driver are also necessary. Reefs tips are garbage.
Attached Images

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:55 AM   #32
RCC Addict

MIPs have been very good to me, but I'm really not fond of the handle or the stickers they use to denote the size. The stickers wear out or fall off. There are times I wish the shaft was longer (lol) too.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:47 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUMB View Post
MIP are nice, but Hudy offer a better feel as they use a spring tool steel.

https://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/...e0d31cc366eadd
The steel on the MIPs is very durable, but doesn't offer any sort of flex. And the plastic handles where the shiz 10 years ago, the Hudy's have better handles and just enough flex to give you some feedback.
dusty husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 08:12 AM   #34
RCC Addict

I prefer MIPs

ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:51 AM   #35

After investing in my MIP tools and using them Im sold on them. Wish I would have made the investment sooner.
RecklessTrent91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:20 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I just purchased the VP drivers after going round and round with other drivers. After using a buddy’s set, the handle is the difference maker for me. Especially when building a kit or doing a lot of screws in one sitting. They don’t rub your palms raw with that smooth spinning bearing cap. And the VP tips really hold up nicely and stay sharp with LOTS of use from what I have seen with my buddy’s set.

Also can’t say I’ve ever broken any 1.5, 2, or 2.5mm driver. A 1.5 screw head will strip before the driver will ever break IMO, at least in my experience, even with a deep hex hole like on a long grub screw.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:07 AM   #37
Sinking with the ship

I gotta go MIP. Id also recommend the Dynamite ones as well as they are my OG set ive had for over 20 years and ive never broken one. They are older red knurled handled ones that were advertised for working on nitro cars.

I recently bought the vanquish driver set and shattered the m3 nut one instantly working on a Bruiser.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 04:23 PM   #38
RCC Addict

I finally bought a set of MIP bits for my dewalt driver, and I see why they are so highly regarded. Nice machined tips with good bite. So far I would say they are as good as my vp drivers, and vice versa. Time will tell if one is better than the other.

I will be using them primarily instead of my vp bits mostly because of the shorter length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 05:08 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Mip!

I've had a yellow handle set for awhile, bought a set of metric driver tips couple months ago, both very nice quality, fit and finish.

Last edited by Natedog; 04-13-2023 at 05:14 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 09:41 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I will be using them primarily instead of my vp bits mostly because of the shorter length.
Right!? I don't get why they're so stupid long.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote

MIP or VP? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which MIP stub axle will fit MIP AX10 center driveline cups ?? sweli General Crawlers 2 11-08-2011 06:59 PM