Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Composite Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #61
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Wow...I wish I was confident enough to try forming up CF like that...I have many ideas in my head.

So......how much?
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

MY hats off to you for a supper build.

I'm loving that chassis/body. It's just to sick.

I also like how you set up the POD to slide in and out.

I'd call it leagal... But won't go there, it stung a little last time
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

THat thing is badass! You did a great job very quickly, more pics please!
blue-beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Completly awsome, for a minute I wasn't sure were you were going with that but now I see. Very cool, I hope the rules can change to allow that to run in a comp, I certanly would like to see it. I have a question, how slick is the finish on the cf, is it going to slide through the rocks or is it coarse??
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:09 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

That is pretty damn cool. Can't wait for some action shots/reports. Keep up the good builds.

Question though, did you clamp foam plug into the fiberglass mold once you set the CF and epoxy in, or did you just press it down with the brush as you layered everything? I've been interested in doing something with either CF or another fiber, maybe that aluminized weave from earlier in the thread, for awhile but had no idea where to start.
gone_wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Completly awsome, for a minute I wasn't sure were you were going with that but now I see. Very cool, I hope the rules can change to allow that to run in a comp, I certanly would like to see it. I have a question, how slick is the finish on the cf, is it going to slide through the rocks or is it coarse??
The finish is smooth and should slide on the rocks.....but that means I am upside down. The skid plate is delron hopefully that is the part sliding over the rocks.

Mike
Mike Poulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_wheelin View Post
That is pretty damn cool. Can't wait for some action shots/reports. Keep up the good builds.

Question though, did you clamp foam plug into the fiberglass mold once you set the CF and epoxy in, or did you just press it down with the brush as you layered everything? I've been interested in doing something with either CF or another fiber, maybe that aluminized weave from earlier in the thread, for awhile but had no idea where to start.
The plug was used to make the mold and then destroyed getting it out of the mold. The part was just hand laid using a brush to stick it in.

Mike
Old 04-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #68
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Poulson View Post
The plug was used to make the mold and then destroyed getting it out of the mold. The part was just hand laid using a brush to stick it in.

Mike
Good to know, thanks for the inspiration.
I see a few new projects coming from the RCC members now, including myself.
gone_wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the kind comments, it makes the projects more enjoyable to be able to share them with others.

MikeP
Old 04-24-2007, 12:40 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Your whole truck just reeks of innovation. I love every aspect of it. DONT let the stifling rules dictate how you want to build your truck. I look forward to every/any other builds you decide to do.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:41 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
In my opinion certainly looks more realistic than a stick.
I have to second that. That turned out to be a cool looking rig.

Mike, that is some truly innovative thinking. That's some straight-out-of-MIT stuff there.

I'm impressed with the transmission mount, how everything comes right out in one assembly. Looks like you could get to anything you need to maintain or repair in a matter of minutes. Fabulous.

Do you have an engineering background? Or are these skills you picked up on the job somewhere?
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Thanks,

No background here other that many years of building my own RC cars. I was building 2wd buggies before the RC10 was released.

Sometimes things are not as they appear, You only see on this forum what I choose to show. I have a pile of crazy stuff that didn't work out. it took me 6-7 months to get my first Associated based rig done. Now I can just duplicate and make small improvements. I see a lot of things where I was just lucky the way things worked out.

Mike
Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 AM   #73
RCC Addict

Thumbs up I LIKE this idea btw!!!

[Rant on]
All this B.S. about the rules committee, & the stifling of innovation is just nuts!
If people don't have a voice in the commitee... STFU!
If you do, & you trust them to deliver your clubs "ONE VOTE"... STFU!!!
If you don't trust them to do the job, then SPEAK UP to your club! Otherwise, STFU!!!
Point is!
The commitee is comprised of, one person from each (USRCCA recognized) club.
Your entire club has ONE voice!!! PERIOD!
The "majority" voted against having these type of chassis'...
This year...

All I can suggest to everyone is; You either step up & be the ONE voice your club get's... Or STFU!!!

Raptorman57 don't know it yet but he's probably going to be ETRC's voice next year.
That way there will be one less person saying how "it's all B.S."!
He'll understand how things work, & he WILL NOT be on here bashing the commitee's decision EVER again!
Because then he'll understand (He did his part to make everything fair/understood/etc...)
[/Rant off]

That is all!

Last edited by raytard; 04-25-2007 at 08:33 AM.
raytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #74

First, I am very impressed w/ your builds. The tuber and the composite are both unbelievable.

I am very interested in the way you made the axles, and using my poor eyesight it looks as though the strut you made of CF for the tuber axle is made of aluminum on this build. If so, which material do you like better?
Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Shooter,

They both perform equally. Personally I prefer the aluminum, just a little tired of all the carbon stuff.

Molded carbon was a good way for me to get several sets running with only a few hours each.

Aluminum is how a CNC production would work best. But it took me a week to machine at home.

4 rigs at the last comp with Associated based axles with no problems. Overall the narrow width was preferred.

MikeP
Old 05-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #76

Mike, you are a true innovator. Don't be discouraged by the nay-sayers, for me this creation is a lot more "real world" than any stick or torsion chassis.

I hope that enough people are encouraged to build something along the same lines and that the rules "evolve" to accept these kind of chassis.
QuarryCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #77
RCC Addict

nice build. i am very interested in seeing how the assciated based axles work. what car are they from, a TC3 or TC4?
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
nice build. i am very interested in seeing how the assciated based axles work. what car are they from, a TC3 or TC4?
The parts I use are the same on the TC3 and TC4 except for the steering knuckles. TC4 has 2 mounting holes for the steering links. I prefer the TC3 with 1 hole, just looks better.

Mike
Old 05-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

This is real cool build. You did something no one else has before. Rules are made to be broken and thrown in the trash!
RandyatBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:08 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

SCHWEET! Great build and not like anything I've seen before!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote