Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TRX4 remote control question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2021, 05:20 PM   #1

Default TRX4 remote control question

When I engage the lockers, the first axle to lock up is the front, then the 2nd is the rear. This is exactly the opposite of my current actual ZR2 & the way my 08' actual Power Wagon was.

I would like the rear to engage first & then the front. It makes turning MUCH easier & many times, I could get by with just the rear locker. Can it be as simple as taking the remote control apart & just switching those 2 wires ???

Thanks for the help.
2019RedZR2Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TRX4 remote control question

Forgive me because I never paid attention to the exact procedure but you can use the traxxas app to reverse the diff servos and you can also switch which channels the diff servos plug into to change the order of things. Between those two options I think you can end up with that order.

No need to modify the radio.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:37 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019RedZR2Diesel View Post
.....It makes turning MUCH easier....
Hmmm, not so sure of that. Maybe when on flat and level (which you'd have both diffs unlocked). Once you're climbing and your CG shifts dramatically to the rear axle which is now locked, the front axle being open, and now very light (and possibly one wheel in the air from torque twist), I don't see this making it easier to turn.

That said, if you want it that way, I'd call Traxxas support and see if they can walk you through it.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:35 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

You can change it through the TX using the flow chart on the Traxxas website. No modification to your rig necessary.
CoupeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:51 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019RedZR2Diesel View Post
When I engage the lockers, the first axle to lock up is the front, then the 2nd is the rear. This is exactly the opposite of my current actual ZR2 & the way my 08' actual Power Wagon was.

I would like the rear to engage first & then the front. It makes turning MUCH easier & many times, I could get by with just the rear locker. Can it be as simple as taking the remote control apart & just switching those 2 wires ???

Thanks for the help.

My ARBs in my 1:1 Jeep lock up the same as you 1:1s but RCs drive different. Locking your front end and keeping your rear locker unlocked can help you maneuver much better in some situations. It can almost be like have dig if you do it right.

If use a 5 channel controller now and I have it set up so I can open and lock the lockers independently in whatever order. There are advantages to bein able to do this.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:38 AM   #6

I have my diffs on separate channels on a non-Traxxas radio so I can control them independently as well.

That said: real world (non-competition) driving and rc crawling are two different worlds.
In crawling having the front lock first is better than having the rear lock first for the reason mentioned previously.

Turning circle is improved with the front unlocked but even better with both unlocked.

RC trail driving - well, it depends on what kind of trail. If there are tough, technical sections I would use the locked front diff and unlocked rear. I mostly do trails unlocked and then lock whatever I need when I need to.

Figure out what works best for you.
I think the Traxxas radio should let you set it up to meet your needs, but if not you can add a tx/rx with enough channels to give you independent control.
dugans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:11 PM   #7

Thanks for the everyone !
2019RedZR2Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:21 PM   #8
RCC Addict

There are a number of videos on youtube outlining several methods for reversing the engagement order. I reversed my engagement and ran it for a while but ultimately reverted back to the stock order as it works better for my rocks.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
My ARBs in my 1:1 Jeep lock up the same as you 1:1s but RCs drive different. Locking your front end and keeping your rear locker unlocked can help you maneuver much better in some situations. It can almost be like have dig if you do it right.

If use a 5 channel controller now and I have it set up so I can open and lock the lockers independently in whatever order. There are advantages to bein able to do this.
The ARB lockers in my 1:1 Bronco were originally rear had to be on for the front to be able to activate, that was using the factory harness from ARB. I had a couple close calls where the locked rear caused the rear tire to track down into a hole sending the front skyward on a steep climb, some serious pucker factor I made a jumper to allow either locker to be activated independently, having just the front locker activated for climbing worked much better.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post
The ARB lockers in my 1:1 Bronco were originally rear had to be on for the front to be able to activate, that was using the factory harness from ARB. I had a couple close calls where the locked rear caused the rear tire to track down into a hole sending the front skyward on a steep climb, some serious pucker factor I made a jumper to allow either locker to be activated independently, having just the front locker activated for climbing worked much better.
Do you have any pics of what you did?
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 remote control question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winch piggyback control - Cheap, No CH needed / Proportional remote control CRAWLER75 Electronics 9 12-15-2017 06:03 PM
Remote control/receiver Darrell Newbie General 5 08-24-2017 04:15 PM
remote control ? camobob Redcat Crawlers 9 02-22-2010 09:59 AM
Which Remote control Jmterminator Newbie General 15 01-14-2009 07:03 PM
Remote Control Fishing roktoy Chit Chat 4 01-13-2008 02:01 PM