Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Telluride Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2023, 06:18 PM   #101
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Telluride Project

It's ugly in a cool kind of a way. It resembles a super with those wheels and tires. Video please!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2023, 06:09 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Looks cool. I just saw your comment about the slop in driveshaft, I noticed that with the metal one in my brushless slash but my buddies now has the plastic one and it seems to be way more snug fitting on ends. I'm not sure if it would load and twist up weird but it definitely has less slop. On the back I actually just ran the little retainer for awhile since the tires would hit anything before the diff anyhow, I wanted to try to mod the front skid plate to fit rear but don't have a spare to try it on.
I ran the plastic one for a while, never gave me any issues.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:32 AM   #103
MSB
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Finally got some paint on this ugly duck... should have painted it yellow. Strangely, I'm coming around to it. It's definitely function over form. Swapped over to some 1" wheels and fake news TSL's which are just narrow enough to work.

Body was cut at the bottom to follow the lines on the chassis, it fits it almost perfectly.

Needs something in the back, I just don't know what yet. I'll chew on it for a while, something will come up.
I think it looks great!!! for rear bumpers, have you looked at the rustler 4x4 and/or hoss rear bumpers? They can just be mounted to the upper two ears as opposed to the stampede rear lower like you have that mounts down skid plate level. They're not as strongly mounted as they're more flexible, but I haven't broken one yet and they definitely sit up higher... I think if you trimmed one a bit in the width department your creativity would come through with something cool.
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:26 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Hmm.. interesting. Just so happens that I have a Rusty laying around.

I looked at the bumpers and decided not to mess with them, but I don't remember why. I'll have to take another look
Old 06-04-2023, 02:40 AM   #105
Quarry Creeper

Awsome. I just built 2 trail worthy slashes. Used small light 2.8s. No 3:1 motor planetary, they don't hold up to brushless. Still wanted fast ish bashers too, so installed castle 1512 2650kv sensored in 1, and a 1415 2400kv in the other. Not sure on the FDR, little too high for crawling, but nice for trail bashing and hill climbing. Of course they don't look as nice as yours though...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:39 AM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Very nice! I committed to trail running and crawling with mine, the Rusty is for high speeds...if I ever get it finished!

At one time I had converted over my 2 speed Axial Yeti Pro2 into a dual purpose rig, it worked out pretty decent.
Old 06-10-2023, 12:06 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Looks cool. I just saw your comment about the slop in driveshaft, I noticed that with the metal one in my brushless slash but my buddies now has the plastic one and it seems to be way more snug fitting on ends. I'm not sure if it would load and twist up weird but it definitely has less slop. On the back I actually just ran the little retainer for awhile since the tires would hit anything before the diff anyhow, I wanted to try to mod the front skid plate to fit rear but don't have a spare to try it on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I ran the plastic one for a while, never gave me any issues.
Mine still has the original plastic shaft in it and has not been an issue for me either, I’ve run a few different 21t 550 motors in it with the current being a HH Trailmaster Sport 550 21t and anywhere from the factory included 8.4v pack to a 4000mAh 25c 3s that is in it right now. Only issue I have had others that not having time to run it and other rigs is that the servo saver spring is a bit weak in my opinion.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 06:26 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Been a while since I messed with the Slash4x4 Crawler... Never really warmed up to the buggy body, I decided to move it over to my 2wd Slash for some low slung fun. I had this 12.5 Gozer body left over from a Maxx project and it's a perfect fit! Mounts on the side of the chassis with Velcro. Just need to finish a few things and it's time for round 3 of testing.

Old 11-20-2023, 07:30 AM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Finally got the Slash 4x4 out for some real testing. I never added any weight, so it's about at a 50/50 split if I'm lucky. Might even be a bit rear heavy still...no matter, I wanted to see what it could do. It actually did really well. The tires are cheap Amazon tires, chosen only for their kinda odd size (1.9 width, but 5.5" height, fit perfectly on 1" wheels) but once they broke in a bit, they started to bite a little. Not sure if they ae staying or not.

I forgot to set the drag brake, but with all the reduction, the revolver provided some natural braking so it wasn't too bad. Pretty much climbed all over the place.

Steering is not too bad, I'm getting close to 45 degrees. I think a little bit of shaving will get me there.

Decent breakover, the high CG chassis is a must.

Just a side shot, showing off...

On the test rock... I left the rear diff filled with silicone earplugs so it had rear diff action, but only a little. It works great on the telly with 1.9 tires, I think these bigger tires are somewhat negating the effect. I'm going to go back to a locked setup out back and see how different it drives. Still, it crawled around very well, and had more than enough wheelspeed for going down the trail.

Very happy overall with the performance. I think it's good at the moment, and could be better with some tweaks. Still not sold on the body... just can't quite seem to figure this one out. It's such an odd size, there's just not much out there that will work with the huge tires. Still mulling it over... the Gozer body will stay for now until I figure something out.
Old 11-21-2023, 08:29 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Body looks pretty good on there for a crawler. I always lean more towards a scale body for looks but there is a reason those bodies exist.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 05:46 AM   #111
I wanna be Dave

I could scale it up a bit I guess, but the chassis isn't exactly scale so not sure it's worth adding weight up top. I'd love a buggy of some kind, but everything pretty much is cab forward these days and it just looks odd.
Old 11-23-2023, 07:03 PM   #112
Quarry Creeper

I like that body. Looks like it'll accommodate rear steering quite nicely if you go that route.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:27 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

I think I finally settled on a wheel and tire combo. The fake news TSL's didn't do too bad, but they were a bit small and it looked odd to me. I saw these Proline Raid wheels come with all sorts off different hubs and they worked out great. I have both wheels set to Slash front offset, 12mm hubs.... I put on the tall U4 tires I picked up earlier. They *just* fit with the body. I think I finally settled on a wheel and tire combo. I saw these Proline Raid wheels come with all sorts off different hubs and they worked out great. I have both wheels set to Slash front offset, 12mm hubs and I put on the tall U4 tires I had laying around. They *just* fit with the body. I think the overall stance is much better, and the tires are pretty darn grippy. Should do well!

Lots of ground clearance.

Old 12-18-2023, 01:44 PM   #114

Beastly! Looks like a SlashDozer. New Proline tires always look sweet.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

The Telluride Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Went with the Telluride. wyd Traxxas Crawlers 103 04-08-2021 07:54 PM
Another Telluride Project derfman Traxxas Crawlers 0 08-12-2016 11:45 AM
Telluride? mwe-maxxowner Traxxas Crawlers 34 05-03-2015 06:53 AM
Traxxas telluride azwheelman Videos! 18 10-03-2013 09:17 AM
Traxxas Telluride zjguy721 General Crawlers 4 09-06-2013 12:07 PM