Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: I'm confused. E10 vs TRX4?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #1

Default I'm confused. E10 vs TRX4?

Now, I have a modified TRX4. Proline body, short metal bumpers, brass knuckles, lowered custom metal body pans, heavy alloy rims, rock beasts and lowered electronics and battery to pan. Every time I upgraded something, I went to the park behind my work and tested out so I know what this thing can do and can't do on these rocks in the park. I've been pretty satisfied with improvement so far and was pretty sure my TRX could keep up with other decent rigs. So yesterday, out of curiosity, I brought my old Redcat Everest 10 to the park for the first time just to see how fantastic job I did to my TRX 4. My E10 was my first crawler and it only had minor upgrade like 3oz in the front wheels and star foam cut. After hitting the familiar rocks, to my surprise , I found that E10 outcrawled TRX4 by large margin. E10 was pretty much unstoppable. Pick a line and go. while with TRX4, I have to be really careful choosing lines or it will get stuck or flip. Sure. E10 has huuuuuge turning radius, terrible torque twist and not so sticky stock tires. Definitely not so graceful over the rocks like TRX. But it float over rocks much better. What am I missing here? Is E10 supposed to be more capable than TRX?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
CRAWLER75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I'm confused. E10 vs TRX4?

Scalers and comp crawlers are different.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

crazy talk.. next thing you're gonna tell me is that this..

would be better offroad than this..

ubernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

why do people keep thinking they're the same thing?
ubernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
clm
Quarry Creeper

In real life the Traxxas would be the tow car towing the Redcat to an offroad competition and carrying all the gear. Yes it will do some crawling and due to hobby technology will do much more then a full size one will scale wise, the scale aspect hinders it compared to a vehicle that has only passing scale aspects that primarily focuses on the crawling.

Scrap the body, the bumpers, the rock skids, just about everything but axles and then bolt on bigger tires, more compact lighter trans, and longer suspension and you could concievable get the trx platform to crawl as well as a dedicated crawler... it wouldn't be a scale Landrover trail truck then however.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:46 PM   #6
clm
Quarry Creeper

The fun part I think is taking this somewhat top heavy vehicle with limited approach angles and pushing the limits of what I can make it do. It takes more care to do things that red blooded long legged floppy crawler that rarely looks too scale can do. And really... who is going to glue a small pile of sticks to the top of a heavily specialized rock crawler? I need a top heavy trail truck to glue all my Man Doll Accessories too!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernewb View Post
crazy talk.. next thing you're gonna tell me is that this..

would be better offroad than this..

I get it. Thanks. When I look at the chassis of 2 trucks though, TRX seems to be a lot more refined and engineered. For example, clearance on TRX is far superior than E10. Everything is tucked up nicely and there is at least an extra inch of clearance underneath as far as the lowest points(diffs) go. Frame and chassis is also much lower on the TRX and it gives an impression of lower COG.
It appeared that TRX would do better. I was sorta disappointed that those appearances didn't translated into real world performance. Maybe I was looking at the wrong things.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:10 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I always said my scaler ( the Honcho with upgrades ) could drive the same places my LCC could, and to be honest aside for the difference in wheel size it was pretty much true.

But perhaps i better mention that here in Denmark we dont really have any place that can challenge a crawler, that's why i switched to scalers you have a higher chance with one of those finding spots that can challenge a scaler outright, or will do so with a little creative gate placement.

I too get a bit upset when people call a scaler a crawler, it happen a lot over here on local RC fora, so much so i just had to quit those after a few years.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
In real life the Traxxas would be the tow car towing the Redcat to an offroad competition and carrying all the gear. Yes it will do some crawling and due to hobby technology will do much more then a full size one will scale wise, the scale aspect hinders it compared to a vehicle that has only passing scale aspects that primarily focuses on the crawling.

Scrap the body, the bumpers, the rock skids, just about everything but axles and then bolt on bigger tires, more compact lighter trans, and longer suspension and you could concievable get the trx platform to crawl as well as a dedicated crawler... it wouldn't be a scale Landrover trail truck then however.
Thanks for taking time and responding to my silly experiment. I knew they were different classes, but my hopes and dreams on TRX were so high, that I though it could crawl better than some dedicated crawlers. I was confused then. now I'm sad.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #10
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLER75 View Post
Thanks for taking time and responding to my silly experiment. I knew they were different classes, but my hopes and dreams on TRX were so high, that I though it could crawl better than some dedicated crawlers. I was confused then. now I'm sad.

No need to be sad! Build a trailer so the TRX can tow the E10, glue some random bits of 1/10 scale nic-nacks to the TRX, Then go have a 1/10 scale trip to drive the crawler in a place that takes some skill to get to towing it with the TRX ;)
Old 08-02-2017, 03:35 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Yea I wouldn't use E10 in a TRX-4 it will rot out your gas lines.
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:12 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsofbeer View Post
Yea I wouldn't use E10 in a TRX-4 it will rot out your gas lines.
It's a land rover, that's going to happen anyway.
AggressorBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggressorblue View Post
it's a land rover, that's going to happen anyway.
lol
Gimpy00Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I'm always surprised at the things my TRX4 has climbed I dunno. I don't have many mods but ive got good 4.75" tires and weight in the right spots. this isn't a nice light crawler that's for sure but I like the way in moves like this, almost like its a scale truck and that's the whole point, and it moves rocks around and snaps trigs and pushes over ferns because it has some weight and I like that too.

i also changed my front bumper to a low profile metal one and flipped the bumper mount so it's higher so i have protection and more clearance on approach.

It can more or less go anywhere in the woods that I can on or off trail, but it takes some thinking to get it through technical spots that maybe an open wheeled crawler would roll through.

I have the benefit that my other RCs are not crawlers so I have nothing to compare it against haha
Old 08-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #15
clm
Quarry Creeper

Exactly, it is fun to see what you can make it do!
Old 08-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm always surprised at the things my TRX4 has climbed I dunno. I don't have many mods but ive got good 4.75" tires and weight in the right spots. this isn't a nice light crawler that's for sure but I like the way in moves like this, almost like its a scale truck and that's the whole point, and it moves rocks around and snaps trigs and pushes over ferns because it has some weight and I like that too.

i also changed my front bumper to a low profile metal one and flipped the bumper mount so it's higher so i have protection and more clearance on approach.

It can more or less go anywhere in the woods that I can on or off trail, but it takes some thinking to get it through technical spots that maybe an open wheeled crawler would roll through.

I have the benefit that my other RCs are not crawlers so I have nothing to compare it against haha
4.75" tires... I'd say you're no longer "scale"...
AggressorBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #17
clm
Quarry Creeper

I have seen larger then 47.5 inch on severely lifted trucks full sized... 43ish if you fudge for 1/9 scale like most crawlers are. at true 1/10 scale 19 inch rims are not really normal for full scale off roaders either ;)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #18

Quote:

Don't get me wrong.. I love how my TRX drives and performs on technical rocks. Watching suspension at work is just... mesmerizing

I've had set of proline hyrax installed but they looked too big for the body(hilux). Then I replaced them with rock beast none xl. Now both them are just as sticky but I get less clearance with pitbulls obviously. Pitbulls look better imo but when they wear out, I won't hesitate to put hyrax back on

Old 08-03-2017, 05:27 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
4.75" tires... I'd say you're no longer "scale"...
Based on a 110" real wheelbase and 12.8" Traxxas, this makes the scale 1/8.59 scale.

That places the 4.75" tire mentioned at 40.8" and the 1.9" wheel at 16.3".

Maybe it's uncommon to see a Land Rover on 40's, but what is being scale suggested is completely plausible. I mean I wheel with a daily driver JKU on 40's often.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:10 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

If the wheel arches were not so big 4.10" tires would even work on the TRX-4 body.

The reason why I'm OK with 4.75s like the Hyrax is because the wheel arches make it all work (visually and functionally).

here is a d90 with 37" tires, close enough. I just looked really quickly. This totally looks like something we would build, trailer and all.

Last edited by Mountainsofbeer; 08-04-2017 at 04:20 AM.

I'm confused. E10 vs TRX4? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 Mods chipgibbs Traxxas TRX-4 83 05-01-2019 08:44 PM
Unimog TRX4 Parkflyer Traxxas Crawlers 13 11-06-2018 08:10 AM
Ebbet's TRX4 ebbet Traxxas TRX-4 24 09-10-2017 12:56 PM
Matt's TRX4 marinearmeni Traxxas TRX-4 1 06-21-2017 09:38 PM
First crawl with the TRX4 blarouche Traxxas TRX-4 2 06-03-2017 04:12 PM