Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: ESC issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

Default ESC issue

Having an issue with my stock ESC that started today. Took the rig out to play, and out of nowhere it would go slowly in reverse with no throttle input. I took the body off, and tried to turn the ESC off with no luck, so I unplugged the battery. When I plugged the battery back in, the ESC blinks rapidly with the green LED.

The manual tells me that this means the ESC is not getting signal. I checked the wires from the ESC to the receiver, and all are good. All other servos work fine. Battery is good. Batteries in the transmitter are fresh as well. I've checked the neutral setting on the controller, and its in the normal position (50/50). I've never touched anything in the menus before, but reset the transmitter and end points to be safe. No luck.

Is my ESC fried?
92fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: ESC issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92fox View Post
Having an issue with my stock ESC that started today. Took the rig out to play, and out of nowhere it would go slowly in reverse with no throttle input. I took the body off, and tried to turn the ESC off with no luck, so I unplugged the battery. When I plugged the battery back in, the ESC blinks rapidly with the green LED.

The manual tells me that this means the ESC is not getting signal. I checked the wires from the ESC to the receiver, and all are good. All other servos work fine. Battery is good. Batteries in the transmitter are fresh as well. I've checked the neutral setting on the controller, and its in the normal position (50/50). I've never touched anything in the menus before, but reset the transmitter and end points to be safe. No luck.

Is my ESC fried?
Try rebinding you radio to the receiver. Basically your TX isn't talking to your RX.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:17 PM   #3

I'll give it a go
Old 01-01-2018, 09:22 PM   #4

That didn't work either, but thank you.

The transmitter and receiver seem to be talking on all channels except the on for ESC, as all other channels perform as they should.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That didn't work either, but thank you.

The transmitter and receiver seem to be talking on all channels except the on for ESC, as all other channels perform as they should.
Try switching your servo plug and your esc plug in your receiver and see if your throttle will operate your servo, if it does you can be pretty sure it isn't your radio. If it does work, check your esc plug and wires going to the RX and see if that they are all intact.
Ernie
Old 01-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I had the same problem and found the receiver was defective. On my Spectrum receivers there is a tiny orange light inside that was not on. Replaced the receiver and all is good.
penguin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #7

CODYBOY - Tried that this morning, with no luck

penguin - Is there a way to verify it's the receiver? I'm still a relative noob to all this.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #8

I tried the ESC on my Slash's receiver this morning with the same issue. Also tried all other servos in CH2, which is for the ESC, and they all worked. Leaning towards the ESC being the culprit, but still open for suggestions.

Thanks for the help so far guys
Old 01-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

If you have a known good receiver just install it in the culprit vehicle. That will tell you if the receiver is bad. Don't even have to remove it from your other vehicle. Just plug everything from the TRX4 into another receiver and see if things work properly.
penguin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #10

Got it fixed...called Traxxas and somehow the throttle trim lost calibration. Spent a minute with the support rep on the phone and got her fixed.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Got it fixed...called Traxxas and somehow the throttle trim lost calibration. Spent a minute with the support rep on the phone and got her fixed.
Glad you got it figured out, now go have some fun!!!
Ernie
Old 01-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Glad you got it figured out, now go have some fun!!!
Ernie
Always!

I have to say, I am amazed how this thing has held up. I'm on all stock electronics. The only thing that broke from the factory was the servo horn, and that lasted a long time. I've had it for 5 months now, ran over 50 batteries (low estimate) through it with this being my only major issue.

The only things I have done to the truck are Proline F100 cab with Axial Honcho bed (custom diamond plate flat bed) with some scale accessories, SSD beadlocks with Proline BFG tires, and a Dravtech battery tray.

ESC issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESC issue? Desmo Vaterra Ascender 1 12-28-2016 05:31 PM
AE-2 esc issue Dr.Newb Axial Wraith 3 03-05-2015 06:15 AM
esc issue stroker613 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 02-11-2011 05:20 PM
Another ESC issue Rob L Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 03-23-2010 11:14 PM
HH BR-XL ESC issue constantmotion Electronics 10 12-10-2009 03:47 PM