Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Extended Stub Drive Axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2021, 11:47 PM   #1

Default Extended Stub Drive Axle

I built the TRX-4 chassis kit, and am now building the Sport kit as well, and am curious what purpose the extended stub axles (TRA8255A) serve? I've got the 72 Blazer body on the way, and noticed the wheels that "go with" that body require these extended axles. Is it the wheel/rim itself that's wider than what comes with the kits? I have some Injora bead locks with the stock tires and they fit just fine with my current Bronco body... Do they widen the stance/track or something? Perhaps they're longer to give the screw on center hubs a bit of thread to bite into?

Also, anyone running the MIP 4mm (per side) wide track offsets? Considering grabbing those to widen things up a tad.

Thanks!
Ty89m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2021, 11:52 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Extended Stub Drive Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty89m View Post
Perhaps they're longer to give the screw on center hubs a bit of thread to bite into?
Right on the money!
The MIP +4mm shafts (or similar) would be needed to widen the stance. I used to run the MIP shafts on my Bronco when it was still on portals (they're incompatible with the SSD portal deletes.) They didn't make a HUGE difference in side stability on their own but certainly enough to notice. It became more apparent, both visually and performance wise, after I paired the MIP +4mm shafts with a set of Yeah Racing 8mm (wide) hexes. Together they'll give you +8mm width per side over the stock shafts and stock 4mm hexes. I was able to tilt to nearly 50° (I can't remember the actual number) before the truck wanted to tip over
Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 06-09-2021 at 12:09 AM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:30 AM   #3

Makes sense! Thanks for confirming that for me! I'll have to go down the rabbit hole of portals vs straight one of these days. I'm such a noob I best keep it simple for the time being. I def need to pick me up some MIP drive shafts and maybe give the offsets a shot - I'll check out the Yeah racing offsets as well - I've been turning their hex drivers for a loooong time, one of my most valuable/used tools. Didn't even realize they made upgrade parts for these rigs - I'm sure they're nice
Ty89m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:35 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Makes sense! Thanks for confirming that for me! I'll have to go down the rabbit hole of portals vs straight one of these days. I'm such a noob I best keep it simple for the time being. I def need to pick me up some MIP drive shafts and maybe give the offsets a shot - I'll check out the Yeah racing offsets as well - I've been turning their hex drivers for a loooong time, one of my most valuable/used tools. Didn't even realize they made upgrade parts for these rigs - I'm sure they're nice
I have the shafts and spacers (not the original low profile wheel nuts though) laying around if you're interested. Shoot me a PM, maybe we can work something out.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I built the TRX-4 chassis kit, and am now building the Sport kit as well, and am curious what purpose the extended stub axles (TRA8255A) serve? I've got the 72 Blazer body on the way, and noticed the wheels that "go with" that body require these extended axles. Is it the wheel/rim itself that's wider than what comes with the kits? I have some Injora bead locks with the stock tires and they fit just fine with my current Bronco body... Do they widen the stance/track or something? Perhaps they're longer to give the screw on center hubs a bit of thread to bite into?

Also, anyone running the MIP 4mm (per side) wide track offsets? Considering grabbing those to widen things up a tad.

Thanks!

I have mip 4mm wideners installed on my trx4 tactical unit. Ill see if i can find before and after pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:54 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Team Raffee also makes those widener kits, in different sizes, for a fraction of the MIP price. Might be worth having a look at them
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:00 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
Team Raffee also makes those widener kits, in different sizes, for a fraction of the MIP price. Might be worth having a look at them
Team Raffee were the ones I couldn't remember. I knew somebody made more than MIPs +4 but I was thinking Pro-line for some reason. Thank you!

Old 06-10-2021, 05:46 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
Team Raffee were the ones I couldn't remember. I knew somebody made more than MIPs +4 but I was thinking Pro-line for some reason. Thank you!

I have the 10mm ones and the quality and machinery is excellent. They cost around $15 from asiatees.

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Tra...RX-4&id=171896
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
I have the 10mm ones and the quality and machinery is excellent. They cost around $15 from asiatees.

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Tra...RX-4&id=171896

Thanks for the link! I’m curious about this.

That’s a reasonable price plus brass hexes!

Does anyone have before/after pics of their rig?

I’m curious as to the visual change if any.

Thanks
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote

Extended Stub Drive Axle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extended Drive Shaft 6"+? alexchen86 Tamiya XC/CC01 14 06-26-2010 05:55 PM
Drive shafte extended replacement and links. all hung up Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 01-02-2009 08:05 PM
Lube TLT-1 stub axle to inner axle shaft or run it dry??? Natedog Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 01-17-2006 02:53 AM
extended drive shaft Warn Off Road Tamiya TLT Crawlers 8 08-24-2005 07:10 PM