Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Just got my 2021 Bronco have plans and fears lol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2021, 12:19 AM   #1

Default Just got my 2021 Bronco have plans and fears lol

So as the title states, i have just got my bronco a couple days ago, haven't been able to run it yet due to some battery /charger shenanigans I will sort out later today.

Plans are to use it stock for the moment as this is my first crawler / trail truck I have driven (I did carpet racing and rally) after i get the feel I was thinking of the following:
Hobbywing Fusion 1800 or a different combo that's good
Better servo (i used savox in the past are these still good for this application?)
Better wheels/ tires
scale stuff as I wanna try for a rescue vehicle possible based out of mass or similar type of look.
Pro lights, possibly the sense 2 sound speaker but i know it can affect weight

I have a couple of racing batteries, the short ones, but i feel they have too fast of a discharge rate? (3500 100C and a 5000 50C (long battery)

Battery suggestions?
Also how easy is it to change over to the DX5 Pro for the lockers/2 speed?

Thoughts/ tips etc are welcome
Scipunk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2021, 08:40 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Just got my 2021 Bronco have plans and fears lol

Welcome to the TRX club! Your batteries will be fine. I run 25-35C batteries, 100c won't even be breaking a sweat.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Welcome to the TRX club! Your batteries will be fine. I run 25-35C batteries, 100c won't even be breaking a sweat.
Thanks and awesome to hear! Now I gotta convert my connectors lol
Old 11-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipunk73 View Post

1: Hobbywing Fusion 1800 or a different combo that's good

2: Better servo (i used savox in the past are these still good for this application?)

3: Better wheels/ tires

4: scale stuff as I wanna try for a rescue vehicle possible based out of mass or similar type of look.
Pro lights, possibly the sense 2 sound speaker but i know it can affect weight

5: Battery suggestions?

6: Also how easy is it to change over to the DX5 Pro for the lockers/2 speed?

Good looking rig, I like the idea of grabbing one of these eventually!

1: that’s a great choice, I might consider the spektrum 2300kv 2 in 1 for a little more versatility, but not sure how they compare side by side. I’ve had a couple hw fusion 1800’s, and they excel in low speed control, they are quiet and they help clean up the wiring side of things.
Lately I have been using more Castle esc’s and Holmes puller pro motors, little more expensive and louder, but they are power houses and offer a wider range of tuning ability via castle link.

2: lots of people use savox, I’ve only had one and it was way too noisy for my taste. The stock Traxxas servo is definitely weak, personally I would at least pick up a ds3235 servo from eBay, they are smooth and quiet, and have noticeably more power than stock. Any more if I want a value servo that’s my choice. If I want a really good servo I tend to like the protek 370tbl, or Holmes shv800, And I hear good things about tekin servos.

3: Plenty of good options, proline, jconcepts, Pitbull, even some rc4wd tires I’ve liked. I’ve also had great luck with the stock canyon trail tires in my area, I usually only change them if I’m looking for something more scale/licensed. As far as wheels, I’ve definitely used my share of knock off sets from eBay/Amazon, although I am trying to be better about supporting the companies that actually contribute to the hobby.

4: not much input on this aspect

5: your batteries should be just fine, but I would definitely recommend 3s minimum. I have been using ovonic air batteries that I buy from eBay or Amazon, and I’ve had good luck there.

6: I haven’t used a spektrum radio, so not much to add. You definitely want to make sure to set end points for all of the servos, and calibrate the radio to the Esc, but you probably already know that. I set up my last Trx4 on a Flysky gt5 and enjoyed separating the lockers to different Channels so I could switch front and rear independently.

Look forward to seeing what you do with it
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Great write-up Twade

I just put the Hobbywing Fusion 1800kv in my single-speed Sport and I love it. good speed and great low-end. I think it'll be plenty fast in the Bronco in 2nd gear. For $150, I was more than impressed. No doubt I would purchase another.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #6

@twade984 Thanks for all the info I did notices the brushed stutter at low speed, been a while since i used one!

I'll pick up a 3s soon, and that servo the ds3235 looks good for now, i might even have a savox or other servo kicking around ill check tonight.

I just had my first run with it, short to test everything and all that. It's got some spunk but I'm used to like 13t and lower for track speed, so it's a nice change of pace. My notes so far

Servo is incredibly noisy lol but it works well.

It seem very bouncy not out of control but springy? TBF i am used to carpet buggies that have like really strong shocks for all the jumps.

It can't climb my steps ... i mean i can barely so I am not sure what i was thinking lol

Over all it's fun, I need more to actually test it on, not just mediocre grass but it's cold here. Tomorrow I might stop by my LHS to try the course there.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:40 PM   #7

So after looking over it today i noticed some flaws (not totally surprised) but the one that got me was a 5 inch cut on the back window into the body... plus the rear decals are terribly applied. I may remove and make my own pieces as 150 for a new clear body is a bit much...

i spoke with traxxas and they are sending the pics to a manager and i should hear back soon.

Question:
How does one determine tires/compound needed? Are there overall options?
Old 11-18-2021, 07:13 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Great looking rig!

I agree with Twade’s sentiments.

If you are dead set on the all in one fusion type motor/esc then I’d look at the higher kv spectrum offering.

Your rig is a two speed and stock gearing is already low-ish along with the reduction from the portals. 2300 will crawl just fine and 2nd gear will be just fine for trailing.

If for whatever reason it’s too fast, drop a tooth on the pinion. Running 3s will make up for any loss in wheel speed.

I have a serious aversion to proprietary items where you are trapped, ex. the fusion, axe system and traxxas batteries. So because of this, I’m all in for the castle esc camp.

You want to try a new motor, swap it out. Beautiful.

Fantastic low speed control forward and back along with great tune ability. I am spoiled by throttle curves.

Holmes hobbies has excellent step by step tuning videos for these esc’s and he explains the “why” of each setting, which is huge.

With the introduction of the Copperhead esc, it offers a more affordable choice to the Mamba X.

The noise. Yeah no getting around this one. Castle esc’s and brushless motors are noisy. Not overbearing like an out runner but it’s there.

I’m currently running a Mamba X and Crawlmaster Pro. Hardly any noise and I’ve read that the Copperhead is “supposed” to be better in the noise department.

Tires. Again, I agree with twade.

Figure out what your end purpose will be and go from there. Scale, full on icky sticky crawling performance, just trail running, mixture of all, etc.

Compound again kind of dictated by end use and terrain type, rock type, etc.

You mentioned you have a local hobby shop, that’d be a good place to start asking.

All I do is slow crawl rocks which happen to be a slick granite. For me, prolines predator compound does fantastic and the pL trenchers in Pred compound are awesome awesome.

Don’t discount the stock canyon trail tires though. They’re not that bad for RTR tires and after I cut the lugs with a Dremel, they don’t hold me back any on my rocks.

Just my thoughts on this.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:58 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
How does one determine tires/compound needed? Are there overall options?
Sticking with quality brand tires, you can’t necessarily go wrong, it’s more of a preference. Proline g8 compound is a great starting point, and personally I would stress the importance of a good dual stage foam over compound.

It’s something you really just have to try things out to determine the best setup for your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Great looking rig!

I agree with Twade’s sentiments.

If you are dead set on the all in one fusion type motor/esc then I’d look at the higher kv spectrum offering.

Your rig is a two speed and stock gearing is already low-ish along with the reduction from the portals. 2300 will crawl just fine and 2nd gear will be just fine for trailing.

If for whatever reason it’s too fast, drop a tooth on the pinion. Running 3s will make up for any loss in wheel speed.

I have a serious aversion to proprietary items where you are trapped, ex. the fusion, axe system and traxxas batteries. So because of this, I’m all in for the castle esc camp.

You want to try a new motor, swap it out. Beautiful.

Fantastic low speed control forward and back along with great tune ability. I am spoiled by throttle curves.

Holmes hobbies has excellent step by step tuning videos for these esc’s and he explains the “why” of each setting, which is huge.

With the introduction of the Copperhead esc, it offers a more affordable choice to the Mamba X.

The noise. Yeah no getting around this one. Castle esc’s and brushless motors are noisy. Not overbearing like an out runner but it’s there.

I’m currently running a Mamba X and Crawlmaster Pro. Hardly any noise and I’ve read that the Copperhead is “supposed” to be better in the noise department.

Tires. Again, I agree with twade.

Figure out what your end purpose will be and go from there. Scale, full on icky sticky crawling performance, just trail running, mixture of all, etc.

Compound again kind of dictated by end use and terrain type, rock type, etc.

You mentioned you have a local hobby shop, that’d be a good place to start asking.

All I do is slow crawl rocks which happen to be a slick granite. For me, prolines predator compound does fantastic and the pL trenchers in Pred compound are awesome awesome.

Don’t discount the stock canyon trail tires though. They’re not that bad for RTR tires and after I cut the lugs with a Dremel, they don’t hold me back any on my rocks.

Just my thoughts on this.
Wow thanks for the info! I hear ya on proprietary stuff as it can lock you out. I have already converted to xt60's and am using a new wave short pack, 3500 100c i had left over from racing.

I'll go check out the Holmes /castle stuff, I have a ez run setup here but the motor is a low turn for racing so probably too much for crawling and iirc it's not as sensor one. The ESC might be useful though.

I found this one (on backorder) but this should fit the bill:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...qcqawapbzvqctz

I am looking to do more scale stuff (thinking of a rescue/fire theme) with some crawling and trail running, so a more over all tire would work. I will have to look into this lug cutting for the canyons.

Thanks all for the advice!
Old 11-18-2021, 08:57 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Default Just got my 2021 Bronco have plans and fears lol

Quote:
Wow thanks for the info! I hear ya on proprietary stuff as it can lock you out. I have already converted to xt60's and am using a new wave short pack, 3500 100c i had left over from racing.

I'll go check out the Holmes /castle stuff, I have a ez run setup here but the motor is a low turn for racing so probably too much for crawling and iirc it's not as sensor one. The ESC might be useful though.

I found this one (on backorder) but this should fit the bill:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...qcqawapbzvqctz

I am looking to do more scale stuff (thinking of a rescue/fire theme) with some crawling and trail running, so a more over all tire would work. I will have to look into this lug cutting for the canyons.

Thanks all for the advice!

I’ll do you one better homie!

In stock at Holmes! I just ordered one for a new build.

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...erhead-10.html

For a couple bucks extra theyll put on the battery plug and a Jst too if you want.

I highly highly recommend the jst! If for whatever reason you want to switch to a direct Powered servo you’re all set.

Also,

They offer HH motor/esc combos for a bit of a discount vs bought separately.

https://holmeshobbies.com/combos/bru...tor-combo.html

I ran a puller pro 2700 for a while and really like it.

You could get a higher kv motor, drop to 9t pinion, still have great control in 1st snd a lot of jam in 2nd when needed.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:53 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

With most Savox to get decent power you need to run an external BEC however the Fusion claims to have a decent internal one but in reality I don't think it does. You can set it to 7.4 and it is supposed to put out a decent amount of amperage but from experience I don't think it does. Even them if you set the internal BEC on the Fusion to 7.4 you run the risk of harming other TRX electronics. For a TRX with stock electronics components I would only run a direct power servo, I would not even consider anything else. If you don't want to do the the Savox 1230 is 6 volts and decent, but an amp whore so even though it is 6 volts you won't have enough amperage to run it at its best.

I have a Fusion in a TRX and it is fine, but not wonderful. Even thought it claims more voltage and amperage I don't think it does doe the less than wonderful performance of my Servo. It has little to no feed back and not as responsive as other setups but for the money it is a good simple easy option. If you really want performance look at the Castle stuff, either the Copperhead or MambaX. They offer more tuning options, more motor options and the Copperhead runs up to 4s and the MambaX up to 6s. Even crawling with a 4s setup offers performance upgrades. The MambaX also offers and aux control for your drag brake but the would require other upgrades to use.

Wheels and tires are a good option but if money is short I wouldn't deal with that now. You do want to add weight up front. if you are building a scale looking trail setup there are allot of brass options. To get your tires and foams right you have to really know the weight of the vehicle and the terrain you will run on and the stock tires are not bad.

I like to run smaller batteries up front because of weight distribution but run time will be less. The discharge rate is not a big deal for that crawler but depending on future mods it could be. To high of a discharge rate will never hurt you , too low could cause heat issues or performance issues.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
With most Savox to get decent power you need to run an external BEC however the Fusion claims to have a decent internal one but in reality I don't think it does. You can set it to 7.4 and it is supposed to put out a decent amount of amperage but from experience I don't think it does. Even them if you set the internal BEC on the Fusion to 7.4 you run the risk of harming other TRX electronics. For a TRX with stock electronics components I would only run a direct power servo, I would not even consider anything else. If you don't want to do the the Savox 1230 is 6 volts and decent, but an amp whore so even though it is 6 volts you won't have enough amperage to run it at its best.

I have a Fusion in a TRX and it is fine, but not wonderful. Even thought it claims more voltage and amperage I don't think it does doe the less than wonderful performance of my Servo. It has little to no feed back and not as responsive as other setups but for the money it is a good simple easy option. If you really want performance look at the Castle stuff, either the Copperhead or MambaX. They offer more tuning options, more motor options and the Copperhead runs up to 4s and the MambaX up to 6s. Even crawling with a 4s setup offers performance upgrades. The MambaX also offers and aux control for your drag brake but the would require other upgrades to use.

Wheels and tires are a good option but if money is short I wouldn't deal with that now. You do want to add weight up front. if you are building a scale looking trail setup there are allot of brass options. To get your tires and foams right you have to really know the weight of the vehicle and the terrain you will run on and the stock tires are not bad.

I like to run smaller batteries up front because of weight distribution but run time will be less. The discharge rate is not a big deal for that crawler but depending on future mods it could be. To high of a discharge rate will never hurt you , too low could cause heat issues or performance issues.
Thanks for the feedback, i had a fusion in my cart but now im hesitant. I wanna run at least 3s at some point, and wanna have good control at slow speed. The copperhead is nice and more in range for my budget. i will look into those more closely.

I just ordered: Wheels (SSD 8 hole and hexes) , tires (jconcepts landmines), brass portal covers and well the motor/esc once land on one. If i decided to use the Traxxas remote for now till i dig out my dx5 pro with the stock receiver be ok? How does one run the servo direct power?

Last edited by Scipunk73; 11-25-2021 at 01:58 PM.

Just got my 2021 Bronco have plans and fears lol - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2021 Ford Bronco JatoTheRipper Chit Chat 72 11-02-2021 10:24 AM
Hannibal 2 - 2021 Bronco build KvilleKrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 50 08-13-2021 06:29 PM
Scx-24 2021 bronco sport Unclelee Micro Scale Rigs 1 08-05-2021 12:07 PM
2021 Bronco Hardbody deephis46 Paint and Body 6 02-27-2021 06:04 PM