Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Fried receiver and esc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2022, 10:25 PM   #1

Default Fried receiver and esc

This is my first post, been lurking for awhile. I have a trx4 bronco i got a few months ago. I just upgraded to a hw1080, HH trailmaster 21T and a promodeler 505 steering servo. Everything was working perfectly until I went to set the end point adjustments. I turned to the right and set, turned to the left and set, went to check them and suddenly i heard a pop and everything went dead. The red light on the HW1080 flashing fast, nothing will respond. I turned it off, disconnected the battery, reconnected everything and the same thing. I tried connecting the setup card but none of the led's will light up. I opened up the receiver box and smell the burnt smell. I disconnect the steering servo and esc wire. Power back up with the card and it lights back up, hw does two beeps and then flashes fast again. Ok so i decide to try hooking up the stock esc and it immediatly starts smoking, great so now I've fried it too. So what the heck fried the receiver? I made sure the HW1080 was on 6v before i powered up and I made sure it was still on that setting even after this incident. I have this Friday off to go trail running with some friends and now that's out. Really wishing now i had just left the damn thing alone. Anyone have a clue as to what would have caused the receiver to fry? I'm worried about throwing a bunch of more money on electronics only to fry them again.
Cuda1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2022, 06:34 AM   #2

Default Re: Fried receiver and esc

So morning update. I plugged in a spare spectrum 3 receiver in and everything works great other than it's only a 3 channel so i can't shift trans or lock diffs. But atleast I know the HW esc and servo are working good. I have no idea what could have fried the traxxas receiver. It worked fine for about 15 minutes driving around my driveway before it went so I know it wasn't anything hooked up wrong. I'm just going to upgrade to a Radiolink RC6GS.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:56 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

oh you have first hand exsperianced the traxxaassss electronics curse as soon as the word traxxasss is printed on the plastic that holds.electronics it instantly pisses off the smoke god and he will come roaring out of what ever had taxxass printed on it
dont worrie its normal i wont even plug a battery in to anything that has traxxass electronics in it its only a matter of time
there only ment to get you out the door untill you buy something else
thats good.your esc and servos are still good most likely cause they dont have traxass printed on them anywere
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:58 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

if your riy is new traxxass might warenty the reciver but why chances are its.gona do the same thing again and next time you might not be so lucky
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:06 AM   #5

I think you might be right. That's why i just decided to bite the bullet and get the radiolink instead of messing around with a new Traxxas receiver.

Last edited by Cuda1975; 08-30-2022 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:47 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

What output voltage was the 1080 internal BEC set to? If too high, it might have exceeded what the Traxxas Rx input voltage could handle.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 12:14 PM   #7

I had the BEC voltage set at 6V. Double checked it after the receiver fried just to make sure.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Love my V2 Radiolink RC6GS. So much so I'll end up getting the V3 soon, and keep the V2 and only use the FlySky GT5 for spare rigs/guest rig.

Traxxas Electronics SUCK as bad as no name shit. Which is why it pretty much has a lifetime warranty as its junk.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:35 AM   #9

Yeah i have a RC4GS for my Senton which i absolutely LOVE. Wished i had just sprung for the RC6, would have only had to buy another receiver but oh well. I have a RC6GS V3 coming and should have it Friday so I can still hit the trails if it comes early enough.

The Traxxas endpoint adjustment on the TQi sucks. When i would set the end points the servo would jump. Wondering if it created an amp spike using the Promodeler servo which fried the receiver. Love the truck but hate the electronics running it. Oh well, should have a nice running rig come Friday.

Last edited by Cuda1975; 08-31-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:38 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Your not the first person to kill a Traxxas reciever by drawing too many amps thru it with a powerful servo. Those Promodeler servos are beasts, and usually quite efficient. However, if you stall them out they can spike 5+ amps for a few milliseconds, which is enough to burn out a reciever.

Do yourself a favor and power the servo directly from an external BEC.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Fried receiver and esc - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanguard Esc fried, will monster 2 esc work? anstead610 Axial Yeti XL 23 06-01-2015 07:14 PM
Unlucky? Fried my servo and receiver.. SoCal Crawlr Axial SCX-10 0 08-20-2014 01:04 PM
Fried Futaba Fasst Receiver??? jcboof Electronics 3 01-07-2010 08:47 PM
1 Fried ESC + 1 Fried ESC = BRAND NEW ESC nd4spdbh Electronics 6 04-06-2006 02:25 PM
Fried my Ko ESC minijosh Electronics 6 09-23-2005 09:50 AM