Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: The terrible phoenix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2021, 05:13 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The terrible phoenix

Awesome! Thanks very much! I'd rather run the internal spool servo so it's nice to see it can be done.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2021, 01:43 PM   #22

No problem, you have to grind less then I did, and grind the guide out near the bumper, It does ride on the bottom of the spool more but I don’t think it’s a big deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dino21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

The LHS just happened to have a Reefs IS in stock so I installed it after mtb trail maintenance and a little tiny truck time. Trails are slippery today and I could have used the winch a couple times but I may get to try it tomorrow. I used 4mm spacers in the rear and 2mm in the front to angle the servo a little and try to get the cable closer to the center of the spool.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:18 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Got some tiny truck time today. It was a bit cold, about 30-32* and I could really tell after a while as the shock action was pretty slow. The new winch was fun. bought a BP custom winch anchor that made hooking it to something much easier. I found myself trying new climbs just to use the winch. It'll be real fun once the leaves all lay down and flatten out some more.

Think I need a little more stiff foams, even with the colder weather I'm getting quite a bit of tire wrap and sidewall rollover.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:24 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I am having one issue that is really pissing me off. When I built the truck I couldn't get the lower screw into the motor mount through the skid plate. If I did, the top shaft bound up terribly against the fake transmission tunnel cover that goes from the motor plate to the transmission.

I bought an aluminum motor plate thinking the plastic version was warped. In the process of putting the new motor plate on I went through my whole trans and checked every spacer and bearing to be sure I didn't mess anything up or miss something. No dice. When I try to put the screw in the motor plate the whole trans binds as I have to pry the motor mount forward to get the screw started.

I've even removed the top shaft cover after I tried trimming some of it away but still no luck. The shaft gets flexed and causes binding on the first set of gears in the trans.

Any ideas? I've been running without that lower screw and the truck seems fine without it. I wonder if the aluminum tubes would help any?
Old 11-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #26

I was just gunna say maybe the aluminum stand off things, I know my front one was impossible I get in and I ended up lose if everyone to start that one then I sucked it all down but I don’t have any binding issues

Dino21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #27
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
I am having one issue that is really pissing me off. When I built the truck I couldn't get the lower screw into the motor mount through the skid plate. If I did, the top shaft bound up terribly against the fake transmission tunnel cover that goes from the motor plate to the transmission.

I bought an aluminum motor plate thinking the plastic version was warped. In the process of putting the new motor plate on I went through my whole trans and checked every spacer and bearing to be sure I didn't mess anything up or miss something. No dice. When I try to put the screw in the motor plate the whole trans binds as I have to pry the motor mount forward to get the screw started.

I've even removed the top shaft cover after I tried trimming some of it away but still no luck. The shaft gets flexed and causes binding on the first set of gears in the trans.

Any ideas? I've been running without that lower screw and the truck seems fine without it. I wonder if the aluminum tubes would help any?
I had/have the same issue. I am using the aluminum motor plate as well. I just chose to leave the screw out. Everything is perfectly solid so I haven’t seen a need to make it work. It isn’t off by much but appears by forcing it into place it puts stress on the position of the trans. Clearly you have found the same.

Great build and pics!

That is a lot of leaves you are truckin around in. With the cooler temps that must be super slippery
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:35 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with the issue but it still sucks. If there's enough room on the top shaft I guess I could use a few washers to lengthen the plastic tubes.

And yeah it was really slick Friday morning with a dusting of snow on the leaves (and F-ing cold!)

I'm going to try and run out again today to try out some pittbull rock beast XL's I've had on another truck. I think they look too big vs/ the small RB but I want to see what they do.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:47 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Went out for a quick trip before work tonight. The RB XL's didn't disappoint. They made some of the lines I normally do a walk where usually I've got to work for it. Only issue is the truck is even more tall with the bigger tires. I do like the bronze color wheels though.

And one of my trail buddy for gits and shiggles.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Today was pretty tough. Same park but a different area. Much more steep and a lot more ledges from water run off. I thought for sure I would end up breaking an axle or something in the transmission after a little while. Kept catching tires on undercuts and flopping a lot. The RB XL's are good tires but the size of them makes me feel like I'm cheating.

After 2 hours nothing was broke and we made it back to the bottom of the hill no worse for the wear. Truck and all electronics still performing 100%.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #31
Go Buckeyes!

Good looking rig terrible!

Looks great out in the wild! I have similar terrain here in my area and the Pitbull Rock Beast have always been one of my favorite tires. Love the look of them and they perform great.

Hey, on my Phoenix, I too had an issue with the countersunk screw that goes thru the skid into the gear cover. The hole seemed to be off a little. I ended up putting that screw in first and then putting in the rest of the screws on top. Once the VFD is bolted down it works and sounds ok. I like smog's idea of just leaving the screw out. The trans is in there so tight with the other screws that there shouldn't be a problem leaving it out.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Very nice wheel and tire choice. Whole rig looks great!

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Lockeduprc hubs are in. Had to take a little off the end of the axle stub to make sure they tightened up on the wheel. They did note that on the website though, I just didn't want to space them out and put them closer to the rocks.

I'm goin to leave the screw out of the motor mount for now until I need to take the trans out again. It doesn't seem to make too much of a difference but I would rather have it in there.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

I'm in WV so the terrain probably is similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Good looking rig terrible!

Looks great out in the wild! I have similar terrain here in my area and the Pitbull Rock Beast have always been one of my favorite tires. Love the look of them and they perform great.

Hey, on my Phoenix, I too had an issue with the countersunk screw that goes thru the skid into the gear cover. The hole seemed to be off a little. I ended up putting that screw in first and then putting in the rest of the screws on top. Once the VFD is bolted down it works and sounds ok. I like smog's idea of just leaving the screw out. The trans is in there so tight with the other screws that there shouldn't be a problem leaving it out.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:25 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

I wanted somewhere on the truck to keep my small straps and a few shackles. Being 10th scale makes it really hard to keep things functional as well as good looking on the truck. With the bed mostly taken up by the cage and that ugly hump something had to go. I figured I could cut the hump off the body and gain quite a bit of room right behid the cab with a minimal amount of servo showing. I found a cool box on thingiverse and here we are.

The piece of lexan I cut to close the cab in didn't come out the proper color so I may re paint it if it bothers me enough. I'm happy with it!
Old 12-07-2021, 06:28 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I wanted somewhere on the truck to keep my small straps and a few shackles. Being 10th scale makes it really hard to keep things functional as well as good looking on the truck. With the bed mostly taken up by the cage and that ugly hump something had to go. I figured I could cut the hump off the body and gain quite a bit of room right behid the cab with a minimal amount of servo showing. I found a cool box on thingiverse and here we are.

The piece of lexan I cut to close the cab in didn't come out the proper color so I may re paint it if it bothers me enough. I'm happy with it!
what did u use for scale bolts u have in places
Neilo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:45 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

https://www.lockeduprc.com/M3-Scale-...inc_p_353.html

Best bolts you can buy.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:19 AM   #38
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
I'm in WV so the terrain probably is similar.
Yeah, I'd say terrain is similar, but your views are far more superior than mine! Love the WV area. Every year we travel down to the Hinton area for my wife's family reunion. So many beautiful scenery's!

Nice job on the cargo box. Perfect place for it to sit!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:33 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

A few more pics I forgot about. I'd like to find a mount for my transmitter that would hold my phone so I could shoot video and drive, any suggestions?

Old 12-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

The shocks really aren't that bad but I wish they had a threaded cap for the seal holding. That little circle clip is a pain to get out! but there are some nice silicone x-rings inside the factory shocks.

The terrible phoenix - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Terrible Noob with Terrible Questions. MogollonMonster Newbie General 6 12-11-2016 04:47 PM
The Terrible hammer terrible Vaterra Twin Hammers 19 07-02-2013 05:41 PM
I'm looking for Terrible One! Going Up! Chit Chat 4 02-13-2006 07:26 PM
Arizona, Phoenix, PARC (Phoenix Arizona Rock Crawlers) kevinlongisland Competition Results 5 12-18-2005 03:20 PM