Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: The terrible phoenix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default The terrible phoenix

This is my first full Vanquish kit and I liked the build a lot. A ton of work but very rewarding. I built the truck with decent electronics and splurged on a new transmitter and matching 6 channel receiver to take advantage of all the fun stuff the phoenix can do. Only issue during the build was the shock collars like everyone else had problems with. I ended up warming them with a heat gun and that really helped. About 2 hours of trail time today with zero issues.

Only changes I plan are some sort of servo winch (suggestions?)

terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2021, 03:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The terrible phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
Only changes I plan are some sort of servo winch (suggestions?)
If I was gonna winch, I'd winch with this.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:35 AM   #3

The shock collars are keyed, if you spin them in reverse ever so slowly, you will feel a subtle "click" then they will be started on the correct threads, and wont be cross threaded so easily. Still not easily twisted on, but way easier than when they are cross threaded
splith0riz0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 01:04 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have about 4-5 hours run time on the phoenix now with zero issues. I mounted a spare in the bed but not sure I like it. It does cover the open area well but I think the extra little bit of weight up high is a hinderance.

Think I'm going to pick up an element enduro receiver box and mount my receiver on the side pod in the box. I like it being in the fuel tank but I hate the wiring being run over top of the fuel tank.

Also still shopping for a winch. Not sure how I would use one of the internal drum versions but I like the idea of the internal to keep the winch wire wound nicely in the captive drum.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Such a good lookin rig! Youve got some sweet lookin terrain to play on. Im in the process of buildin a course out back
indybama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #6

Nice rig! What paint did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J-rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:54 PM   #7
JMo

Quote:

Also still shopping for a winch. Not sure how I would use one of the internal drum versions but I like the idea of the internal to keep the winch wire wound nicely in the captive drum.
Be aware of the winch rope routing on the VS4-10 chassis, it's really designed for a spool on the end of a servo (rather than the internal drum kind), as the cable then runs directly through the chassis crossmember and bumper fairlead:

That said, one 'issue' with portal axles being used on this chassis means there is less clearance between the upper link bracket and any servo-winch spool - and in this instance it does actually touch just before the shock is fully compressed on that side:

In general running you're unlikely to notice or for it to be an issue, but just be aware that there is less space available for a servo winch that there would be with straight axles and correspondingly longer shocks.

Hope that helps...
JMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-rc View Post
Nice rig! What paint did you use?

Been using these for a few years now. Pretty cheap from our local hobby lobby. Ans water based so I can spray it in the basement without getting stoned.

Last edited by terrible; 11-08-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo View Post
Be aware of the winch rope routing on the VS4-10 chassis, it's really designed for a spool on the end of a servo (rather than the internal drum kind), as the cable then runs directly through the chassis crossmember and bumper fairlead:

That said, one 'issue' with portal axles being used on this chassis means there is less clearance between the upper link bracket and any servo-winch spool - and in this instance it does actually touch just before the shock is fully compressed on that side:

In general running you're unlikely to notice or for it to be an issue, but just be aware that there is less space available for a servo winch that there would be with straight axles and correspondingly longer shocks.

Hope that helps...
Yes it helps a lot! Can the servo winch with the spool be spaced upwards a little to eliminate any contact? Does the rope spool back on ok or is it a pain to keep it on the spool? If it is going to be a pain I may just look into building a bumper with a traditional winch on it.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I was goin to suggest the udea of spacing it up myself. So far, i havent had any issues with the line coming off the spool. Ive seen alot of people use this type of winch without problems
indybama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:40 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

It’s kind of ghetto, but I have a converted traxxas servo winch I was thinking of using. I hadn’t even thought about spool clearance. I’m sure there’s plenty of room under the body? I haven’t even test fit mine yet, lol.

Your build looks great bro! Love the color.

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Been using these for a few years now. Pretty cheap from our local hobby lobby. Ans water based so I can spray it in the basement without getting stoned.

Thanks for the quick reply.

J-rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:46 PM   #13
JMo

Quote:
Yes it helps a lot! Can the servo winch with the spool be spaced upwards a little to eliminate any contact? Does the rope spool back on ok or is it a pain to keep it on the spool? If it is going to be a pain I may just look into building a bumper with a traditional winch on it.
You could maybe space the servo up a little, but I don't think it would be enough to completely clear the upper link mount, particularly as [depending on the size of the spool drum you use] you might then find the spool then rubs on the servo mount/chassis instead... also, I think if the spool were much higher you may find the rope doesn't spool as neatly - currently it seems to spool really well with the rope essentially horizontal as it is in the photos above.

If you're not too concerned with retaining the maximum approach angle, then yes, a traditional bumper mounted winch might well be the better option if you want to retain absolute maximum articulation on that side.

Unfortunately you're going to have to compromise one way or the other I feel... or just don't install a winch at all of course!
JMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:46 AM   #14

I ran the reefs 800 internal winch in the ultra and I ended up using some smaller ball ends to shim it up and clear the axle, I haven’t had a chance to look at my pheonix yet but I’m assuming I’ll be doing the same thing
Dino21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino21 View Post
I ran the reefs 800 internal winch in the ultra and I ended up using some smaller ball ends to shim it up and clear the axle, I haven稚 had a chance to look at my pheonix yet but I知 assuming I値l be doing the same thing
any pics?
Old 11-12-2021, 05:31 PM   #16

I don稚 have any pics of the ultra cuz a driveshaft rolled over my phone and have sold it, but I知 picking up an 800 right now so I値l try and get some pics for you tonight
Old 11-12-2021, 07:50 PM   #17

I shave the back side a bit to clear the wiring on install, and I cut out the front reinforcement piece to clear room for the winch line, I値l end up shaving the guide also, I used m4 nuts to shim it up, as I hit full compression it just touches the rod end and I tryd to show it and I can only post one pic at a time apparently

Old 11-12-2021, 07:50 PM   #18

Old 11-12-2021, 07:51 PM   #19

Old 11-12-2021, 07:52 PM   #20

The terrible phoenix - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Terrible Noob with Terrible Questions. MogollonMonster Newbie General 6 12-11-2016 04:47 PM
The Terrible hammer terrible Vaterra Twin Hammers 19 07-02-2013 05:41 PM
I'm looking for Terrible One! Going Up! Chit Chat 4 02-13-2006 07:26 PM
Arizona, Phoenix, PARC (Phoenix Arizona Rock Crawlers) kevinlongisland Competition Results 5 12-18-2005 03:20 PM