Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: The terrible VS-410

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2021, 04:20 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default The terrible VS-410

I liked my phoenix so much I asked Santa Claus for a 410 for Christmas. The build was similar to my phoenix. Couple little snags with the transmission and I fried my dig servo during the build. I was trying to set up the electronics and the servo was between neutral and fwd just sitting in a bind. I smoked that one but had a spare. I'll have some body off pics later with more specs on the build but here are a few pics of the 1st ride.

terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The terrible VS-410

If you don"t strap down your cooler, you're gonna lose your lunch...lol

Seriously, looks good...besides, blue is my favorite color (well, one of my two favs).

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Very nice truck! Make sure to include electronics setup and gearing you chose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:30 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Gearing is whatever came stock with the truck. I like that they include a pinion, even if it isn't what you want to run it's something to start with.

The box in the bed is bolted through the floor, I'd like to find some cheap scale-ish bungy cords to put across it though.

Still trying to work up something to hook my winch anchor to in the bed. With my phoenix I can just hook it to a tree saver strap I keep around the cage. I'll figure something out. Maybe a couple small U-bolts through the bed floor and some leftover 250# winch line?

Electronics aren't too fancy, mamba X, 2280 slate motor, powerhobby 729 steering and 209 dig servos. reefs 800is winch and a futaba r2006gs receiver and my trusty 7pxr. Still running my powerhobby 3s 4200 packs as well. I'd like to find/print a smaller battery cradle to hold the short pack better.

If time allows (and I'm motivated) I'd like to make a roll bar for the cab. This truck does side-hill a little better than the phoenix and I find that I was trying every spot I could and I ended up flopping the truck a lot (no fault of its own just trying to find the limits). With lexan being so expensive anymore I'd be better off investing in a little bit of a cage to protect the cab. The inner fenders are nice but rubbed through my fancy paint in a few miles. I'll maybe touch it up or just put a few stickers over it ;)

Also I printed a really nice receiver box from thingiverse. I know it was from another member on here so thanks for that!

And lots of lockedup rc hardware!

For cheap servos I really like these power hobby unit's. My LHS carries a lot of them.

And my winch servo buried in there too.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:59 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Came up with this after looking at the parts trees leftover from my phoenix kit. Couple little wire holders I think. used a few of the 1/64th screws and ta-da!

Old 01-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'm having a hell of a time keeping the king pin screws in the knuckles. I used blue locktite when I built them (it was the push-pop type that may have been old) and they still came loose after a couple hours. This time I pulled the inserts out of the axle, cleaned and de-greased them and the same with the screws and I used good green wicking locktite. If that doesn't work I'm going to buy a new bottle of blue liquid and hope for the best.

it's really bumming me out as I had such high hopes for these axles. The way the inserts wiggle around in the aluminum housing kind of pisses me off. I figured they should be machined perfectly given the price. I love the idea of the design and wish the 60 series axles had this style but not if they are going to get loose twice per run. At least the inserts are replaceable and don't ruin the housing if the threads fail.

And I'm struggling with a tire/wheel choice. I might buy some of the VP 225 hubs to narrow the truck and run a little stiffer foam. The brown wheels just don't jive with the truck well. I think I'll put some blue rings on my SSD silver rock racers and try those. yesterday i ran the stock general grabbers from my element enduro and they didn't do very well. The compound seems pretty stiff compared to the PB RB2's I've been using. May try some proline tires next.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:52 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Made a few small changes to the truck. Trying to get a little better look and swapped to some blue SSD rings, the jury is still out. I also went to crawler innovations 4.5 comp cut medium foams front and rear, that change was a definite plus. No more tires rolling over when bound up in a turn. Also swapped out the front lower link ends for some 2-3mm longer axial units. The front axle seemed pulled back a little bit and the little extra length helped center it in the wheel well.

The front end approach angle on this little truck is horrible. I may have to cut and raise the front of the frame like I did on a couple of my element trucks. Not something I really want to do to a truck this new but the low-nose is really killing the rock climbing ability.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:01 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

This is the start of my 3 day weekend and it's way too cold to hit the woods so might as well make a few changes I've wanted to do. Hacked the frame horns off the front and raised them to be straight. No more low front bumper. Another side affect was being able to mount the servo winch almost straight with the factory hole in the bumper.

Hope the snow melts soon so I can try it out.

Last edited by terrible; 01-21-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:47 AM   #9
RCC Addict

That came out good, way better approach angle

Old 01-31-2022, 11:58 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

The snow on the ground is killing me. And it's makeing me chop up my trucks. I thought about opening up the whole bed but I wasn't sure how to make an inside that would still look some what scale. I thought about a cage similar to the phoenix but again, no good way to close up the back of the cab. I decided to open up the middle of the bed to give a drop look and show off the fancy gas tank. And I was able to mount my tool box in a lower location as well.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:23 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Dang, that turned out really nice, haven’t seen that done yet.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:31 PM   #12
Slow is the new Fast

Looks good, terrible

With that nice piece between the rear of the frame rails, might as well show it off. The scale bolts, relocated body mounts...
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:29 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Old 02-16-2022, 04:22 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Old 02-28-2022, 03:46 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

So last time out the truck took a hell of a tumble about 30 feet down a hill. I just closed my eyes and waited for the banging to stop while it rolled. Thought all was good but when I got back home the body didn't want to fall onto the body mounts on the front of the truck. After some looking and mesuring it turns out I bent the rear of the frame down about 6mm on one side and 5 on the other. Some one had a whole new phoenix frame in the for sale section so I bought it.

With a little tweaking and bending I was able to get the frame back into shape with the new frame to mesure off of. I'll keep the other frame for a spare since I have some time invested in raising the nose on the front of my factory frame. I may take it back apart in a few weeks to do the same thing to the rear of the frame. Unfortunatly that means I will have to modify where the frame and center section come together. I really like the way the whole frame keys together aroud the front and rear center chassis sections.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:54 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Old 05-16-2022, 10:23 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Made a few changes to the 410 in the last couple months. New shocks, a tool box with a more scale color and some different tires.

So far so good with the shocks. Currently running losi 40wt but I may drop to 25wt after another run. They definitly seal better than the stock incision shocks. The tires need a stiffer insert. I'm thining about trying the CI tuning disks to maintain the contact patch but assit with side hill roll-over of the sidewall.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:25 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Went on vacation to Moab Utah last week. Bought a trailer just to take my own jeep TJ out. Managed to squeeze the tiny truck in the back on some 4x4 trails and broke it out during a few lunch stops. It's a completly different kind of wheeling out there. Seems like as long as you can keep the nose down the truck will climb it.

Old 05-29-2022, 01:30 PM   #19
Go Buckeyes!

Nice pics! That Utah terrain looks beautiful! I would love to venture out west someday to play on them gorgeous red rocks!!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:08 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Been out a few times now with the PB shocks and I've got to say I like them a lot. No leaks, really smooth, great looking. I would like to see more support as far as springs and pistons go but I can print my own pistons and may try some proline springs.

Swapped my CI foams for some 3 Bros 3D printed inserts and I'm going to try them tomorrow. They don't fold over like the CI foams but are still very soft. Just know that if you buy some you need to buy the optional tuning rods if you want to be able to fill the whole insert. They include some but not enough to fill 2 inserts with.

I'm going to order another set for some other tires and pick up some of their tuing disks too.

The terrible VS-410 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vs 410 macz Axial SCX-10 0 11-29-2018 04:45 PM
Terrible Noob with Terrible Questions. MogollonMonster Newbie General 6 12-11-2016 04:47 PM
Novak 410 m5 Dragon51 Electronics 4 12-29-2007 07:13 AM
novak 410-M5 ?????????? nitromtcrawler Electronics 3 04-01-2007 05:27 AM