Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: First kit build was a phoenix and its not done!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2022, 10:04 AM   #1

Default First kit build was a phoenix and its not done!

I finished my first ever kit build! This is my first 1/10 rig and there were some issues I had figuring out electronics and finding that the giant yellow sheet was a masking set for the windows after I already used tape and had the paint curing. Overall this was an amazing process and a very well thought out kit.
Lomanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #2

Default Re: First kit build was a phoenix and its not done!

I can't post pictures thru my phone so whenever I fire up the genny I'll have my computer going to detail how the build went.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:25 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

A nice first kit to build, congratulations
stigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:53 PM   #4

Got the kit together in 1 night a couple days before i had to pack and leave with the idea being to run it the next day.... next day i was at the RC shop troubleshooting/warrantying a brand new spektrum 6 channel reciever. fast forward to now we realized theres some settings in the DX5C that make it hard to bind at first. I took the brake completely off in the transmitter and turned exponential steering off and was able to bind the reciever. the reciever takes some time to boot up but when it comes on the mamba x comes to life and loved being calibrated. we were having major issues getting it to work with the reciever that came with the dx5c. theres been a wave of people buying the dx5c and dx5c rugged/spektrum 6100at bundle. and we all ran into the same issue. the reciever needs some time to boot up. we were expecting it to boot up like the older recievers we were putting in the truck to test it. made us think the reciever was dead on arrival. bad enough the RC shop was just bundling spektrum 515 recievers with the dx5c.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2022, 04:03 PM   #5

those were the only issues. meat and potatoes was there. the kit was wonderfully packaged and those building this kit LOOK FOR THE REPLACEMENT SHOCK COLLARS they are in a bag by themselves. the ones on the tree are too soft. the threads flex and jam up really easily. theyll slam on in a pinch but the ones in the bag are of a higher standard. they go on like butter, hold their position, and are easy to adjust. i did not install dig or overdrive servos as i went kinda spendy on motor/esc and tx/rx. shes a solid rig with no dig! im going to do the ol nitrile glove mod on the dig and od levers, however because next paycheck i will slap some servos in there and connect it up. i feel like it will offset my esc mounted to the passenger skid.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2022, 05:05 PM   #6

Now I've just been tidying up the wiring, securing the reciever, placed some clear plastic over the servo winch mount and made a pass thru for the on switch to mount to. Now I just poke my finger through the steering links and turn it on and off in the field. Got some nice ssd wheels when I went to get the warrantied reciever and it's ready to crawl for a while before I start figuring out what kind of performance I wanna get out of it. Now that's its at a point I can wheel I just need to grab some paint t9 touch the window trim up because my custom mask job wasn't the best.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2022, 05:20 PM   #7

The bed will also be added the same time I lay some paint in the window trim. I'll paint it up with the same blue with black/silver flake. The flakes don't show much but when they do it looks like a blue bass boat is trying to come out from deep within. I think doing the window trim will make the imperfections only noticeable up close and all this knowledge will go towards a future truck paint job. I did pretty good for working out of a camper I think
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2022, 05:26 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Looking good! Good choice of electronics as well.

People don’t typically like the vxt’s but man that sucker crawls upside down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:20 AM   #9

The control this thing has on the rocks was absolutely satisfying. Easy to slide up and over things that you don't even have the clearance for. Just don't hang a pumpkin up is all I've seen so far. The portals lend themselves really well to the low climb rocky obstacles. It doesn't flex an insane amount but was exactly the kind of weight transfer I was hoping it would have. Any 1 corner isn't too heavy to throw it around with how slow you can crawl it and take the time to make small adjustments. I would really love to make some tube bumpers.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2022, 01:02 AM   #10

The control this thing has on the rocks was absolutely satisfying. Easy to slide up and over things that you don't even have the clearance for. Just don't hang a pumpkin up is all I've seen so far. The portals lend themselves really well to the low climb rocky obstacles. It doesn't flex an insane amount but was exactly the kind of weight transfer I was hoping it would have. The brass in the axles that they give you seems to be perfect for the weight of it now.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:58 AM   #11
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomanman View Post
I finished my first ever kit build!
Great job on your first kit build ever! Good choice! Them SSD wheels sure do look nice on there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post

I wish my VXT's gripped as good as those do!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:28 PM   #12

Seems like the wheels gave the tires a little better shape to them. They aren't as skinny middle but ballooned at the tread. They are more squared off now. The beads mount a little more even with the edge of the tread now.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:59 PM   #13

I wanted to paint the radiator and have it visible. So I cut out the grill and painted the radiator white so it'll show in that dark little crevice it sits in. This thread is now in real time whereas I was just catching everything up in an unorganized way.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2022, 02:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Looking good! Good choice of electronics as well.

Thanks! It's been a blast and getting to finally work it I'm seeing the vxts like to find traction rather than have it before hand lol
Old 05-09-2022, 02:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Great job on your first kit build ever! Good choice! Them SSD wheels sure do look nice on there!

I wish my VXT's gripped as good as those do!
I think I'm sold on the kits now too. It was nice just sitting in the shop n laying out a bunch of stuff and choosing what sounded like the direction I wanted.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:53 PM   #16

Finished the bed today and I knew coming back and doing the paint would end up different. Itll catch up to the rash that the cab has I'm sure. I added steel +3mm offset ssd hubs to compliment the ssd wheels. I was able to run the proline krawlers gaining tire under the fender but keeping a similar amount of tire outside the fender. I'll test her out tomorrow and probably do a lil comp soon with it
Attached Images

Tags
phoenix, shock collar, vanquish, vs 4-10

First kit build was a phoenix and its not done! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SloDon tries a Phoenix build. SloDon Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 19 01-21-2023 06:50 PM
Woodys Vs410 Phoenix build. KyWoody General Crawlers 2 03-17-2022 12:34 PM
TK421! Why aren't you at you post? (Pic heavy Phoenix build) TK421 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 6 11-27-2021 10:52 AM
MyJrBear's VS-410 Phoenix Rising Build myjrbear Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 9 11-12-2021 12:31 AM
SCX10 II Kit Build Thread (First Kit Build&First Crawler) KrAwLeRFiNaTiC 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 02-20-2018 09:02 PM