Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Steve's VS410 Phoenix Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2023, 11:51 AM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: Steve's VS410 Phoenix Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven McKay View Post
Trying to find out what link set to use for VFD trans and D44 axles. I don't think it makes a difference between the VFD and the VFD twin. According to VP the link set to use is the INCISION TITANIUM VS4-10 PRO 10PC LINK KIT IRC00300. Is there a stainless steel version? Can I use the INCISION VS4-10 F10 1/4 STAINLESS STEEL 10PC LINK KIT IRC00303?

Correct, vfd or vfd twin doesn’t change anything with the links.

To the best of my knowledge, that set would work except for the tie rod, and possibly the drag link, and the panhard.

D44 are based on scx10.2 axles, so the incision 10.2 set would work except for the panhard and maybe drag link.

A vs410 pro link set would work perfectly, but I don’t see a stainless version listed. They can be found for about $35 on Facebook sometimes.

I would contact Vp direct and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2023, 12:17 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Correct, vfd or vfd twin doesn’t change anything with the links.

To the best of my knowledge, that set would work except for the tie rod, and possibly the drag link, and the panhard.

D44 are based on scx10.2 axles, so the incision 10.2 set would work except for the panhard and maybe drag link.

A vs410 pro link set would work perfectly, but I don’t see a stainless version listed. They can be found for about $35 on Facebook sometimes.

I would contact Vp direct and see what they say.

Thanks. As I was looking around at VP at the axles, the same link kit IRC00303 is used for both the Phoenix straight and portal kits. I emailed VP and asked "Hello, is the link set for the Phoenix straight axle the same as the Phoenix portal? Also what stainless steel link set should I use for a Phoenix and D44 axles". VP responded "The D44 axle set would be a Phoenix straight axle kit direct drop in and you don't need a separate link kit. The link set for the Phoenix Straight axle and and Phoenix Portal are very similar with the exception to the panhard and drag link length, you can however adjust the rod ends location to get the axle location correct". So It be the INCISION VS4-10 F10 1/4 STAINLESS STEEL 10PC LINK KIT, same link kit used for the Phoenix straight axle.
Steven McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:35 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

In a different thread "twade984" posted quote

"Comparing links in the portal and straight Phoenix manuals, it looks like the differences are:

Front upper link: 106mm straight/110mm portal
Panhard/drag link: 98mm straight/93mm portal
Tie rod: 148mm straight/145.5mm portal

Rears appear to be basically the same.

If you use 80mm shocks then you might find the portal panhard and drag link close enough"

What about the front lower links? On second thought I'll get the pro link set, was trying to save some dough. Thanks again twade984. I guess the front lower links would be made to fit given the measurements of the upper link.

Last edited by Steven McKay; 02-03-2023 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:30 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Unfortunately (for me at least) vp has made it slightly confusing by changing tie rod length for the f10 portal axle, and using slightly different lengths between pro/ultra and f10 portal/straight.

And to make matters worse, the Phoenix straight axle kit comes with spacers to be used on the panhard and drag link, I think to give more adjustment depending on shock length/ride height.

Fwiw I just used the titanium link set included with my Phoenix portal builders bundle to install an f10 straight front, with a portal rear on a vs410 chassis. Using 80mm shocks, and turning the tie rod end out a few turns everything lines up great

I feel like I’m adding to the confusion, so I’ll leave it at that

Old 02-03-2023, 07:18 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Unfortunately (for me at least) vp has made it slightly confusing by changing tie rod length for the f10 portal axle, and using slightly different lengths between pro/ultra and f10 portal/straight.

And to make matters worse, the Phoenix straight axle kit comes with spacers to be used on the panhard and drag link, I think to give more adjustment depending on shock length/ride height.

Fwiw I just used the titanium link set included with my Phoenix portal builders bundle to install an f10 straight front, with a portal rear on a vs410 chassis. Using 80mm shocks, and turning the tie rod end out a few turns everything lines up great

I feel like I’m adding to the confusion, so I’ll leave it at that

Thanks. I just emailed VP to see if I can obtain a Phoenix straight axle manual, so I can compare. VP's Phoenix straight axle kit came back in stock as I was emailing them. I'm tempted.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:47 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

The rest of my electronics are on the way:
Spektrum 2S Smart LiPo Hard Case 50C w/IC5 Connector
Spektrum 3S Smart LiPo Hard Case 50C w/IC5 Connector
Spektrum RC S155 G2 AC Smart Charger (2-4S/5A/55W)
Flysky FS-GT5 6CH RC Transmitter with FS BS6 Receiver

I was lucky the Transmitter with FS BS6 Receiver was only 56.49. Now all I need is wire and soldering iron. Couldn't find my soldering iron but that's ok cause it was my dad's which means it was at least 65 years old seriously.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:58 AM   #87
RCC Addict

Quote:
The rest of my electronics are on the way:
Spektrum 2S Smart LiPo Hard Case 50C w/IC5 Connector
Spektrum 3S Smart LiPo Hard Case 50C w/IC5 Connector
Spektrum RC S155 G2 AC Smart Charger (2-4S/5A/55W)
Flysky FS-GT5 6CH RC Transmitter with FS BS6 Receiver

I was lucky the Transmitter with FS BS6 Receiver was only 56.49. Now all I need is wire and soldering iron. Couldn't find my soldering iron but that's ok cause it was my dad's which means it was at least 65 years old seriously.

Good score on the gt5, that’s what I use and it’s hard to beat for the money

Old 02-04-2023, 08:38 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Good score on the gt5, that’s what I use and it’s hard to beat for the money

Thanks, and that included shipping. While looking for a good price some places had it marked as discontinued, not a good sign. Even Flysky doesn't list the FS-BS6 on it's website, except as a accessory to the FS-GT5. For anybody looking for a GT5 I bought mine at Gloslowie based in CA.

Last edited by Steven McKay; 02-04-2023 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:55 AM   #89
Quarry Creeper

I visited RP today and there all out of interceptor frames except for the stainless ones. I wanted a red aluminum one. But I did happen to find a rear bumper that I liked. It's for a TRX-4 but I'm mulling over a few mounting options. Once I have it I'll know more.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2023, 07:45 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

This 1/1 bumper is the one I really like, I don't recall what vehicle it was made for. I was getting ready to order some 6061 from cut 2 size metals and mill it out myself, but I would need .75 to do it and at this point in time with shipping it wouldn't be cheap. Maybe I'll do it along with a front bumper for my upcoming flatbed. The TRX-4 aluminum bumper looks close enough and gives me the hitch mount. It also comes with all the items in the photo in post #89 and was only 19.98 with shipping. The VP front bumper is ok but I'm looking to upgrade it too.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2023, 07:47 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

VP emailed me back and gave me a Phoenix straight axle manual pdf. The links for the straight and portal are definitely different, according to the manuals. The portal drag and panhard links have flared ends and all rod ends are basically screwed tight. The straight axle drag and panhard links are straight no flared end and are not screwed tight. Also the straight axle tie rod is not screwed tight but (but not by much) has a spacer. I can't give measurements because the straight is a pdf. And even if the size ratio was correct I'm not throwing my calipers on my monitor. I'll have measurements soon cause I just placed a order with VP for a Phoenix straight axle just to get the manual. I figured up the cost of the parts that I'll use from the kit and it went over 400,00 so instead of piecing it, I just ordered it. I might use the twin trans but if I do I won't use the dig or od. I also went to RP and amazingly some interceptor chassis were back in stock so I bought a nice red one and two element servo trays. Then it was time to go to KNK for a Phoenix straight axle ss hardware kit.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2023, 08:15 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Question: What channels should I use for dig and od with the gt5? 5 and 6? Just realized the Phoenix straight axle I ordered doesn't come with the free machined gears! That's ok cause I forgot to use then in my portal!

Last edited by Steven McKay; 02-06-2023 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:08 AM   #93
RCC Addict

I use ch 5 for o/d n 6 for dig. I tried dig on ch3, but it would get stuck in nuetral, at the worst possible time. It screwed me on course 2 at scale nats, so i went back to ch6 for dig.

Love the VP kits, they go together so smooth. Ive got a phoenix kit n both builders bundles, plus got one of the portal bb kits for my son for his bday
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:14 AM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
I use ch 5 for o/d n 6 for dig. I tried dig on ch3, but it would get stuck in nuetral, at the worst possible time. It screwed me on course 2 at scale nats, so i went back to ch6 for dig.

Love the VP kits, they go together so smooth. Ive got a phoenix kit n both builders bundles, plus got one of the portal bb kits for my son for his bday
Thanks, and I wish you the best of luck on your next run. So far I haven't run into a problem with VP. That answers about all the questions I have at this time. All I need to do is wire it up, setup my gt5 and see how she rolls. Maybe one day I'll paint it.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:21 AM   #95
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks, and I wish you the best of luck on your next run. So far I haven't run into a problem with VP. That answers about all the questions I have at this time. All I need to do is wire it up, setup my gt5 and see how she rolls. Maybe one day I'll paint it.

I have a Phoenix kit at the same stage, all assembled just need to setup electronics and paint the body… I hate painting though.

Considering this as inspiration my next livery

Old 02-07-2023, 08:45 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I have a Phoenix kit at the same stage, all assembled just need to setup electronics and paint the body… I hate painting though.

Considering this as inspiration my next livery

That's one pretty crawler, but your tow line is dragging.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:27 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

I don't know if I'll be getting my gt5 from the merchant. All I have is a paypal receipt. I tried calling and the line is disconnected, so I sent a email. Not a good sign. I'll be contacting my bank soon if I don't get a reply to my email.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:01 PM   #98

Quote:
Question: What channels should I use for dig and od with the gt5? 5 and 6? Just realized the Phoenix straight axle I ordered doesn't come with the free machined gears! That's ok cause I forgot to use then in my portal!
I just finished mine and went with channels 5 and 6 after getting that advice from the forum. Haven't set up the dig yet but the OD was pretty straight forward and works great. Biggest trick was getting the endpoints to line up with the full range of motion on the dial. I then scored the plastic and marked with some model paint. I also reversed the direction which made it feel more natural to me.

HMNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:22 AM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMNYC View Post
I just finished mine and went with channels 5 and 6 after getting that advice from the forum. Haven't set up the dig yet but the OD was pretty straight forward and works great. Biggest trick was getting the endpoints to line up with the full range of motion on the dial. I then scored the plastic and marked with some model paint. I also reversed the direction which made it feel more natural to me.

Thanks, 5 and 6 is what I'll be using, all the good people here are definitely a great help and support. This is my first rc vehicle, I have never even held a transmitter in my hands yet. But I don't no if you can have have the end points line up with the ends of the full range of motion. It seems to me that the end points would be short of the full range of motion. But you could mark them as you did. I'll find out soon enough.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:39 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I don't know if I'll be getting my gt5 from the merchant. All I have is a paypal receipt. I tried calling and the line is disconnected, so I sent a email. Not a good sign. I'll be contacting my bank soon if I don't get a reply to my email.
Yes, I think I've been had. Come to find out the phone # to the CA based merchant is a Illinois phone #.

Steve's VS410 Phoenix Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RedHarris's VS410 Phoenix Build Redharris Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 1 11-20-2022 08:31 AM
Doomp's VS410 Phoenix Doomp Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 40 04-08-2022 10:15 AM
Woodys Vs410 Phoenix build. KyWoody General Crawlers 2 03-17-2022 12:34 PM
VS410 Phoenix? Doomp General Crawlers 23 03-15-2022 08:13 AM