Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Steve's VS410 Phoenix Build II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2023, 01:47 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Steve's VS410 Phoenix Build II

Oh I'm loving that tailgate

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2023, 03:45 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Oh I'm loving that tailgate

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Thanks. And I couldn't resist another bedcover to cover the clutter. Flat dark earth-fall. The tailgate was made from 550 cord with the internal cord removed and a little superglue.
Attached Images

Last edited by Steven McKay; 04-17-2023 at 03:51 PM.
Steven McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 06:21 AM   #63
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven McKay View Post
I just had to make another tailgate. And the lights are 120 grit.
I like the tailgate! Super simple and looks great! Nice idea!

Mr. Beef Tubes would love those taillights! Being that he is 80 grit and all!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 08:22 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I like the tailgate! Super simple and looks great! Nice idea!

Mr. Beef Tubes would love those taillights! Being that he is 80 grit and all!
Thanks. Almost finished, I kinda got a wiper outa wack. Wonder what I was smoking.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2023, 09:56 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Looking good.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 05:55 AM   #66
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Thanks. Almost finished, I kinda got a wiper outa wack. Wonder what I was smoking.
Looks great! Nice, clean look!

Whatever it is, pass it my way!
Old 04-22-2023, 04:04 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Sharing is caring
Awesome rig!
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 04:48 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic17 View Post
Looking good.
Thanks, it's coming together.

Quote:
Looks great! Nice, clean look!

It was Purple swashy and I was swashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
Sharing is caring
Awesome rig!
It's in the mail, I swear.

The body is finished..............for now. I added anti skid plates to the rear fenders, I'll blacken the screws. Think I'll change the wheels, get studs and bolts and black caps. Then I added a little flair.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2023, 07:55 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

I have finished my rig and test drove it. We have a problem Houston. The right side of the body lifts up when I go into reverse. At first I thought the body was rubbing on the tires but that is not the cause even though I have the shocks mounted with the low rod ends. I also noted that the G8 tires seem to grab the carpet a lot more than the predator tires on my portal even crinkling when in a tight turn. Then I started to think (not done often) about it and then it hit me, it must be the panhard link and possibly the drag link. I took a look at how they are and it does look like they could be extended, I believe I have them screwed almost tight like the portal. So if someone could confirm my assumption before I start working on it, it would be appreciated.
Old 04-25-2023, 03:20 PM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Still looking for help, I took off the drag and panhard link and they are just barely short of stock spec. Take note that I used these shorter rod ends for the shocks. Instructions say you can shorten the links for shorter shocks. But I still don't know which way to go longer or shorter. This post follows above post, read post 69 first. Thanks. I think the drag and panhard link should be extended but things are not always the way they seem.
Attached Images

Last edited by Steven McKay; 04-25-2023 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 05:39 AM   #71

when adjusting panhard/ steering, look at your truck from the front with steering centered, each front shock should be the same distance from the frame, vertically each shock should be straight up/down
Axle Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:17 AM   #72

edit-when doing this check make sure your lower shock pivot balls are the same on both sides, just want to center the axle and this is the only way I know to do this.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:22 AM   #73
RCC Addict

Quote:
I have finished my rig and test drove it. We have a problem Houston. The right side of the body lifts up when I go into reverse. At first I thought the body was rubbing on the tires but that is not the cause even though I have the shocks mounted with the low rod ends. I also noted that the G8 tires seem to grab the carpet a lot more than the predator tires on my portal even crinkling when in a tight turn. Then I started to think (not done often) about it and then it hit me, it must be the panhard link and possibly the drag link. I took a look at how they are and it does look like they could be extended, I believe I have them screwed almost tight like the portal. So if someone could confirm my assumption before I start working on it, it would be appreciated.

Are you only noticing this on a high traction surfaces like carpet? Also what o/d % is the trans in?

I’m wondering if it could be a normal characteristic based on o/d and high traction causing the front suspension to lift since the front tires are trying to move faster than the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:58 AM   #74

Twade is correct due to torque twist in reverse, the right side will lift, in forward the driver side will lift. this is more predominate in straight axle versus portal due to the gear reduction in the portals
Old 04-26-2023, 10:45 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Are you only noticing this on a high traction surfaces like carpet? Also what o/d % is the trans in?

I’m wondering if it could be a normal characteristic based on o/d and high traction causing the front suspension to lift since the front tires are trying to move faster than the rear.

Thanks. First, I was wrong about the lower shock ends. I was going to use them but didn't and thought I did. I have it locked in low OD and it responds the same on linoleum too, to a lesser extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle Scott View Post
Twade is correct due to torque twist in reverse, the right side will lift, in forward the driver side will lift. this is more predominate in straight axle versus portal due to the gear reduction in the portals
Thanks. I believe your both right, it's natural for this to happen. Now that I think about it I think my portal did this too but to a lesser amount. I was going to get my portal out today and see how much it lifted up. I had taken off both links and added two turns, to no avail. Before I did this the alignment was fine so I'll just put it back the way it was. One problem I discovered is whenever you start flipping your rig over to work on it the shocks start leaking. I'm going to have to find better shocks. Thanks again guys.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:19 AM   #76
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks. First, I was wrong about the lower shock ends. I was going to use them but didn't and thought I did. I have it locked in low OD and it responds the same on linoleum too, to a lesser extent.

Thanks. I believe your both right, it's natural for this to happen. Now that I think about it I think my portal did this too but to a lesser amount. I was going to get my portal out today and see how much it lifted up. I had taken off both links and added two turns, to no avail. Before I did this the alignment was fine so I'll just put it back the way it was. One problem I discovered is whenever you start flipping your rig over to work on it the shocks start leaking. I'm going to have to find better shocks. Thanks again guys.

I’ve had several sets of s8e’s leak at the bleeder screw, the screws tend to strip the threads in the cap before tightening enough to seal anything. I’ve also had one whole cap come loose somehow.

If yours are leaking there also, you might try the machined aluminum caps VP sells for them

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:56 AM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I’ve had several sets of s8e’s leak at the bleeder screw, the screws tend to strip the threads in the cap before tightening enough to seal anything. I’ve also had one whole cap come loose somehow.

If yours are leaking there also, you might try the machined aluminum caps VP sells for them

Thanks, I'll have to find out where there leaking from first was busy with the links. If there leaking from the bleeder screw it might be due to not being tight enough, I was being careful not to crush the teflon bleeder screw washer. If there leaking from the cap, I'll try the aluminum caps.
Old 04-27-2023, 04:47 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

I tightened the shock collars down about halfway on the portal to compensate for the heavier tailgate. Did the same for the straight axle. Took the straight axle out for a it's first spin around the backyard rock course. It did surprisingly well, I think it has better stock foams than my Hyrax tires. I haven't dived into different foams yet just stock. But the PL BFGoodrich Krawler T/A KX tires seem to have good foams and they grab very well. Yea I'm happy.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2023, 01:09 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

I decided to use the same tag as my portal, so I had Ohio change the law since I'm a VIP and all.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2023, 05:23 PM   #80
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
I decided to use the same tag as my portal, so I had Ohio change the law since I'm a VIP and all.
It's a good thing Ohio changed the law and did away with the front plate! Now 2 plates ordered are good for 2 rigs!!!

Glad to hear you had them change the law. Most all of my rigs run the same plate. Good thing I only drive one at a time!

Steve's VS410 Phoenix Build II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steve's VS410 Phoenix Build Steven McKay Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 175 05-03-2023 05:25 PM
RedHarris's VS410 Phoenix Build Redharris Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 1 11-20-2022 08:31 AM
Woodys Vs410 Phoenix build. KyWoody General Crawlers 2 03-17-2022 12:34 PM
VS410 Phoenix? Doomp General Crawlers 23 03-15-2022 08:13 AM