Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Steve's VS410 Phoenix Build II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2023, 06:37 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Steve's VS410 Phoenix Build II

Originally I was going to use this kit and part it out for my flatbed. But have decided to build it. I will build my flatbed at a later date. I started my axles and when I started the rear axle I wondered why I had just 3 5x11x4mm bearings when the instructions show 5. I wondered why the axles where out so far and saw the pin hole out so far with the end caps on. I preceded to install the bearings the way the opposing page showed and of course it all came together.
Attached Images

Steven McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2023, 01:53 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Steve's VS410 Phoenix Build II

Started to work on the chassis today. I also decided on a motor today, thanks tigris99. I just finished ordering all these parts today.

1. Fusion Pro 2300kv
2. RS800 V2 Ultra High Torque Brushless Servo
3. Vanquish Products VFD Aluminum Light Weight Motor plate (Black)
4. Vanquish Products VFD Aluminum Standoffs (Black)
5. Vanquish Products 20mm Aluminum Clamping Servo Horn
6. SR515 receiver
Old 03-05-2023, 04:22 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Following to see how it turns out.
Ballistic17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:24 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

Good start. Following along!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:23 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys, one question about the front axle: Do you use the two M2.5x10mm screws that limit the steering. I believe I have them as far in as I would like and don't believe that I have full steering, close to 45 but I thought the Phoenix had 50 degree steering.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:36 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven McKay View Post
Thanks guys, one question about the front axle: Do you use the two M2.5x10mm screws that limit the steering. I believe I have them as far in as I would like and don't believe that I have full steering, close to 45 but I thought the Phoenix had 50 degree steering.

The screws should bottom out completely into the housing, and they do have a great amount of steering, even with the stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:03 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
The screws should bottom out completely into the housing, and they do have a great amount of steering, even with the stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I should have run a depth gauge down that hole, I was worried about stripping it out.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:23 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I finished the chassis, but somehow I lost the little piece that goes to the rear receiver box. So I made one from a piece of scrape G10 I had, not perfect but I'll work. I used a marker on it to color it black.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2023, 05:10 AM   #9

Looking good! I'm at about the same exact point. I'm glad I clicked on your thread because I totally missed the steering limit screw thing in the manual and wondered why I had two screws left over,
BLUJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:46 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUJEEP View Post
Looking good! I'm at about the same exact point. I'm glad I clicked on your thread because I totally missed the steering limit screw thing in the manual and wondered why I had two screws left over,
Glad I could be of help, that's what it's all about. When I started my first Phoenix I didn't know squat, still don't but I know more than I did. There's a lot of good people here to help when needed. Now I'm drinking coffee and waiting by the window for usps to deliver my motor plate and standoffs.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven McKay View Post
Glad I could be of help, that's what it's all about. When I started my first Phoenix I didn't know squat, still don't but I know more than I did. There's a lot of good people here to help when needed. Now I'm drinking coffee and waiting by the window for usps to deliver my motor plate and standoffs.
Nice! I have a bunch of goodies in the mail also, motor, servo, receiver, etc. The only other crawler kit I've built is an SCX10-II and this seems like much better quality. Maybe that's why I'm more afraid of messing it up.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Nice! I have a bunch of goodies in the mail also, motor, servo, receiver, etc. The only other crawler kit I've built is an SCX10-II and this seems like much better quality. Maybe that's why I'm more afraid of messing it up.
You'll be fine, that's exactly how I was. One thing I won't do is use a power screwdriver. I have more patience than that. Then there's the soldering, worrying about melting my ESC and such it's all new to me. That's one reason I'm going to use the Fusion Pro, and if I didn't then I would use bullet connectors were I could. My SR515 receiver, motor plate, standoffs and VP 20mm servo horn came finally. Now I can start my tranny. All I need is for my motor and servo to show up.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Started my tranny. I have also been working on a crawler course in my back yard. I used part of a old plastic slide, the Phoenix won't go up it's too slippery have to score it or something. And I found out the rock course is too narrow and needs more natural rock but it's a work in progress. I'm using the tarp to kill the vines that would get tangled in the axles. I had my first run.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2023, 02:59 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

My first run.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2023, 03:38 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I ran into something different building the tranny. I was at the point of building the tranny in the photo and looked over at the parts I had left. I saw a small shaft that resembled the idler shaft but with threaded ends. I couldn't figure it out at first, I watched vids on building both the VFD and the VFD twin. I noticed the plastic bearing plates had a standoff two piece half on each one. I looked at my bearing plates and there was no standoff, I then realized that they were aluminum and that small shaft was the standoff. Originally I was going to ask what it was, but now my question is did I get lucky or does the aluminum bearing plate kit come with the straight axle kit. The idler shaft is next to it in the photo. And my last question is before I go over to see if I have to back up is at what point and how do I install it.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2023, 03:56 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Just figured it out, only one end is threaded allowing you to slide it in. The second bearing plate is the threaded one. Thank god. I thought both ends were threaded, which was leading me to a meltdown.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:39 PM   #17

Looking good! I'm right behind you, have the first couple of steps done on the trans. Are you using a metal motor plate and stand offs? I'm just using the stock ones, I hope that it's all stiff enough to not move around too much when installed in the truck. This is way more complicated than any tranny I've built before.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:43 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Looking good! I'm right behind you, have the first couple of steps done on the trans. Are you using a metal motor plate and stand offs? I'm just using the stock ones, I hope that it's all stiff enough to not move around too much when installed in the truck. This is way more complicated than any tranny I've built before.
Thanks, yes I have the metal motor plate and stand offs.
Old 03-11-2023, 04:43 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Finished the motor/tranny, had a little sanding to do. The front right top link mount had to be sanded a little to except the 37mm can. I also installed my RS800 V2 steering servo. Is this too much servo? I could wait and put this on my flatbed with metal axles.
Attached Images

Last edited by Steven McKay; 03-11-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:55 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Anyone know were I can get a adaptor plug ic5 to xt60 with jst or should I just make my own. Really don't want to use two adaptor plugs.

Steve's VS410 Phoenix Build II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steve's VS410 Phoenix Build Steven McKay Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 175 05-03-2023 05:25 PM
RedHarris's VS410 Phoenix Build Redharris Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 1 11-20-2022 08:31 AM
Woodys Vs410 Phoenix build. KyWoody General Crawlers 2 03-17-2022 12:34 PM
VS410 Phoenix? Doomp General Crawlers 23 03-15-2022 08:13 AM