Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: buying a ascended Thursday need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #1

Default buying a ascended Thursday need advice

I would like to get a interior kit and also what I should make.sure to get with the truck. The other thing is should I go with the rtr and upgrade or should I do the kit I don't have 1000 to spend so obviously I won't be able to do anything crazy with it but would like it to be able to compete with the scx trucks in the comps any advice is appreciated. And I have read all the careers posts I'm just looking for extra advice now that some people have had them for a while
bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: buying a ascended Thursday need advice

Shim the diffs and go 4 turns out on the slipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The kit and the RTR are the same truck minus some screws/bolts. The RTR is basically a factory assembled Ascender set at it's longest wheelbase with all the extensions and such in place already.

If you're not in the hobby at all right now the rtr truck is a great place to start. If you've got some stuff laying around (tx/rx, motors, esc, servos) than a kit is a great idea. At this time, starting with the rtr, I've had to upgrade the servo due to it failing on me (with some abuse I'd say), and the front drive shaft broke so I upgraded to mip shafts (also due to some abuse).

Last edited by jaydubya2003; 03-24-2015 at 02:31 PM.
jaydubya2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:43 AM   #4
RCC Addict

As stated above if you don't have the electronics laying around go the RTR route. Must do mods out of the box to keep you on the trails, HD pinion gears and MIPs.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

HD pinion gears is not a must do with the rtr, all of the pinion "horror stories" I've seen come from the very first kit trucks that hit the market and have been attributed to a casting issue with the gears themselves (and Vaterra has been great about getting new parts out to folks).

Shafts I will say seem to break no matter which you buy, and honestly they're plastic...so...yeah not gonna last long. The rtr has waterproof electronics, and for the most part are pretty decent.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #6

A friend in our crawl group has a RTR. He has not driven it very hard or much. This past Saturday he twisted the rear driveshaft and chewed the read pinion bald.
brnc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnc77 View Post
A friend in our crawl group has a RTR. He has not driven it very hard or much. This past Saturday he twisted the rear driveshaft and chewed the read pinion bald.
Well I've had the exact opposite experience with my rtr, so I'd say the HD pinions are a buy it when it breaks kind of situation, same with the driveshafts. Honestly if I hadn't bound up the front end it wouldn't have broken, so I could still be running them after my last comp this past weekend. My stock rear shaft was still intact when I upgraded to MIP shafts.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Depending on if you lhs stocks vaterra parts or not (mine doesnt) its worth it to have a set of pinions and shafts kicking around for the inevitable break. Personally i like to keep spare drivline parts around for any rc i drive.
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

buying a ascended Thursday need advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
advice for anyone buying the spawn krazikev Axial Wraith 9 01-04-2015 10:01 AM
need advice on buying a moa crawler w. cost crawler General Crawlers 12 12-31-2013 01:29 AM
Need advice, buying new remote SunShine Electronics 2 09-21-2012 02:04 PM
Buying Slash 4x4 PE, any advice? crazyorigin Non Crawler RC's 12 02-06-2010 10:23 AM
Spektrum DX3S buying advice grimgard Electronics 3 01-27-2009 11:26 AM