Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Post your shock setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Post your shock setup

I know there are several threads asking about shocks, even I started one, so I figured why not one thread for everyone to post what they have done and how it works. Give as much detail as you can. so I'll start.

Stock build w/ stock shocks. Using a 20T motor and a hard case short LiPo battery, 4400 mha 50C.

I drilled out the hole in the shock piston to .040 but am still using the stock oil. I have my preload set at 10 full turns down from the top. That puts the shock close to 2/5 th's down of it's travel in running weight.

It seems to work good when crawling. Not too much bounce. When running flat out across the grass yard, there is some bounce but not bad. It still has a lot of torque twist though.

Last edited by Crusty Old Shellback; 11-25-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Post your shock setup

The torque twist will have to be reduced using a link riser in the rear, the shocks can help with some but there's only so much we can do with the axle ratio.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Post your shock setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
I know there are several threads asking about shocks, even I started one, so I figured why not one thread for everyone to post what they have done and how it works. Give as much detail as you can. so I'll start.

Stock build w/ stock shocks. Using a 20T motor and a hard case short LiPo battery, 4400 mha 50C.

I drilled out the hole in the shock piston to .040 but am still using the stock oil. I have my preload set at 10 full turns down from the top. That puts the shock close to 2/5 th's down of it's travel in running weight.

It seems to work good when crawling. Not too much bounce. When running flat out across the grass yard, there is some bounce but not bad. It still has a lot of torque twist though.
Good idea. Couple people I know have the GCM rear upper link mount, they said works well but I have not tried it yet. I don't have the RULRs and have not fabbed my own yet either, don't know if I will, play with the shocks first.

Mine is still mostly stock RTR. Motor is stock 35T sealed can, hardcase Orion shorty lipo 4500mah 100C (supposedly lol)
Batteries :: Lipo :: Competition :: Carbon Pro 4500 100C 7.4V Shorty Pack - Team Orion

I'm running stock shocks and pistons, and have read that stock oil is 40wt. I don't know what stock piston hole size is yet, will find out when I open up to drill them out. 0.040" = #60 drill bit, I've read that some hear drilled to 0.0595" = #53 so I'll size the stock holes with my numbered bits and go from there. I like to run at least 30wt oil as it doesn't leak quite as easily as thinner oils, but shocks leaking is not a worry with the Ascender. Spring preload collars are set to just contact the springs with suspension fully un-weighted (set truck on skidplate and turned the adjusters) this gives good ride height. I wish the soft springs were a little softer, the longer second stage springs are stiffer and seem just about perfect.

Mince crawls well, except when one wheel drops into a hole it tends to pull the chassis with it because the damping is too heavy, I've learned to compensate while driving but want to soften it up little bit. Higher speeds it bounces around too much because of the damping.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Post your shock setup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock setup 509hooligan Axial Wraith 7 03-24-2013 06:34 PM
Shock Setup CantonAreaCrawler Redcat Crawlers 5 09-26-2012 04:50 PM
Shock setup JON0529 Axial SCX-10 4 07-01-2011 08:11 AM
shock setup? fulltime4x4 Newbie General 3 04-23-2010 11:49 PM
shock setup BirdHouse Tamiya Clod Buster 2 08-18-2006 11:23 AM