Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: rtr stock esc Qs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default rtr stock esc Qs

on my k-5 the stock esc has 2 positions for the jumper plugs, one for lipo and one for nimd, I put it in nimd position and the truck doesn't have reverse, the nimd position also is a crawler mode, but why don't I have reverse?

Last edited by krazikev; 01-19-2015 at 10:26 AM.
krazikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Sr. Product Developer

Default Re: rtr stock esc Qs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazikev View Post
on my k-5 the stock esc has 2 positions for the jumper plugs, one for lipo and one for nimd, I put it in nimd position and the truck doesn't have reverse, the nimd position also is a crawler mode, but why don't I have reverse?
Changing the plug from Lipo to NiMh should not affect the esc mode. Make sure the ESC is off, and install the plugs so that the pin for the crawler mode is as pictured and have the pin in the NiMH location. Then switch it on and see if this helps.

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Changing the plug from Lipo to NiMh should not affect the esc mode. Make sure the ESC is off, and install the plugs so that the pin for the crawler mode is as pictured and have the pin in the NiMH location. Then switch it on and see if this helps.

Rich
Thanks for the reply but in nickel metal mode I have no reverse. if you look at the picture with the jumper plugs you can see it shows no reverse why
Old 01-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

If your ESC is the same as in the picture, then there are two jumper plugs.... one for driving mode and one for battery mode. If you want NiMH, only the bottom one should be moved to the right most two pins leave the upper jumper in the left most two pin position and you should have NiMH with Crawl mode. If you have the upper jumper in the right most two pins you will only have Forward & Brake (This ESC mode is used for racing I believe...no backy up allowed).

Maybe post a picture of the jumper configuration you are having problems with so further help can be given if required. Also as rich said power it down before playing with either of the jumpers.
willeh_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yes my RTR has this esc with the top one completely removed it has forward/brake, You have to left off the trigger and push it forward again to go in reverse. F/br has no reverse like willeh_ca said, Crawl will have instant reverse regardless off battery selection, If not it's defective. Also if the batt jumper (bottom) is completely removed the esc will default to lipo mode. Horizon has amazing customer service if it is defective, I've experienced it first hand they are top notch!

Last edited by Minirider82; 01-19-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Minirider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazikev View Post
Thanks for the reply but in nickel metal mode I have no reverse. if you look at the picture with the jumper plugs you can see it shows no reverse why
Here is another picture to show the exact setup for the pins. If this doesn't work, then please call our product support team and let them know the issue.

Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Here is another picture to show the exact setup for the pins. If this doesn't work, then please call our product support team and let them know the issue.

thanks so much for this picture it made it clear about the top being driving mode and bottom battery, I was moving both to the right that's why I lost reverse, you guys are great! but heres something odd, I called twice and spoke to 2 different horizon techs and both didn't know to tell me this, they didn't even know why I didn't have reverse!

rtr stock esc Qs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock RTR ARC Axial SCX-10 21 01-22-2012 01:48 AM
Nasty Rumor, The stock esc on the rtr is lipo ready RickM Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 12 02-16-2010 11:27 PM
AX10 RTR with 55t and stock ESC? TOYOTAS Newbie General 3 06-17-2009 04:11 PM
can you run lipo's with stock esc on the RTR ax10 thriller Electronics 9 12-21-2008 03:11 PM
Stock ESC on RTR Deezul Electronics 15 05-31-2008 07:26 AM