Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Broken universal? How to fix in a bind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Broken universal? How to fix in a bind

Hey guys just wanted to share with you what ive done to fix my k5 since last week I broke a universal. I am still waiting for it in the mail so I went ahead and tried this...with sucess

I broke out the box of scx10 parts and got a dog bone and cup. Shoved the dog bone inside the housing till it his the locker. Obviously the locker is sqaure and the scx10 dog bone has just 2 flat spots it needed to be grinded. With VERY minimal grinding to get it sqaure, I cleaned it up and tried it out. Fit just about perfect with the end of the collar to the edge of the chub. Grabbed a bearing used for the scx10 shaft and installed it into the chub. Shaft slides in keeps it level. Now I installed the cup into the knuckle. 1 bearing had to be taken out, the inner bearing. The cup will slide into the knuckle and expose the hole for the pin. You will have to use a standard scx10 pin and 12mm hub or similar, the stock vaterra hub wont work. Bolted it all back together and now my k5 is fixed!

No modifications to the k5 had to be made just a little grinding to the shaft of the scx10 dogbone. I did also try with a cheap universal from china for the same thing and it works, mine just so happens to be snapped lol.

Well I hope this will help someone out in a pinch like it did me.

Hey maybe using the scx10 universals may be stronger than stock vaterras? This might help in that situation as well.

Only took one pic guys but you know what a k5 should look like and this is the modified with scx10 dogbone.

Thanks!

Jfrisch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
20K Club

Default Re: Broken universal? How to fix in a bind

Pic isn't working for me but if I read your post correctly, you are only running one bearing in the knuckle now?

That is definitely not a situation I'd want to run with for long. That really changes the forces on the knuckle and is asking for all kinds of issues. I get trying to get something going in a bind, but...
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Oh trust me its not for long. Im just waiting for them to come in the mail.

Im sure your familiar with the outer cup of these, there is a section that fits into where the bearing would go. I know what you mean though, being that it would be spinning in the knuckle.

For me it was just to have a truck to drive for a trail run this weekend lol.
Jfrisch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrisch01 View Post
Hey guys just wanted to share with you what ive done to fix my k5 since last week I broke a universal. I am still waiting for it in the mail so I went ahead and tried this...with sucess

I broke out the box of scx10 parts and got a dog bone and cup. Shoved the dog bone inside the housing till it his the locker. Obviously the locker is sqaure and the scx10 dog bone has just 2 flat spots it needed to be grinded. With VERY minimal grinding to get it sqaure, I cleaned it up and tried it out. Fit just about perfect with the end of the collar to the edge of the chub. Grabbed a bearing used for the scx10 shaft and installed it into the chub. Shaft slides in keeps it level. Now I installed the cup into the knuckle. 1 bearing had to be taken out, the inner bearing. The cup will slide into the knuckle and expose the hole for the pin. You will have to use a standard scx10 pin and 12mm hub or similar, the stock vaterra hub wont work. Bolted it all back together and now my k5 is fixed!

No modifications to the k5 had to be made just a little grinding to the shaft of the scx10 dogbone. I did also try with a cheap universal from china for the same thing and it works, mine just so happens to be snapped lol.

Well I hope this will help someone out in a pinch like it did me.

Hey maybe using the scx10 universals may be stronger than stock vaterras? This might help in that situation as well.

Only took one pic guys but you know what a k5 should look like and this is the modified with scx10 dogbone.

Thanks!

Good temp fix, I bought spare set of front CVDs when I bought my Ascender...just in case.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Broken universal? How to fix in a bind - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Universal Broken JasonS9 Axial Wraith 22 01-13-2012 11:14 AM
Broken Universal Joints Common? 4low Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 11 01-13-2010 06:49 AM
Steering bind fix AX10 BTA Walterf Tools, and Procedures 4 04-21-2009 04:02 AM
How to fix my broken antena? Rakuda Electronics 7 05-05-2008 09:09 AM
How do i fix my broken chassis? Dana44 General Crawlers 10 04-21-2006 12:59 AM