Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ascender Aluminum Rock Sliders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Ascender Aluminum Rock Sliders

Never liked the plastic Vaterra rock sliders that come on the rig, so I made my own out of 1/16" thick aluminum plate. Actually just ordered the plate to the dimensions (1/16" x 3" x 6") I wanted to tuck between the wheels. Bent the plates in my 6" vise and measured the corners and bent them up to follow the frame and keep from catching on rocks. I like the way they turned out, and they work well on the rocks. Note that if you want to make these yourself you may need a different width. Mine were measured to fit my Pro-line Jeep Cherokee body which is smaller width then the stock blazer body.

Last edited by stillsmokin875; 07-16-2015 at 10:57 AM.
stillsmokin875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Ascender Aluminum Rock Sliders

Looks good. I'm planning to do somthing very similar but ill be putting axial battery plates on the top of each of the supports so i can run bigger batteries.
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMonster View Post
Looks good. I'm planning to do somthing very similar but ill be putting axial battery plates on the top of each of the supports so i can run bigger batteries.
As small as the lipo's I'm running right now are, I could mount a pair of them on the sliders as well. Might try that out and see how it works.
stillsmokin875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

This is good to see as I need to figure something out for my JKU bodied ascender!
Dextroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsmokin875 View Post
Never liked the plastic Vaterra rock sliders that come on the rig, so I made my own out of 3/16" thick aluminum plate. Actually just ordered the plate to the dimensions (3/16" x 3" x 6") I wanted to tuck between the wheels. Bent the plates in my 6" vise and measured the corners and bent them up to follow the frame and keep from catching on rocks. I like the way they turned out, and they work well on the rocks. Note that if you want to make these yourself you may need a different width. Mine were measured to fit my Pro-line Jeep Cherokee body which is smaller width then the stock blazer body.
Those came out nicely. If they work well, some steel versions would slide even better on the rocks. Keep us updated after they get some battle scars.

Quote:
Cool, but I've gotten a couple hours crawling with stock RTR electronics and Orion 4600mah 2S lipo so far and it's still got charge left in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsmokin875 View Post
As small as the lipo's I'm running right now are, I could mount a pair of them on the sliders as well. Might try that out and see how it works.
A pair of 2200mah or less lipos should fit nicely.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I was thinking dual 5200mah for my sides
Old 07-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was thinking dual 5200mah for my sides
That's a lot of weight and tends to adversely affect the crawling imo.

@StillSmokin875, forgot to say that those sliders came out really clean including your attachment points. The more I look at them, the more I really like them.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I won't be running the 5200 s for crawling. Only for messing around and long trips. I'll be keeping the shorties around for when im crawling

Ascender Aluminum Rock Sliders - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New SSD Side Sliders for Ascender Blazer SSD Vaterra Ascender 21 05-25-2015 08:21 PM
Need Custom Aluminum or Steel Bumpers and Sliders! alexchen86 Axial SCX-10 11 08-20-2012 10:27 AM
No aluminum Maxx sliders? :( MacMan General Crawlers 15 06-13-2004 07:18 PM