Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Jato The Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Jato The Ascender

Remember also that when the center of the wheel is farther from the steering axis that it increases the scrub radius, which increases turning radius, and increases leverage on steering mechanism.
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
One set of the Beef Patties are brass and the other aluminum? That's the problem with GearHead wheels, is the are too wide on most trucks unless you run them 'backwards' which often still makes them too wide (plus they don't look as good built this way.)
Yes, sir. They offer brass and aluminum instead of two different sizes of brass discs to make them different weights.

TSS, on the other hand, makes both their front and back SLW Brake Drums in brass, but they are different sizes which makes them different weights.

Unfortunately, the larger "front" weights won't work with these wheels. At least not without modification. Here are the smaller "rear" drums mounted.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #23

I took my Ascender on a trail run on Saturday. I decided to stick with the Gear Head wheels and Pitbull Rock Beast tires because they were both weighted with Beef Patties. The increased offset of the wheels didn't cause an issue. I had some body rub, but nothing major and much less than I had anticipated. For the most part, it really stayed planted with this setup. I think I can definitely use some more weight down low.

The next step is to figure out a way to use my TSS Brake Drum weights on all 4 wheels. I will have to modify them to get the heavier, front weights to work on the 8-holers.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Default Jato The Ascender

I love those action shots of your truck!

I have a set of Those SS drums too. I would need to modify them to fit my Fanquish wheels, but they fit the Locked Up SLW wheels very nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sammy J.; 05-16-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Sammy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy J. View Post
I love those action shots of your truck!

I have a set of Those SS drums too. I would need to modify them to fit my Fanquish wheels, but they fit the Locked Up SLW wheels very nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the compliment!

Your wheels look great. The more I look at LockedUp wheels the more I like them. Are you using both the large and small TSS brake drum weights?

Can you guys recommend a 3S shorty pack to fit in the stock Ascender battery tray?
Old 05-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Default Jato The Ascender

I am using both sets of SS brake drums. Haven't really run them enough to form an opinion, but certainly like them more than lead stick ons. They also are pretty pricey, but that's never stopped me!

I use the Turnigy 3S 2200 mAh pack. It would "kind of" fit in the stock tray, but sat too close to the motor for me to be comfortable with it. I did end up changing to the JCAD battery mount and now have about 7mm clearance between the battery and motor. I am also now SORRCA legal in case I decide to run the Ascender in competition events.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #27

Quote:
I am using both sets of SS brake drums. Haven't really run them enough to form an opinion, but certainly like them more than lead stick ons. They also are pretty pricey, but that's never stopped me!

I use the Turnigy 3S 2200 mAh pack. It would "kind of" fit in the stock tray, but sat too close to the motor for me to be comfortable with it. I did end up changing to the JCAD battery mount and now have about 7mm clearance between the battery and motor. I am also now SORRCA legal in case I decide to run the Ascender in competition events.

Who makes the stainless steel brake drums?

Thanks for the heads up on the battery. I will check it out. I do want to keep the stock battery tray though because I think it sort of defines the Ascender and I have no reason to remove it since I won't be running comps.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

I wasn't referring to stainless steel drums. I was referring to Scale Shop. Sorry for the confusion!

Old 05-20-2016, 06:05 AM   #29

Quote:
I wasn't referring to stainless steel drums. I was referring to Scale Shop. Sorry for the confusion!

No worries! That was the engineer in me. Every time I see SS it means stainless steel. LOL
Old 05-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

C'mon, SS means Super Sport. Noob...
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:31 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

It sure did in the '60s!
Old 05-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Haha. It used to. And then Chevy cut the nuts off of the meaning of "Super Sport" when they stuck that emblem on every model they made in the 90's.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:56 AM   #33

I had my Ascender out this weekend. Good thing I completely sealed the receiver box with Shoe Goo because it went swimming upside down. I tested shallow waters that got deep too quickly. LOL The electronics came out unscathed.

I also had a tumble or two down hills that I was trying to climb. I made a "secret" mod to my truck and it definitely helped on the climbs.

Side hilling is still compromised by the tall and heavy body. That's when things got hairy and my links paid the price. I'm honestly baffled by how easily my links have bent. I've never had these issues with Axial aluminum links. So my quest to find new links has begun.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Hehehe, nice crawling. Is the secret mod your improved rear link geometry? That's odd, because I've had the exact opposite experience with Axial vs Vaterra stock aluminum links. For new links, the Vaterra HD machined aluminum lowers have been great. SSD titanium links are a great choice too.

Any plans for steel sliders?

Love the look on the GearHead beadlocks with 1.9 Pitbull Rockbeasts. I'm looking at similar sized tires for my second Ascender, since my Ascender number 1 now has C3 Duratrax 1.9 DeepWoods on it. Like to have a more stockish stance like yours. My 1.9 Wrascenderaith will eventually get the C3 tires and wheels too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I had my Ascender out this weekend. Good thing I completely sealed the receiver box with Shoe Goo because it went swimming upside down. I tested shallow waters that got deep too quickly. LOL The electronics came out unscathed.

I also had a tumble or two down hills that I was trying to climb. I made a "secret" mod to my truck and it definitely helped on the climbs.

Side hilling is still compromised by the tall and heavy body. That's when things got hairy and my links paid the price. I'm honestly baffled by how easily my links have bent. I've never had these issues with Axial aluminum links. So my quest to find new links has begun.
[img]
https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7712/28270929162_f9014097d6_c.jpg[/img]
Hey JatoTheRipper, have you considered trying some weight down lower in your Axles? Might help with your side hilling. Ask Pete959 how his are working.
Ernie.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Hehehe, nice crawling. Is the secret mod your improved rear link geometry? That's odd, because I've had the exact opposite experience with Axial vs Vaterra stock aluminum links. For new links, the Vaterra HD machined aluminum lowers have been great. SSD titanium links are a great choice too.

Any plans for steel sliders?

Love the look on the GearHead beadlocks with 1.9 Pitbull Rockbeasts. I'm looking at similar sized tires for my second Ascender, since my Ascender number 1 now has C3 Duratrax 1.9 DeepWoods on it. Like to have a more stockish stance like yours. My 1.9 Wrascenderaith will eventually get the C3 tires and wheels too.
Haha! No, the secret mod does no involve the links. I'm analyzing if it's worth producing this mod and offering it for sale. If not I will share the secret on this thread.

I need help in the links area. I think I'm going to go with the SSD titanium links.

No plans for steel sliders. Personally, I feel these are more of a hindrance than a help out on the trail. Are you running steel sliders?

Thank you. I love the look of the Gear Head/Pitbull combo too. Gear Head wheels are my favorite and these tires work very well despite the relatively small diameter and they fit this body so well. What tires are you going to go with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey JatoTheRipper, have you considered trying some weight down lower in your Axles? Might help with your side hilling. Ask Pete959 how his are working.
Ernie.
I have thought about it. I was hoping somebody would product some brass axle tubes. Thank you for the info. I will contact Pete!
Old 07-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

SSD is good stuff and good customer support.

I like having sliders and the steel ones that Ernie made for me work very well...way better than the plastic stockers that flex around too much. Plus they are weight down low.

Good to hear you're liking the wheels and tires. I like the size and look of Proline BFG All-Terrain KO2
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...n-truck-tires/

Ernie is making nice brass axle tubes for the Ascener.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #38

I tried the Vaterra TSL tires with the CCI closed cell foams on my Sawback last month. I was completely unimpressed. The performance was horrible and it couldn't climb up simple things that any other tire would climb with ease. I'm sure the foams are hindering the tire's performance, but even with better foams I don't think I would like the tires so they will go on the shelf.

My Ascender hasn't gotten much action because of the bent links. I finally went ahead and ordered the SSD titanium set now that it's available.

These are the two stock. lower, rear links. I honestly can't believe they bend this easily. I'm baffled. I've never had issues with links like this. All of my other trucks still have stock links!

The SSD links are awesome. Very nice. No burrs like you find on Vanquish parts! The only thing that disappoints me is that the grub screws are less than a 1/2" long so you get less than 1/4" of thread in the plastic ball end and the same amount inside the threaded link. It should hold up fine, but it's something I will watch.

I got the rear links installed. The length is perfect. I'm waiting to install the fronts because I have a CODYBOY front axle on the way. I'm excited for that. I think my Ascender is going to end up being very front heavy, too front heavy in fact, so I will probably get a rear CODYBOY axle as well.

Oh and here's my "secret" mod I've been running. This and the CODYBOY axle are the reason I think my truck will end up being too front-heavy. I bought a piece of brass from McMaster-Carr and put two countersunk holes in it to mount to the battery tray. As you can seel, I actually made 4 countersunk holes, but I only used the rear 2 to hold it to the battery tray. This gets a nice amount of weight way down low. I call it the "Meat Stick"

This is extremely simple to make on your own. And I highly recommend it if you still have the stock battery tray. You have to trim both sizes of the brass and then drill two countersunk holes. The McMaster-Carr part number is: 8954K146
Old 09-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Cool idea with the meat stick! Would it be possible to mount it under the tray?

Btw, are ya near Pittsburgh? I'd love to find some of those spots your trailing at....
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I tried the Vaterra TSL tires with the CCI closed cell foams on my Sawback last month. I was completely unimpressed. The performance was horrible and it couldn't climb up simple things that any other tire would climb with ease. I'm sure the foams are hindering the tire's performance, but even with better foams I don't think I would like the tires so they will go on the shelf.

My Ascender hasn't gotten much action because of the bent links. I finally went ahead and ordered the SSD titanium set now that it's available.

These are the two stock. lower, rear links. I honestly can't believe they bend this easily. I'm baffled. I've never had issues with links like this. All of my other trucks still have stock links!

The SSD links are awesome. Very nice. No burrs like you find on Vanquish parts! The only thing that disappoints me is that the grub screws are less than a 1/2" long so you get less than 1/4" of thread in the plastic ball end and the same amount inside the threaded link. It should hold up fine, but it's something I will watch.

I got the rear links installed. The length is perfect. I'm waiting to install the fronts because I have a CODYBOY front axle on the way. I'm excited for that. I think my Ascender is going to end up being very front heavy, too front heavy in fact, so I will probably get a rear CODYBOY axle as well.

Oh and here's my "secret" mod I've been running. This and the CODYBOY axle are the reason I think my truck will end up being too front-heavy. I bought a piece of brass from McMaster-Carr and put two countersunk holes in it to mount to the battery tray. As you can seel, I actually made 4 countersunk holes, but I only used the rear 2 to hold it to the battery tray. This gets a nice amount of weight way down low. I call it the "Meat Stick"

This is extremely simple to make on your own. And I highly recommend it if you still have the stock battery tray. You have to trim both sizes of the brass and then drill two countersunk holes. The McMaster-Carr part number is: 8954K146
Way to think outside the box!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Jato The Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Ascender Built, One Bad ascender CustomCrawlRCMike Vaterra Ascender 3 07-03-2015 03:45 PM
E-JATO Help please djjerbeck Non Crawler RC's 0 03-29-2014 12:36 AM
Anyone got a Jato 3.3? XJkid93 Non Crawler RC's 1 06-29-2013 09:16 PM