Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: First RC ever - kit - anybody want to advise me as I build it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #1

Default First RC ever - kit - anybody want to advise me as I build it?

I bought the Blazer kit today. I still need everything else. I'm going to build this with my 8 year old daughter, it will be the first (real) RC vehicle for either of us.

For starters it looks like I need a motor right away according to the build instructions. Any advice. I want my electronics to be good enough that they don't break, but not top end (this is, after all for a 8 year old). Vaterra website recommends a 35t 540 motor (whatever that means). I'm also looking to make this vehicle waterproof (as much as it can be).

OK, I need to take a break now and let my daughter know I picked up the truck today!

Last edited by mjconlgeton; 10-12-2017 at 08:51 PM. Reason: to change "Bronco" to "Blazer"
mjconlgeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: First RC ever - kit - anybody want to advise me as I build it?

The team brood racing 35t machine wound motors are amazing smooth and powerful. The hobby wing 1080 esc is a great first esc. Hitec 7955 is great servo and has an amazing warranty.

149 r/c worx/scalerfab/team brood.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Congrats! You picked an awesome truck with an awesome, knowledgeable, group of people who will definitely help you through any rough spots you might get in. I recommend checking out Natedog's, CODYBOY'S, Yeti.Stealth's and the "Tips before building" threads for some solid info on these trucks. Mine's ok too if you're bored. You said Bronco kit... They don't make a kit version of the Bronco. So if you indeed have the Bronco, it's an RTR or ready to run after you get a battery for it. No need to build. The Blazer body comes with the Ascender kit.

That being said... Snapon boy is spot on in his recommendations. I'm more of a Holmes guy but the Brood motors are nice. Hobby Wing 1080 is the best ESC on the market at that price point hands down. Solid choice. For the servo I personally like the solar D772. Tons of torque. Decent speed and after a dunk in Plastidip, completely waterproof. And did I mention they're like $25? Buy 3 or 4 for the price of a Savox or Hitec and just as much torque, if not more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
The team brood racing 35t machine wound motors are amazing smooth and powerful. The hobby wing 1080 esc is a great first esc. Hitec 7955 is great servo and has an amazing warranty.

What Fish said, all are great recommendations for new electronics.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 10-12-2017 at 08:56 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

. The power HD servos have been good to several of my club members they are 25.00 . I personally have not used them. I use hitec and promoddlers

Last edited by snapon boy; 10-12-2017 at 09:09 PM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #6

OK. I went with the Hobbywing 1080ESC and a Holmes 540 t35 motor. I'm still looking at waterproof servos. Didn't know about Plastidip until now. Also need to find a transmitter and receiver. Probably need something at least 3 channels, maybe 4 in case I ever add something. I would like to add lights at some point (and maybe sound) but want to at least build it first.

Good first night. Daughter and I built the transmission.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #7
RCC Addict

A Flysky GT3B or GT3C is a great budget radio, has 3 channels and can be "hacked" to have up to 8 channels.

Good choice on you motor/esc combo.

Lots of people get away with it, but plasti-dip is a dangerous way to waterproof. It can end up trapping water inside and causing more damage than not waterproofing at all. Your esc is waterproof already, and brushed motors are inherently waterproof (just be aware of minerals like salt or other contaminants like sand/dirt getting in it) so no worries there. Your servo will be the only point that you need to waterproof yourself and I recommend conformal coating to do the job properly (or you could just buy a a waterproof servo)..

Last edited by QuesoDelDiablo; 10-13-2017 at 02:59 PM.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #8

I'm strongly considering the Flysky GT3C transmitter. My only concern is the size of my daughters hands. She is a petite 8 year old. Any good receivers for a 8 year old's hands?

Also still looking for a waterproof servo. I think I want to just buy a waterproof one because by the time I buy one and waterproof it, i could have just bought a waterproof one.

Which just leaves a battery and charger.

I really appreciate the help. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos the last couple days, but still it is a bit confusing.

We've got the transmission and front differential, axels and CVs put together now. She is learning a lot and so am I. It is fun also.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjconlgeton View Post
I'm strongly considering the Flysky GT3C transmitter. My only concern is the size of my daughters hands. She is a petite 8 year old. Any good receivers for a 8 year old's hands?

Also still looking for a waterproof servo. I think I want to just buy a waterproof one because by the time I buy one and waterproof it, i could have just bought a waterproof one.

Which just leaves a battery and charger.

I really appreciate the help. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos the last couple days, but still it is a bit confusing.

We've got the transmission and front differential, axels and CVs put together now. She is learning a lot and so am I. It is fun also.
My 7y.o. regularly uses my GT3 without too much trouble. For a servo check out the Savox 0231 MG. Budget friendly, not the strongest on the block but better than any RTR servo and waterproof.

Sounds like you're getting into the links section of the manual. The instructions in this section are just terrible. They omit the panhard bar completely. Go here for detailed pics for ALL the wheelbase options. Ascender Wheel Base & Link Reference Guide
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #10

We worked on the shocks tonight. I'm wondering how much rebound to build into the shock? Not knowing any better I have almost full rebound on them, but I suspect I want almost no rebound?

Anybody have thoughts on this?
Old 10-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

General concensus I believe, is the truck likes about 50%ish droop (back off your springs retainer screw as much as you can) with an internal limit of 5-10mm. A lot of people take the rubber bumper that goes on the end of the shaft down by your lower ball joint and move it inside the shock body. I also personally have taken to drilling a tiny hole in the lower spring cup and wiring the spring cup to the spring so you don't loose them which tends to happen with your spring pre-load so light. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:53 AM   #12

Thanks for all the help so far. I've now attached the front differential and steering assembly to the frame, but the steering looks odd. The servo has to put in much more throw to turn the truck left as opposed to right. also the servo arm is not centered when the wheels are pointed forward. As this is my first build this may be perfectly normal. I know I have to set a lot of this with my transmitter.

Please see pics below:

Right Throw:

Left Throw:

Thanks, Getting close to running!

Last edited by mjconlgeton; 11-12-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Pictures not working, find somewhere other than photobucket crap site to host pictures or buy RCC star and upload them here.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
RCC Addict

How have you mounted the servo? Is it the sideways mount?
If so, you need a shorter link from the servo to the hub, don't know if the shorter link is in the kit.
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Good point Yeti.stealth, this shorter steering link did not used to be in the kit, but hopefully incorporated in current kitsw.

You could run draglink from servo to top of knuckle like I did on my K10. This requires little longer link, iirc 85mm eye to eye.

Last edited by Natedog; 11-12-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #16

I took some measurements. The servo is mounted lengthwise with the length of the truck (314mm setup). However, it appears that I need a shorter link between the servo and the hub. By my measurement I need a 34mm link. The truck comes with a 38 mm link only.

Maybe the servo I have is just different? Savox 0231MG. I don't see a different link size on the vaterra website for order.... everything is mounted exactly like the manual, so it is weird to see the 4mm discrepancy.

I'll look at it again tomorrow to see if anything clicks at that time.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Go to page 6 of the thread in the link below and have a read and look at the pics, it might help. I had some steering woes after changing my servo from longways to sideways mount.

There are two different size rods for the different servo positions. All info about it Starts on page 6 of the other thread. Hope it helps.

New Ascender Version Coming?
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote

First RC ever - kit - anybody want to advise me as I build it? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
9 months later finishing Dingo! Build advise? Formiga Axial SCX-10 9 11-10-2012 01:59 PM
Newb need advise on first crawler build ElectroTech Newbie General 0 06-29-2012 09:28 AM
Looking for advise on rock crawler build rcpitlane Newbie General 8 11-27-2010 02:39 PM
New LCC to build - Advise/suggestions welcome wags Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 05-13-2010 11:59 AM
Need build advise Mudtoy Newbie General 4 01-26-2008 01:03 PM